New to Hennessey - low headroom?

I'm new to Hennessy hammocks, so I may be having some culture/hammock shock compared to my old one. In the past, I've used a DD Frontline, nice double bottom and warm. I decided to try the Hennessy, they're made well, well reviewed and very popular. Ok, so made the jump - initially impressed with everything.

First issue - wow, that's a small tarp. Ok, lightens the load, and can work so no real issue.

Second issue - holy cow, no headroom. In my DD, I often sat up to read or talk with other backpacking mates. Sotting up in the Hennessy, the Bugnet is close and you get the ridge line (nice feature) in the head (not nice feature).

So, my question to you all... Is this how they are (low headroom) or am I hanging it too tight? I had to keep it fairly tight otherwise it hung too low for the small tarp to do anything. I tried it with more slack, and it hung way below the tarp - rendering the tarp useless had it rained. I suppose closer trees would help lessen that issue, just can't use as wide a tree gap as I did with the DD, at least while using the stock Hennessy tarp. Anyway, tarp is no problem - but I was really surprised by the low headroom - is that right? Any and all tips welcome.

Hammock
    Dutch hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    HG Underquilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    what hammock did you get?
    #1 I bought a Explorer Delux. and got a Expedition free. on the Expedition yes, ridgeline a little close.
    #2 Tarp size is large when you think its 2 inches away from bugnet. My second trip was in oregon for a month. rained every day. Worked well.
    #3 you have a ridgeline keeps the hang angle the same.

My Hennessy Hammock is where I sleep. I also pack a Grand Trunk Hammock ultralight to read, cook, sit and enjoy the view from.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I have both and I have found that the Hennessy is not as roomy or comfortable as my DD ! I have 2 styles of DD hammocks and they are both more comfortable than my Hennessy. Not sure what the comfort factor is but it's there .
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling

Hennessey

I have the Hennessey Expedition zip model, with the Hex/larger tarp. Living in Louisiana, and doing more base camping than backpacking at present, the huge hex tarp is proving a good upgrade for me. I have been through days and days of downpour with the hex 18-24 inches above my hammock ridge line without a drop of water.

In terms of low head room, sitting up, etc., not sure pitch/tautness makes much difference. I guess it is a little low. You do have to duck under it when sitting back or coming out. I tie out to get max spread of bug net, but still a little snug. I usually just jackknife out my right knee to get more spread. If you do the pad thing, as opposed to Under Quilt, use a wide pad, this will give more spread too.

Finally, you probably could stick an air pillow or something soft, but light and wide between ridge line and net to spread a little. Not sure it would be enough...
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsiaddict60 View Post
    My Hennessy Hammock is where I sleep. I also pack a Grand Trunk Hammock ultralight to read, cook, sit and enjoy the view from.

This... I have an ENO to lounge in, the HH Explorer is for sleeping.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Get a Safari zip...you can sit up in it with no ridge line hitting your head, unzip it for lounging and sitting, has hex tarp etc. Had an Expedition Classic for years and it's just not versatile enough and I had to do like pepsiaddict60 and cbbr and haul another hammock for lounging...so I really didn't save any weight or space in the end. Safari Zip takes care of all the issues I once had with Hennessy. Highly recommend.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I have three HH, the Safari has the highest ridge line. Too high for me to reach the little ridge line pocket.

To sum up it depends on which model you choose and your torso length.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a Expedition Asym Classic and while the tarp is small, I have yet to get wet under it as long as I tie it down per the instructions for bad weather on the HH web site. There is no place to actually sit under the tarp so I only use it when I need to really lighten my load.

I can see where headroom is an issue especially for someone taller than my 5' 2". I have a classic entry to therefore don't use my HH to sit up in but there is an answer for those who want to. This is a link to one of the forum vendors. http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/index.html They can modify your HH so you can unzip the bug screen and I believe even disconnect the ridge line just so you can sit in it if you want. I am sending my HH off over the winter for the zipper mod #4 just to add versatility to it.

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by WakarusaRiverGypsy View Post
    Get a Safari zip...you can sit up in it with no ridge line hitting your head, unzip it for lounging and sitting, has hex tarp etc. Had an Expedition Classic for years and it's just not versatile enough and I had to do like pepsiaddict60 and cbbr and haul another hammock for lounging...so I really didn't save any weight or space in the end. Safari Zip takes care of all the issues I once had with Hennessy. Highly recommend.

Don't get me wrong - I like having the second hammock. I rigged it with cords & prussic knots so it weighs very little and it lets me sit and do things like cook & eat/drink without worrying about my bed. I can also set it up close to the "community" area on a campsite while keeping my HH further away so I can go to bed whenever. If I was only going to carry one, I would get the 2QzQ Mod 4 and a detachable ridgeline from Dutch.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

Hex tarp; Don't sit up

First issue - Tarp size. I've never heard of anybody complaining about getting wet with the standard HH tarp. That said, since I am not a backpacker (i.e., weight is almost irrelevant), I opted for the larger hex tarp -- and have been quite happy therewith.

Second issue - headroom while sitting up. That seems strange to me. I'm never sitting up in my hammock -- unless I'm entering or exiting. The design of the hammock doesn't really support sitting up a lot comfortably inside the hammock.

• + New Posts