Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've read that the TC hammocks have been tested to 450#.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    dream hammock made a 90" wide hammock in the beginning. he may still be able to do so

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I know of no other hammock wider than the Ticket to the Moon Mammock. It is 20 x 10 feet

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Yes, my pink crinkle taffeta hammock is 90" wide. Nothing new there, and yes they can handle weight with no problem for those that are bigger. Scroll down to the crinkle taffeta and pick your length of 132" or 156". They are having 20% off right now. No sewing required, but it isn't for the ultra light backpackers. http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...Sashes-s/1.htm

Hope you didn't put forth too much money, although that is one interesting tarp. I wouldn't want it that low all of the time. Heck never thought to add the bugnet to the actual tarp, not that I ever will, but still kind of neat turn on the bugnet.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll probably go with the Pares, the Hammock Bliss Triple, or a custom Dream Hammock. Dream Hammocks are better quality than the Hammock Bliss ones correct?

****, the Ticket to the Moon one is huge, but that's actually too big for what I need it for.

Diva B, I thought sewing was required for the DIY hammocks. Do you have a link to the instructions?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Red face

I got one of the triple hammock bliss ones and except for being mislead about the wieght from that website,( gofastandlight.com ) the hammock seems to be very nice and alot more reasonably priced than the dream hammocks, this is just my opinion though..

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Best Wide Camping Hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    Diva B, I thought sewing was required for the DIY hammocks. Do you have a link to the instructions?
    Here is one way...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=62832
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    At Kickstarter, I just backed the Sierra Madre Research Nube at the top tier, which includes a Pares hammock: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y-sierra-madre

At 6.5 feet wide, the Pares is one of the widest camping hammocks I've seen. The only other one I know of that's wider is the ENO Double Deluxe, which is a whopping 8' 4" wide: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...LE-DELUXE.html

However, the Double Deluxe got some bad reviews at REI due to a seam that goes down the middle: http://www.rei.com/product/814102/en...-header-814102 so although it's not as wide, I still feel inclined to go with the Pares. There aren't many reviews on the Pares yet, but from the few I've seen at these forums, at Amazon, and at the Sierra Madre website, they're all practically 5 star reviews.

Are there any other camping hammocks out there that are high quality and wide for perpendicular sleeping? Thanks

Please excuse the ignorance... what is the purpose of such a wide hammock, as Im finding that too wide will just swallow you up, not to mention with a sideways lay theres no tarp big enough to cover you from the elements and if its a "share the moment with a friend" kind of thing, then Im guessing its just a daytime hammock and not for sleeping.... also if you want more than just 1 friend with you in the hammock.... shouldnt it not have a more/better weight capacity than 400 pounds?...just queastions I have... thank you very much for all comments..... Chris
    Last edited by dragon383; 08-26-2013 at 22:34.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Where is Gresh at? He has a DIY hammock he calls the "Swamp Sling". I think he said it was around 10' wide.
    -Ryan and Kyle Baker, Owners
    www.AppalachianHammock.com

Thanks Saedy and Brute. I'll consider those options.

Dragon, that's a good point. The reason I want an extra wide hammock is because I sleep almost on my stomach with my arm going up under my head.

This way I'd need about 7.5 feet. My understanding is that sleeping perpendicular to the anchor points gives you the flattest lay, and I think I'd need that width because of the way I need to sleep.

Here's part of a message I got from Richard, creator of the Nube tarp:

"I too sleep diagonally (~45degrees), the Nubé is very spacious inside. You should have no problem in it. If you set it up so that the wings are pulled to their maximum distance it opens the Nubé up considerably more. You may not want to try sleeping 90 degrees but 45 should be no issue whatsoever."

If I can still get a very flat lay, maybe I should stick with the Pares, which is 6.5 feet wide, and take his suggestion to go for 45 degrees rather than 90?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast