Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Kelty Noah's Tarp ??

So I am going to Cabelas today and they have a Noah's 12 X12 tarp for $52.46. Does anyone have one of these or know about them and if they are worth the mula? I really want to make my own but I am a newb behind the thread injector and don't quite trust my self to not ruin the material I buy and waste my money. Which also brings me to my next question. Can someone point me in the right direction for choosing a tarp material? I want to compare my different options and I am having a hard time finding out the pros and cons of them all. Thanks guys!!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Regarding the Kelty Noah 12...I highly recommend it! It was my first tarp, and I think it's a great one...wish I still had it for a backup...

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    For the price the Noah's tarp is hard to beat. It's a little on the heavy side but is a very versatile tarp. It can be pitched in a variety of ways and offers good coverage in bad weather.

Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by barkejos View Post
    ...Can someone point me in the right direction for choosing a tarp material?...
    30D / 1.1 oz Silnylon is one of the most commonly used DIY tarp materials. Lots of use us 2nds to lower the cost. 2nds in these fabrics is normally due to a cosmetic blemish that no one ever finds. DIY Gear Supply is favored source.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    The Kelty is a good tarp, good for car camping. You can park 2 hammocks under it if they use a 3 tree setup, I take it with me when the kids/friends going. Makes a very large porch for cooking.

I would recommend getting about 1 yard of silnylon from Quest or Backwoods daydreamer, and practice, you will absolutely enjoy using your own built equipment.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...9&d=1315763188
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I have the 9' and 12' versions. The 9' suffered from fabric/waterproofing delamination after a couple of uses and I got ZERO support from Kelty (At their recommendation, I mailed it in at my expense. They mailed it right back to me and didn't repair/replace it).

My 12' tarp has only been used a few times. I like it, but I really think it's worth it to spend the extra money on a lightweight Silnylon tarp.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    The Noahs 9 was my first tarp. I wish I would have gotten the 12 after seeing one in person. At $52, you can't go wrong. It is a great tarp for the price.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Cant go wrong with it. You will find it very useful. Cant beat the price either! I paid 69 for mine and would do it again. (12x12)

Awesome. Thanks every one for the advise. I think that I am going to get the 12. They didn't carry it at the store today. It will beat my $10 walmart tarp I have now thats for sure. I like the idea of getting a yard of the silnylon too. I have been using some old tee shirts to get some practice in but I need a lot more.

Thanks again everyone, once again you guys have steered me in the right direction.

Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    Quote Originally Posted by barkejos View Post
    Awesome. Thanks every one for the advise. I think that I am going to get the 12. They didn't carry it at the store today. It will beat my $10 walmart tarp I have now thats for sure. I like the idea of getting a yard of the silnylon too. I have been using some old tee shirts to get some practice in but I need a lot more.

Thanks again everyone, once again you guys have steered me in the right direction.
    I've got one we have used for about 20 years now and it is still functional. I used it for a H-tarp until I got a light one and it worked just fine. I still drag it around with me just in case. As previously stated, there are a lot of pitches for it. Not the latest and greatest, but it will keep you dry. Hard to beat it for $52 unless you are going UL.
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast