Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks everyone, I went with regular old baby powder and it has worked great.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    I've never heard about sealing the seams and ill get right on that but does any one spray waterproofing spray on they're tarp. I have a super fly and used it many times but was thinking about doing it anyways. Any thoughts

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Faussett View Post
    I've never heard about sealing the seams and ill get right on that but does any one spray waterproofing spray on they're tarp. I have a super fly and used it many times but was thinking about doing it anyways. Any thoughts
    The tarp fabric is silicone impregnated nylon (silnylon). This creates a waterproof fabric, that does not need to be treated. The seam sealing is necessary, because in the sewing process, the needles are piercing through the impregnated fabric and creating a point for water to pass through.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 09-09-2013 at 18:00.
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -William Byrd

Why seal it unless you know it leaks? I have cloudburst and edge tarps and have done nothing to them and noticed no seepage on the tie outs or seams.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    It's pretty simple. No matter what, the seam is the weakest part of the tarp. The silnylon fabric may have a high hydrostatic head rating, but the seam will not have that same rating. The seam has gone through a sewing machine and had a needle pierce the fabric, reducing the hydrostatic head.

An untreated seam will leak. If the untreated seams of a tarp are not leaking, it is simply that the pressure has not been reached at which water will pass through.

I seam seal because I do not want to find out the point at which the seam will leak while relying on the tarp as a shelter.

Just an edit to add -- its my understanding that with Warbonnet manufactured tarps, they are made so that its not necessary to seam seal the ridgeline.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 09-10-2013 at 08:17.
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -William Byrd

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Just did mine today with the Permatex. Read some where to use a Q-tip to rub in the silicone. found this to be to messy. I cut the end off and rubbed it to burnish it smooth. The smaller hard shaft helped move the silicone around a left a smaller amount around the seam.

Since it has to hang over night looks like a good excuse to Backyard camp, too bad its on the ground per lack of trees or a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You're going to get many recommendations for Permatex Flowable silcone available in auto parts stores. Its for car winshields but works well on tarps because it gets into seams well. You do not need to seal the ridgeline of the tarp, only the side pullouts on the Superfly.
    THis is what I used to seal my tarp. My dad had a bunch of it and it's help up well...

Insulation
    pads right now
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You're going to get many recommendations for Permatex Flowable silcone available in auto parts stores. Its for car winshields but works well on tarps because it gets into seams well. You do not need to seal the ridgeline of the tarp, only the side pullouts on the Superfly.
    With the Permatex do all you need is one coat or do you have to apply two coats?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fergusrb View Post
    With the Permatex do all you need is one coat or do you have to apply two coats?
    I've only needed one coat for my tarps.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123