Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    ENO Doublenest...my first and still my go to hammock.

For now anyway.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew2000tx View Post
    Hey UncleMJM Risk is a good friend of mine. I wonder is he knows his site was your launching point into hammocking... I'll let him know. He liked my photos of the TX hang on FB.
    It is indeed a small world we are in. Risk's site was one of a few, including Sgt. Rock's and Just Jeff's in addition to Whiteblaze, that I frequented to learn more about hammocks. This was back in the pre Hammock Forums days around the turn of the century.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies'
    I'm just a new guy, but I have come to realize that my ENO hammock is effectively the "gateway drug" of hammocks...
    Phillip W. Martin
    instagram: @phillipwmartin
    mobile: 931.349.2492
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag Cocoon
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    I love my double nest eno. I don't see any hammock as a beginner hammock...its just what ever works best for you when hanging. i got to try a hammock made out of a table cloth and it was really comfortable.
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    --J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by enoorange View Post
    I really enjoy my ENO hammocks (especially my doublenest this year) and in numerous summer, fall and spring backpacking trips (40+) have found them to be high-quality and reasonable weight (16-20 oz).

I do replace the ENO suspension w/whoopie's BUT I have heard various people mention they are beginner hammocks??? Why? because they are easily available in various retail stores, the basic suspension, no advanced features, etc?

Anyway just kinda wondering what makes a "non-beginner" hammock?
    Late to the thread but... my 2c.

I think "beginner" in this context refers to the "barrier to entry" price. You can get a double nest for about 50-60 bucks. This makes it an easy "starter" hammock from the perspective of having less risk but giving a great experience for the price. Plus it is usable by most anybody (up to 400lbs with appropriate strapping).

There are other hammocks with better and more features (arguably) but you will spend more for those hammocks at a base level price, generally.

At least that's my perspective on this as a newbie to the scene if you will

Hammock
    Clarke NX-250
    Tarp
    Clarke Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Tree Strap/rings
    I love my double nest ENO Hammock. I sure dont see it as a beginner Hammock.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I think for hikers, Eno, GT, Byers, and few others, I don't care enough about to remember at this point, just don't work out as well as "others". Yes you do see a few being used by hardcore LW hikers, but a quick look around at a local hang, will usually tell the tale.

Workmanship, materials, weight, durability, function, are good to average to poor, depending on, the import factory, day of the week, what they were running beforehand, and sometimes what is to come across, after the run. Customer service, exactly the same. They're cheap. Just send the customer another. We don't have the ability, motivation, or skills, to make mods or repairs. After all we are salesmen and didn't make anything.

One thing I've noticed, outside of HH, none of the rest of the big box providers, really makes or offers, a product that meets the high end user's needs. Yes, some provide an"Expensive" model, but they sure are not on the same level as any of our HF Vendors.

What I'm trying to say, is you might very well buy and want to stand behind to dollar/product argument, of your Eno or GTUL, but do you think you'd be as happy with the most expensive model any of those providers put out?

Do you see the clear cut step up in kit, that you might experience between a WB Traveler and say the BB or RR? Would you buy it, were money not an issue?
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    EE TQ, Pad
    Suspension
    Straps & What-Not
    Used the Doublenest for just about a year, and recently stepped up to a Blackbird. There's really no comparing the two, except I think the ENO was a great way to tinker with suspension and learn the proper way to hang without harming my finances. I'll hang on to my Doublenest forever - I take it with me on road trips and love to hang out under the stars in it. The built-in features of the Blackbird really make the ENO seem basic at this point, though, and the ENO bug net is pretty poor-quality. I like the fact that ENO's are sold at REI and therefore get people into hangin'...
    I'd rather be in a hammock. - Dolly Parton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My 2 cents here: Yes, ENO is the gateway drug...hammocks are what truly launched me into becoming a backpacking enthusiast. when I can sleep a solid 7+ hours and have to set an alarm if I want to see the sunrise while I'm on the trail, then that's a good thing vs waking every two hours to shift my position when I'm on the ground sleeping. I'm content with my double nest, the purchase of which turned out to be the path of least resistance. with knowledge gained, I know there's products out there I would have selected instead...but ENO works until I have every other aspect of backpacking upgraded to where I want to be.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    ENO being available at REI makes it a gateway drug hammock...easy to walk in, see it at 30% off (once a year), and say - gee, maybe I'll try one.

Doni

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast