Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Just a question, camping at campsite or in random?

Hey guys viper here!
    Wanting to get to know more about the people on here.

Do you guys hang in more like pre made camp sites or do you guys find a spot along the train randomly that hasn't really been deemed a camp site buy people?

The group I'm with we almost always go random spot that seems good somewhere along the trail we are on
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    depends if I want a fire or not. I like to use exsisting rings more than making new ones.
    If I don't want a fire I just find a cool spot (with a view if I can) If I happen across a spot with a fire ring and suitable trees I will use it.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    KAQ-UQ/UGQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas straps
    Images
    I usually backpack along the AT trail so, usually I would just find a spot a few hundred feet off the trail and hammock out, u can build a small fire as long as u make the proper fire ring and contain it.

there are times just for convenience tho that i'd camp at a site or if i'm with a bunch of people who are tenting as well and have to have the proper "ground" to stick their tents down onto.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Water is a defining factor with me, followed by whether or not I'm with a group.

Due to my camp and hiking habits, I need to be fairly near a water source (not more'n an hour's hike from my site, preferably when I wake and hike to it), which severely limits my possible campsites down here in FL. In the mountains, it's less of an issue.

If I'm camping with more than just a partner, it's always nice to camp somewhere with a common area. Most spots here in FL, that means at least a semi-prepared backwoods site. The underbrush is just a bit much otherwise.

Those're my defining reasons for finding camp where I do.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Like everyone else said - it depends.
    Gumbo and I like to camp with friends and to introduce people to camping who haven't been before, or haven't been in a long time and therefore have an outdated view. So we try to go to campgrounds that are primitive enough to still be called camping but have comfortable facilities for the noobs.
    But when it's just us, we like to pull up at random spots along the river bank and tie any two trees together.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If you're hiking, and just want to stop and sleep, then anywhere is good. Most want to stop close to water, and typically there are campsites nearby - and that means a cleared area with no brush between trees, perhaps a fire ring and more importantly, a sitting log.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I AVOID campgrounds, state parks, established sites, and pretty much any place I think a human may have been before haha! Seriously, I love getting into a remote place or at least a quiet place away from the trails. It's a lot of fun to bushwack and end up "nowhere" and just set up camp.

Images
    I've been to an actual campsite twice in my life, and once was for the HF NJ annual hang. I avoid them like the plague!

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    How come its so important that you guys are buy water? For filtration? Or view?
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Just a question, camping at campsite or in random?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    How come its so important that you guys are buy water? For filtration? Or view?
    I carry a 2L bladder and two 1L bottles... I drink a lot of water after a hike & like to drink a lot before I head out again. That, combined with cooking water, easily would use all my water.... And leave me with nothing to hike to the next source with.

Picking a spot near water makes drinking like a camel much easier. Plus, hopefully there's some scenery!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast