Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    I feel I should mention that I have no experience with the clark hammock, just the under quilt.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I'm with Trambo, I would go with a quality under quilt 1st, could always use a modified sleeping bag as a top quilt. You probably already have a sleeping bag you could modify.
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    hawkerev, whats a good temp rating for the underquilt in the southeast for oct-nov up in the mountains? Some people have told me they use a top quilt that is rated 20 degrees higher than the temp they are camping in and an underquilt rated at the temp rating ... example 40 degree top quilt and 20 degree bottom quilt for 20 degree weather. That seems backwards to me since heat rises but if it works it works. Just wondering what you think since you fairly close and camp in similar a climate.

The solution to staying warm is pretty easy if you're car camping or going a few miles for an over night. I am a long distance backpacker, though and I'm trying to come up with something that doesn't weigh me down too much and also doesn't take up a huge amount of room in my pack.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    hawkerev, whats a good temp rating for the underquilt in the southeast for oct-nov up in the mountains? Some people have told me they use a top quilt that is rated 20 degrees higher than the temp they are camping in and an underquilt rated at the temp rating ... example 40 degree top quilt and 20 degree bottom quilt for 20 degree weather. That seems backwards to me since heat rises but if it works it works.
    That's what I did all winter, most every night one winter in NJ, and then last winter in Portland, wet and typically to 35F. TQ was just 7oz of good down.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I lived in NJ back in the 70s and early eighties. It sure was cold there in the winter when the wind was blowing in from the Atlantic. I worked as a counselor at Roosevelt Scout Reservation one summer. We used to joke that the NJ state bird was the mosquito. I have fond memories of my times there (mostly).

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: Insulation ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo.aka.sail1987 View Post
    You should Invest in a quality under quilt. Then try to diy top quilt or blankets. It is more difficult to get unders to fit correctly. Top quilts are easy to fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Some people have told me they use a top quilt that is rated 20 degrees higher than the temp they are camping in and an underquilt rated at the temp rating ... example 40 degree top quilt and 20 degree bottom quilt for 20 degree weather....
    It's this type of information that is worth the price of admission . Thanks for sharing!
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I have 40* TQ and UQ and 20* TQ & UQ , can mix and match to meet my needs. Down packs down really small.

Have some DIY PLUQ we made with Climashield APEX 5.0, folded over in the middle. Works fine down to 30* far as we tested it ... but it is bulky.

Some of the DIY kits or the new duck down are next on my list. By the way I bought all my UQ & TQ used or on sale ... if you have time and can shop some you can buy value.
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    I've been looking for some good step by step instructions for a down top quilt. I've found a few very good instructions but they were custom made by people who were shorter and thinner than me. Length is easy to scale up, but I'm not so sure how to scale up width. If anyone has thoughts on widths please let me know. It seems that 48, 50 or 55 inches at the wide end are common.
    Have you seen this instructional in the Top Insulation section. It seems pretty detailed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yes thanks, I did see that one and it is very detailed BUT unless I missed something it just states that the width was selected to be 48 tapering to 36. Those dimensions may work for others or they may not ... don't know. Its a lot of work to go through to find out your quilt is 6 inches too narrow the first time you use it. It is an excellent "how to" DIY for everything else though.

Make a template to test size prior to sewing your actual TQ or UQ. You can use an old sheet, for example.
    jt

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12