WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    The answer is simple and several have hinted at it. Supply and demand. HH and ENO are mass produced. Making them easy to get at just about any time. The vendors here are all long waits and if one comes up it is gone fast. Think cars that are built in low numbers per year ys sports cars that are massed produced.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    So.. at the risk of kicking the hornets nest, what happened with TH's patent stuff?
    As I understand it, not a whole lot. Everybody kept making hammocks, and as I understand it Warbonnet has gone down the same path as HH and applied for patents of their own, specifically the footbox design. Somewhat ironic, really.

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    stock HH
    Suspension
    'biners & rings
    Knowing I needed a hammock strong enough to handle my weight, and the fact that I would never hike farther than 30'(unless the keg was farther away ), I opted for a HH Safari and I'm completely satisfied a couple years down the pike. Like others here, I'd never consider HH a beginner brand or product.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Beginner? Matter of Opinion

I don't think people on HF are anti-HH. I just think that those who pick up a HH system probably don't need a forum as much as those with other setups.

Like many have discussed the HH is often the first hammock many of us get hold of. I have three now from my first year of hammocks. And no I'm not selling them because they are a good piece of kit for my boys. However, the more I learned (and practiced) with other hammocks, the farther I have gotten from my HH. Not out of disrespect, just as a natural evolution.

The Hennessey Hammock's strength is it all-in-one design. From the Insulation system to the snake skins to the tarp to the UC/OC setup, like a Mac computer everything works together and matches up. Of course that is also its weakness. Like a Mac, third party accessories don't always match. And like a Mac, you love it, or just use something else.

In short,
    HH strengths;
    -tarp sleeves
    -insulation system
    -integrated tarp
    -durability
    -price
    -service.

HH weak points;
    -diamond shape tarp didn't give great coverage
    -bottom entry restrictive (can't remove mesh, climbing over gear as you enter, and can't adjust UQ once inside).
    -weight
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    I'm amazed that anyone could consider a $200+ HH to be a beginners setup. Hammocks are so simple to make, I put together my first hammock, tarp and suspension for well under $50. It only took a few minutes and the end result was roomier, lighter, much easier to adjust than an HH. I also awarded myself a lifetime, no-quibble, guarantee, no matter how much I modify it. lol
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    >snip<

In short,
    HH strengths;
    -tarp sleeves
    -insulation system
    -integrated tarp
    -durability
    -price
    -service.

HH weak points;
    -diamond shape tarp didn't give great coverage
    -bottom entry restrictive (can't remove mesh, climbing over gear as you enter, and can't adjust UQ once inside).
    -weight
    the diamond tarp does work though when used properly. They also addressed the issue years ago with the hex tarp.

2QZQ addressed the access problem. Personally I much prefer the bottom entry over messing with a zipper.

FWIW - the real question is why so many people jump on "get a Warbonnet and put one whoopy slings". ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    wwbb 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    wb adj.webbing
    My first hammock was a Hennessy, I had a couple of problems with my order at the time but their customer service was exceptional. My biggest disappointment with it was, It was manufactured in China.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    the diamond tarp does work though when used properly. They also addressed the issue years ago with the hex tarp.

2QZQ addressed the access problem. Personally I much prefer the bottom entry over messing with a zipper.

FWIW - the real question is why so many people jump on "get a Warbonnet and put one whoopy slings". ;-)

The HHs I bought had the smaller diamond tarps, but even with the slightly larger one there are still issues in some areas (NW Coast) where the rain comes sideways that you need a little room. On rain days you end up needing a larger tarp for setting up and gear anyway so the first thing lots of people do is get a bigger tarp. I ended up buying a HH Hex Tarp (I like the corner line pockets). I now prefer my DIY Tyvek Tarp, but take my HH Hexfly about half the time.

2QZQ do great work, but when you factor in the cost it makes other hammock systems start to look more economical.

So why do people jump on (and in) their Warbonnet? After costs are factored in ($120 for a HH Hex fly, $50 for 2QZQ) the Warbonnet, and the Snipe, and even my GT double start to look just as good.

I think at the end of the day it is a similar argument to Apple vs. Android. Apple is a little pricier, integrates well as a full package, and is very user friendly. Android's opensource however provides some specialty options that are must haves for some Android owners. Personally, I almost bought an IPhone, but I can't stand the keyboard, love Android's Swiftkey.

So at the end of the day, I would recommend a HH setup for a friend jumping into hammock camping first time. For me, who has a bigger focus on ultralight, water protection, and winter camping, I like the flexibility the other vendors offer.

For one or two day trips with sideways rain I like my HH Hexfly with my Blackbird in a drybag cinchsack.

For short winter camps (that are likely no rain or snow in the forecast) I take my GT double and a back up Tyvek tarp that I likely won't even set up so I can look at the stars and not worry about any condensation, though I add a stink load of bottom insulation thanks to HG and AHE and Dutch. My GT needs no sleeves or a dry bag, it packs into its own little pouch and even if it got wet, it would dry quickly once hung under my tarp and left to air out. My tarp is then stored on the outside of my pack by shock cord.

For long winter camps I bring my Tyvek Tarp, my Ridgerunner, and a small Tyvek tarp for a ground sheet for gear (assuming I'm not hanging it) and as a Just in Case if I have problems with my large tarp.

And for buggy and hot summer days, I prefer my blackbird just because it's double layer. There I go with a small tyvek tarp and pack it all into a lightweight cinchsack.

The Hennessey is like a swiss army knife. It does everything you want quite well. But some of us don't need the corkscrew and don't care how our nails look, so we buy a nice UL Izula or CRKT knife, and bring a titanium spork. and use a wood sliver for a toothpick.

Again, the HH is a brilliant hammock evolution, it's just that for those looking for something different, it's really nice to have this forum.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I think my hex fly is out of his first batch. I know I had to wait for it to be shipped separate and the timing was about right. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Dutch
    I was never impressed by them.Too pricey for what they offer.Better invest your time to customize a system that works best for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678