Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Not really a trip report but...

Was out in Killarney Provincial Park on the weekend for a paddle and an overnight hang with some friends, and somehow I managed to forget my sunglasses at our site on Grey Lake.

So... I figured since I was done work yesterday at 3, why not go for a quick paddle out and see if I can't find them?

So I grabbed a few things, mainly my emergency kit and a bottle of water and made the hour or so drive back to the Bell Lake access point. I rented a small solo canoe (Scott Elite 14' Kevlar which I found very small and reminded me I need to work on my j stroke), and made my way back up to the site. It is a 45 minute trip one way, with a bit of headwind and a 15 minute portage to break up the monotony.

When I arrived at the site (vacated) I realized that someone had grabbed my sunglasses from where I'd left them and most likely claimed ownership. What was even more disappointing was the condition of the site! Trash strewn everywhere, beer cans and food cans, steak knives stabbed into the trees by the fire pit... And they tried to burn one of the log benches.

I had brought a trash bag in my supplies so I packed out the garbage with me, and tried to tidy up before leaving.

Took my time leaving too, it took some willpower to dock that boat and head back to my car!

Oh yes, pictures!!

uploadfromtaptalk1377780785793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377780807015.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377780829448.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377780860167.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377780911105.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377780938307.jpg
    Coffee?

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Sorry about your sunglasses but a big load of good karma on you for cleaning up the mess left by those that prove inbreeding still goes on in the world.

What you described I've seen in the wilderness area in my state that I love dearly. I don't understand that kind of behavior. But fortunately there are people that still care enough about the outdoors to do what you did even though you didn't have to.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their nether regions in the months to come!

Good on you pal

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Sorry about your sunglasses but a big load of good karma on you for cleaning up the mess left by those that prove inbreeding still goes on in the world.

What you described I've seen in the wilderness area in my state that I love dearly. I don't understand that kind of behavior. But fortunately there are people that still care enough about the outdoors to do what you did even though you didn't have to.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their nether regions in the months to come!

Good on you pal
    +10...makes me sick everytime I see it.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I am especially dismayed when I find things in the fire like glass and cans as though somehow they should disappear or they have been effectively disposed of because they are in fire. I also wonder what brought them there to begin with when they have so little respect for the woods.

Nice report, and way to go. When I host groups, the last thing we do is scan the area very closely for anything man made. We pack it out.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Unfortunate thing is the more popular camping is, the more idiots it attracts.

BTW. Must be nice to just pop over to Killarney after work.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sure those folks live the same at their home or rented abode. Trashy.....
    Good on you for what you did. Payback will come someday.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post

Good on you pal
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sure those folks live the same at their home or rented abode. Trashy.....
    Good on you for what you did. Payback will come someday.
    Shug
    I like your pictures, I like the countryside, but I didn't like what you found! The above posts sum it up. The older I get the more human nature never ceases to amaze me. I've cleaned up sites same as you as it seems some folks still use the old camping method of "Pack it in, Chunk it down". It boils my blood when I see this type of total disregard for nature. Imagine at the end of a long enjoyable hike or paddle and you arrive at your pre-selected campsite and find something like this. What a let down. The only thing worse would be to have to camp along with these {people}. A little cordite might be called for. I'm sorry you lost your shades, but there was a reason for it. If you hadn't lost them you wouldn't have gone back and that little piece of real estate might still be in the same state of trashiness. My hat is off to you Sir for your commitment to preserving the tranquility of the outdoors that we all love dearly!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Insulhammock
    Insulation
    gigantic beer gut
    Suspension
    Never got caught
    You're a good person to clean up after their nonsense. Give the local game warden a heads up on what they did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Its disheartening to see the mess some folks leave. Good on you for cleaning it up. I've had to do it as well.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: Not really a trip report but...

Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    Unfortunate thing is the more popular camping is, the more idiots it attracts.

BTW. Must be nice to just pop over to Killarney after work.
    You have no idea! I need to make more trips out there. Once I've got a boat of my own and can stop renting, I imagine I'll be out there paddling all summer long (if the wife gives me the green light of course!)
    Coffee?

• + New Posts