Images

Warm Window Material????

Has anyone used or investigated Warm Window Material as a insulator, underquilt, or sleeping pad system?

Here is the info on the stuff,

The Warm Window fabric consists of four layers of different fabric quilted together in 4"-wide lengthwise channels designed to reduce the flow of energy through your window glass. The layers are:

* Lining with fabric protector
    * High density Dacron Holofil II
    * Reflective polyethylene moisture vapor barrier
    * Metallicized mylar with air-trapping fibers

The side of the Warm Window shade that faces the room is covered with a decorative fabric of your choice. Choose a cover fabric that is tightly woven, of light to medium weight, and made of cotton or a cotton/polyester blend. Fabrics with fabric protector are an excellent choice for window coverings. Avoid highly textured or pile fabrics and loosely woven or stretch fabrics. You should also avoid fabrics with horizontal stripes as they may interfere visually with the folds in the shade.

The system is complete with a magnetic seal achieved from sewing magnetic strips into the seams of the shade and affixing magnetic tape to the window frame or wall.

How does the system work?
    Warm Window insulated shades are carefully engineered to combat all four major causes of heat loss.

1. Conduction is reduced by trapped air spaces between the fibers and layers of insulated fabric.
    2. Infiltration is reduced by the impervious polyethylene and tight magnetic edge seal.
    3. Convection is reduced by the magnetic edge seal.
    4. Radiation is reduced by the reflective mylar which reflects radiant heat back into your home and also reflects away solar gain in summer.

What is R-Value?
    The effectiveness of any material in preventing energy from flowing through it is defined in terms of R-value. The higher the R-value of a given material, the greater its insulating capacity. This chart illustrates some R-value comparisons.

Insulated shade r-value chart:

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I bought a yard of it and tried it both inside the hammock and between the hammock and the KAQ. It worked very well, as reported here!

Since it is so bulky, I decided to cut the yard into thirds. I'll cover each with coated nylon on the side opposite the fabric cover. Folded, they will be "sit-upon" mats. Unfolded, they will cure CBS either inside the hammock or on top of the UQ.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    About 30 seconds after I posted above, I found your original post. I just saw the stuff and thought it look interesting.

I am not so worried about weight, because I will be packing on my motorcycle. I thought it looked like a good alternative to a ccf pad. I consider those things kind of bulky.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I got two yards of this stuff, 36 inches wide and use it under my thermarest inside the pocket of my claytor. I simply serged the edges, I am going to add nylon to the "exposed" side. I took it down into the 20 degree range and did not have any cold spots. I am a warm sleeper and no doubt the thermarest helped as well. I am considering it alone for the summer to save carrying any pad. I like the stuff, though a bit pricey, I got it at Joanne Fabrics for 50% off.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts