Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    didn't we just have this discussion about hennessy last week? stuff that is mass produced/mass marketed will almost always draw these comparisons.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    My local REI carries eno and hennessy, both. I got the eno double as my first hammock because of its affordability, comfort, and because it was big enough for 2 people and i was anticipating using it for 2 people. The only single hammock I own is one I have made, and I plan to make any more hammocks I use, unless I need to replace my double. I don't view eno as "beginner", just more affordable than 90% of what's out there (and probably just as comfortable). Now I am on a quest to make an UL hammock, but I have no way of hemming the edges of the ripstop myself
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by fortran42 View Post
    I said "perhaps i should have gotten a better setup..this one is junk". He took the rod from me and promptly put out 50+ feet of line without issue...I felt a bit foolish of course..he was a 25+ yrs Guide from Montana. He said "Its your Technique..has Nothing to do with your setup"....
    Now go out and have some fun in whatever hammock you use.
    I used to be on some photography forums. The same thing was said about cameras. There were constant complaints from photographers about people who would look at their photos and say "wow, great picture! you must have a great camera", not thinking that maybe technique had something to do with it. There were the usual snarky replies, such as, "well you're a great chef, you must own an awesome stove!" or, "you write so well, you must have a nice computer and the latest copy of Word".

Then the same people would tell aspiring photographers, "You can't shoot a wedding with a canon rebel! That's junk... you need to have pro gear!"

Needless to say I don't fraternize with those folks any more.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    My local REI carries eno and hennessy, both. I got the eno double as my first hammock because of its affordability
    I don't think that affordability is one of the reasons for people to buy ENO. BIAS, Warbonnet and Dream Hammocks all have similar hammocks that cost less than an ENO. I think most beginners just don't know about the other manufacturers and the market is so saturated with ENO they seem like the affordable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I used to be on some photography forums. The same thing was said about cameras. There were constant complaints from photographers about people who would look at their photos and say "wow, great picture! you must have a great camera", not thinking that maybe technique had something to do with it. There were the usual snarky replies, such as, "well you're a great chef, you must own an awesome stove!" or, "you write so well, you must have a nice computer and the latest copy of Word".

Then the same people would tell aspiring photographers, "You can't shoot a wedding with a canon rebel! That's junk... you need to have pro gear!"

Needless to say I don't fraternize with those folks any more.
    I used to frequent a photography forum and always found that double standard confusing and funny. And I've shot a couple weddings with my Rebel and they came out pretty dang good. Still want that pro gear though so I can't start taking the really good photos.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I don't think that affordability is one of the reasons for people to buy ENO. BIAS, Warbonnet and Dream Hammocks all have similar hammocks that cost less than an ENO. I think most beginners just don't know about the other manufacturers and the market is so saturated with ENO they seem like the affordable option.
    I dunno, I have seen the DN for around ~$40 a couple times when it has been on sale.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I still have my 1st ENO DN, I guess you could call them beginner Hammocks. I added Whoopies and tree straps partly because they were cool but mostly because ENO straps stretch, I'm a creature of habit and when I find something that works I tend to stay with it.

I am also 40 years old and have been Married for 20 years, So maybe I am just loyal lol
    "Think Outside the Tent"

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I dunno, I have seen the DN for around ~$40 a couple times when it has been on sale.
    I was referring to normal price comparison, sales not withstanding. Even still, after you buy the suspension getting the hammock on sale puts it in the same price range as the ones I mentioned. So it still doesn't work out to be more affordable, just comparable.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    nope, i do not consider the eno a beginner's hammock. is what i use to this day...and as one long time hanger, it works.....
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    For some "beginner hammock" has a negative connotation. For other's, it just means a lot of beginner's use one.

I know this, they sell a lot of hammocks and introduce a lot of people to the "sport".

I've got a doublenest that is outfitted with a ridgeline and whoopies. It's a very comfortable hammock and sometimes it "talks it's way" into my backpack or drybag.

HYOH,

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    I thought it was funny that someone referred to the thread as squabbling.

The one thing I noticed about this forum and hammock reviews was how little there was in the way of negetive reviews of hammocks and accessories. In many of my other hobbies so many folks have rather strong opinions about things and its pretty easy to find wide ranging opinions.

But when it comes to hammocks I didnt get that sort of vibe. I have wondered whether if its a case of "if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all."
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -William Byrd

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast