Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member enoorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    Posts
    156

    ENO's...beginner hammocks????

    I really enjoy my ENO hammocks (especially my doublenest this year) and in numerous summer, fall and spring backpacking trips (40+) have found them to be high-quality and reasonable weight (16-20 oz).

    I do replace the ENO suspension w/whoopie's BUT I have heard various people mention they are beginner hammocks??? Why? because they are easily available in various retail stores, the basic suspension, no advanced features, etc?

    Anyway just kinda wondering what makes a "non-beginner" hammock?
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way

  2. #2
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    6,229
    I don't view them as beginner's hammocks, and in point of fact, am unsure what a beginner's hammock is. I've been at this long enough that, at last, I no longer think of myself as a beginner, and I sleep in an ENO every night.

    Their wide availability does make them a gateway drug, however.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  3. #3
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    15,531
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I don't view them as beginner's hammocks, and in point of fact, am unsure what a beginner's hammock is. I've been at this long enough that, at last, I no longer think of myself as a beginner, and I sleep in an ENO every night.

    Their wide availability does make them a gateway drug, however.
    Good words.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

    Shug's YouTube Videos

  4. #4
    UncleMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Hammock
    HHExplUL; WBBB; SmokeHouse; ROO...
    Tarp
    HM Suite or HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I don't view them as beginner's hammocks, and in point of fact, am unsure what a beginner's hammock is. I've been at this long enough that, at last, I no longer think of myself as a beginner, and I sleep in an ENO every night.

    Their wide availability does make them a gateway drug, however.
    +1 on gateway

    For me an ENO was an upgrade from a beginner's test hammock as found on Risk's site. At least that was my initial "taste" and the launching point to more purchases and DIY builds than I care to either quantify or admit.

    FWIW, the test hammock I made years ago is still one of my most comfortable hangs.

  5. #5
    matthew2000tx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Helotes, Texas
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    +1 on gateway

    For me an ENO was an upgrade from a beginner's test hammock as found on Risk's site. At least that was my initial "taste" and the launching point to more purchases and DIY builds than I care to either quantify or admit.

    FWIW, the test hammock I made years ago is still one of my most comfortable hangs.

    Hey UncleMJM Risk is a good friend of mine. I wonder is he knows his site was your launching point into hammocking... I'll let him know. He liked my photos of the TX hang on FB.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

    "Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

  6. #6
    UncleMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Hammock
    HHExplUL; WBBB; SmokeHouse; ROO...
    Tarp
    HM Suite or HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew2000tx View Post
    Hey UncleMJM Risk is a good friend of mine. I wonder is he knows his site was your launching point into hammocking... I'll let him know. He liked my photos of the TX hang on FB.
    It is indeed a small world we are in. Risk's site was one of a few, including Sgt. Rock's and Just Jeff's in addition to Whiteblaze, that I frequented to learn more about hammocks. This was back in the pre Hammock Forums days around the turn of the century.

  7. #7
    Tacoma96's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Posts
    1,373
    I have other hammocks but the ENO that I still own was my first.
    We are the crazy people.

    Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

    I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my a_ _ lighter.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Craigthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River &amp; Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Posts
    821
    maybe because they are easily available and at a lot of stores as well. Most see these before they find out about all the others.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Hammock
    TC SL or DL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Marmot Sawtooth
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; straps
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by enoorange View Post
    I really enjoy my ENO hammocks (especially my doublenest this year) and in numerous summer, fall and spring backpacking trips (40+) have found them to be high-quality and reasonable weight (16-20 oz).

    I do replace the ENO suspension w/whoopie's BUT I have heard various people mention they are beginner hammocks??? Why? because they are easily available in various retail stores, the basic suspension, no advanced features, etc?

    Anyway just kinda wondering what makes a "non-beginner" hammock?
    One thing I've learned since joining here, don't put much stock in the phrase "beginner hammock". It doesn't really mean anything other than "I think that hammock is inferior to mine". Of all of the hammocks I have made or seen, any one of them could be quickly and easily modified to be taken camping or hiking on the long-term.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    One thing I've learned since joining here, don't put much stock in the phrase "beginner hammock". It doesn't really mean anything other than "I think that hammock is inferior to mine".
    Sounds quite logical to me!
    Some people call Hennessy a "beginner hammock". This is the first time ive heard ENO called a a beginner hammock, but it does seem like they are everywhere. Every outdoor store I've been in has ENO hammocks, whereas hennessy is harder to find.
    For the record, I have both. I got the ENO because it was lighter and more compact, compared to the hennessy, and without a bug net, it is my winter hammock. Plus, since I have all the hennessy straps and tarps, I can use them with my ENO.
    There are certainly many options, but go with what you want. Most of the gear snobs you will leave behind, anyway. While they are spending $400 looking for the latest and greatest and trying to save an ounce, you can be using a system you know works, and enjoying your hike, or hang, or whatever...
    For more info, read:

    My personal blog

Similar Threads

  1. Beginner need help :D
    By Jimbo9000 in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2014, 22:26
  2. Which beginner tarp?
    By nighthawk80 in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 11:44
  3. Another beginner.....
    By Weaver in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 19:06
  4. Tips for a beginner?
    By Kshatriya in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 14:03

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •