DH RoamingGnome
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    ALL HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How come HH don't sell well on here?

Just wondering as I have one for sale right now. I have noticed that in the past they typically don't sell very well on the forum. Any I ideas why? I know a good bit of you guys are WWBB people. Which is understandable as I love my WWBB. I just would have thought the HH would have gotten a bit more love than it seams like they do. Ive seen previous HH not sell at all which i find odd. It seams like any other hammock goes in seconds.

Since I'm a newbie, I don't know (but am willing to make a guess).

Could it be that the HH falls on the side of a beginner hammock, and this forum is full of experienced people? That would explain why there would be some that don't sell. People buy them elsewhere, find this forum, then "move on" to something like the WBBB.

Just my best guess.

FWIW, I started with a GT Skeeter Beeter Pro, but already have my eye on the WBBB (and Superfly, and...).

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm still new as well and have no experience with a HH but would agree with firecracker4 and guess that it is because it is viewed as a "beginner" hammock.

BTW, love your signature line.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Images
    i like HH hammocks and MAY be looking for a new UL Explorer, but your price is a little high and with the sale coming up i can get a scout for my grandson free.

my old Explorer UL has about 250+ trail nights on it.

PS i am not a beginner
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    +1 on beginner hammock. My first hammock was an HH Expedition. I never use it anymore but I wouldn't try to sell it because people expect deep discounts on used Hennessys.

On the other hand, I don't understand why people are willing to pay nearly full retail price for a used Warbonnet hammock - but it happens all the time. I would buy a new one rather than pay nearly full retail price. To each their own.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I recall the thread talking about HH's being "beginner hammocks"...which I don't personally agree with.

The price, especially for anything more than the Expedition, is anything but 'entry level' in my book.

The quality and comfort rate right up there with any of the other "advanced" hammocks, IMHO.

The fact that you can buy everything at one shot as a package deal is the only differentiator that I can tell...and frankly I don't feel that makes it a 'beginner' setup at all, just a more convenient purchase.

I'd agree with Karl's thoughts...and I'd add that they're also easier to purchase OUTSIDE of hammockforums...unlike many of the other 'advanced' models which are cottage vendor based. Given the increased availability, that tends to decrease the resale value somewhat...why buy used when you can buy new for the same price just as easily from Amazon/REI/etc...?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'd agree with Karl's thoughts...
    you do know that phase is not seen too often....if at all
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i like HH hammocks and MAY be looking for a new UL Explorer, but your price is a little high and with the sale coming up i can get a scout for my grandson free.

my old Explorer UL has about 250+ trail nights on it.

PS i am not a beginner

When is the sale?
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

Images
    I think the "beginner" stigma comes from their marketing. Before I found out about hammockforums, Hennessey was the only company I found making camping hammocks. It wasn't until I was reading someone's accounts on hiking the A.T. till I discovered this site, and all of the great cottage vendors.....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyoc20 View Post
    Just wondering as I have one for sale right now. I have noticed that in the past they typically don't sell very well on the forum. Any I ideas why? I know a good bit of you guys are WWBB people. Which is understandable as I love my WWBB. I just would have thought the HH would have gotten a bit more love than it seams like they do. Ive seen previous HH not sell at all which i find odd. It seams like any other hammock goes in seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker4 View Post
    Since I'm a newbie, I don't know (but am willing to make a guess).

Could it be that the HH falls on the side of a beginner hammock, and this forum is full of experienced people? That would explain why there would be some that don't sell. People buy them elsewhere, find this forum, then "move on" to something like the WBBB.

Just my best guess.

FWIW, I started with a GT Skeeter Beeter Pro, but already have my eye on the WBBB (and Superfly, and...).
    It used to be just about king of the hill around here, but clearly now it is just not as popular as some of the others available from our vendors, who also participate here.

Still, believe it or not, there are a number of people here who feel the HH is as comfy ( overall) and even more comfy than the WBBB. There are people here who have swapped from the WBBB to HHs, because they unable to deal with the calf pressure problem, but were able to solve this problem with an HH. Still, I think there are a significantly larger group of people here who prefer the WBBB and also other brands of hammocks to the HH. It goes both ways, but more are still loyal to the WBBB. Or more recently, the bridge version.

Plus, there is this: HHs are often well known to noob hangers before they ever show up here. For example, I had purchased an HH Explorer UL and Super Shelter and used it on a week long hike in WY before I ever even knew about HF. So maybe there are more folks who are thinking about trying another hammock, but they already have an HH so they are not looking for another HH.

One last factor: most of the vendors here are participating members of HF, with their own threads and posts plus quick to answer any questions that pop up about their products. Tom H. has never participated here. Maybe that is also a factor?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast