Quote Originally Posted by Redshirt View Post
That's a "burl", they make great bowls or other pieces of furniture. You can google "burls" and see the unique wood grains that "burls" produce.
Huh, around here we call them burrs. Anyway, they aren't that uncommon, resulting typically from either a viral or fungal infection of the tree.