Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    "Beginner" Anything, IMO refers to any mass marketed, simplistic designed product where there are also more expensive, more focused as well as different feature sets. In just about every hobby, theres usually a product or 2 that beginners are recommended or buy before knowing there are fancier versions out there, usually aided by massive advertising/store placement.

So, with that idea: ENO's are at most outdoors shops, as well as other brands in state parks (locally at least). They have a simple, no frills design that is appealing to both everyday non campers and people like us. TBH, they simply work for everyone.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it being considered a "beginner" hammock, it is just what it is.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    One thing I've learned since joining here, don't put much stock in the phrase "beginner hammock". It doesn't really mean anything other than "I think that hammock is inferior to mine".
    Sounds quite logical to me!
    Some people call Hennessy a "beginner hammock". This is the first time ive heard ENO called a a beginner hammock, but it does seem like they are everywhere. Every outdoor store I've been in has ENO hammocks, whereas hennessy is harder to find.
    For the record, I have both. I got the ENO because it was lighter and more compact, compared to the hennessy, and without a bug net, it is my winter hammock. Plus, since I have all the hennessy straps and tarps, I can use them with my ENO.
    There are certainly many options, but go with what you want. Most of the gear snobs you will leave behind, anyway. While they are spending $400 looking for the latest and greatest and trying to save an ounce, you can be using a system you know works, and enjoying your hike, or hang, or whatever...
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    I think the term "beginner" is wrong in this forum, but should be replaced with starter or intro
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I may have referred to an ENO as a beginner hammock in another recent thread simply because it was the hammock I started with. It wasn't a comment about the quality or comfort, both of which are excellent IMO.

In my mind there are 2 categories for hammock manufacturers: Companies that make hammocks on an industrial scale like ENO & companies that make hammocks in small runs or one hammock at a time like the cottage vendors found here on HF.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    I think the term "beginner" is wrong in this forum, but should be replaced with starter or intro
    And at that point we are just playing with words, especially as the words each mean the same and are meant to convey the same idea.
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -William Byrd

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

ENO Hammocks

All the squabbling reminds me of when i took up fly fishing a few of years ago..Guys at the Fly shop put on a free 1 hr class. Their contention was you need top notch gear to fish with and lots of $$$.."This is the Golf of fishing" the guy said..after a visit to bass pro and a long discussion with the "Expert" there i got a cheapo White River DC setup..Less tah $100 for rod & reel & line!. While fishing at a subdivision pond down in S. Florida a guy came up and made a comment about my casting...I said "perhaps i should have gotten a better setup..this one is junk". He took the rod from me and promptly put out 50+ feet of line without issue...I felt a bit foolish of course..he was a 25+ yrs Guide from Montana. He said "Its your Technique..has Nothing to do with your setup"....I still use this setup today and have caught many fish on it. I was surprised to learn that a good many of the "Pro Grade rods" are made in Korea.Because of mass marketing some names appear more than others... My point here is this:
    Use whatever Gear you want to...After all Hammocking like Fishing is about Having FUN! Guys with ENOs have just as much fun as guys with Warbonnets, Speers, Etc..As Your technique improves you will come to understand better that no amount of expensive gear can replace Experience.

Now go out and have some fun in whatever hammock you use.
    Last edited by fortran42; 09-02-2013 at 07:23. Reason: added text

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Calling it a beginner hammock has nothing to do with quality, comfort or inferiority. It is because it is the most common hammock used by people beginning their hammock adventures. When you look at the majority of the people that come here saying they are a beginner or a newb and already have a hammock they are more often than not in an ENO. The reasons for this have already been stated.

So IMO ENOs are not mainly FOR beginners but mainly USED BY beginners. Hence the term beginner hammock.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    It all depends on your goals, purposes, and perspective.

For instance, a backpacker might say that car campers are "beginner campers". If you're a backpacker who uses a tent, hammock campers might call you a "beginner backpacker."

My personal perspective is that of a quest to outfit a slightly out of shape 60 something year old man to do some long distance hiking. I'm two years into that quest, and if you laid the endeavor out on a time line you'd find an ENO Double nest near the "beginning" of the line. At the current end of that line you'll find a 12 foot long by 5 foot wide DIY hammock. Therefore, from my perspective, an ENO is a beginner hammock.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I don't view them as beginner's hammocks, and in point of fact, am unsure what a beginner's hammock is. I've been at this long enough that, at last, I no longer think of myself as a beginner, and I sleep in an ENO every night.

Their wide availability does make them a gateway drug, however.
    +1 on gateway

For me an ENO was an upgrade from a beginner's test hammock as found on Risk's site. At least that was my initial "taste" and the launching point to more purchases and DIY builds than I care to either quantify or admit.

FWIW, the test hammock I made years ago is still one of my most comfortable hangs.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps

ENO's...beginner hammocks????

An ENO double nest was my first hammock and I still love it. While I don't use my ENO to camp anymore, it is still my go to lounging hammock. If an ENO is a beginner hammock, what does that make the one made out of a tablecloth

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast