Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    They do get you with the price, though. "Oh gee, a hammock for $50!" Then you have to buy straps, then a tarp, then a mosquito net… Good marketing on their part, however.

My hennessy stuff works with the ENO, so when I wanted a bug net-less winter hammock, instead of buying a whole system, I spent fifty dollars on a single nest.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HG Blue Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Kammok Straps
    I knew about hammocks including all of the cottage maker brands before buying my ENO. I wanted something simple and honestly, colorful. I can't stand all the brown/black/camo (sorry, guys!) as I love bright colors. I really love my bright turquoise/purple ENO AND I can find it at night.

The closest hobby I do that has "beginner" vs. "advanced" gear is fencing - and there is definitely a difference in price, function, fit (where applicable), and quality between those extremes. Keeping that in mind, I find the quality of the ENO to be good overall. Just because it's mass-marked and widely-available does not an inferior product make.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    I'm a big fan of my doublenest. Other options are more comfortable for me overnight but it's awesome for naps and relaxing. I only know about hammock camping because I saw eno's at dicks. They got my attention because I was taking a canoe trip and thought it'd be a great way to relax around camp and skip bringing the camp chair. The material felt great and I couldn't believe it would hold me. I guess for me it was a "beginner" hammock in a sense that it began my hammocking interest. Certainly not a low quality product.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I've been sleeping in my Eno Doublenest for four years now and love it. I know the HH, BB and others offer things the Eno doesn't and maybe the quality is better, but I'm not unhappy with my Eno. And since the first night I slept in my Eno, I haven't had a bad night's sleep. So, until I become unhappy with my Eno or it wears out, I'll probably not be looking for another. So, for me, the Eno is not a "beginner" hammock.
    "A man's got to know his limitations," Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    WB / AHE / WL
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    availability and price, that's why I guess they would be considered "beginner" hammocks. If someones new to hammocking, I guess they would be more inclined to spend $60 on an ENO instead of $150+ for a warbonnet or something.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    CCF, Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Just curious, is there room in a singlenest to lie at an angle with a a CCF pad, or do you need the doublenest to have enough room?

I'm not planning on getting an under quilt for a while yet. I'll just be using my mummy bag for the first year or so, and know I'll need some sort of bottom insulation.

Thanks.
    Last edited by gdkaufmann; 05-07-2014 at 05:25.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I do not consider any hammocks as beginners but merely first. I am considered by most to be frugal. The eno seemed expensive to me. I spent some time on the forum before my first purchase and wanted a full setup. I calculated the eno DN, a bug net & a rain fly. I bought a HH Explorer Delux Zip on sale ready to go hanging for less money. The Skeeter Beeter Pro is cheaper than eno. They are larger & already have the bug net. I have 2 & gave $42 & 45 for them. I think the eno is just the first hammock most people run into.

I do agree any first hammock can be addictive if it sees much use. I have purchased 9 hammocks to date (wife, grandsons, etc) and the HH Explorer was the most expensive so far.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkaufmann View Post
    Just curious, is there room in a singlenest to lie at an angle with a a CCF pad, or do you need the doublenest to have enough room?

I'm not planning on getting an under quilt for a while yet. I'll just be using my mummy bag for the first year or so, and know I'll need some sort of bottom insulation.

Thanks.
    I can not speak to the single; I have the double and sleeping in it is very comfortable.

If you are interested in the hearsay that I have accumulated, it is that the single is comfortable, but not big enough for sleeping.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    May I suggest "basic" instead of beginner. I.e. No frills.

Saying that. I've taken exception to such patronising terms before and been lambasted for it. Beginner implies hammocking is a sport of some kind like fishing. If your bed is comfy, it is comfy, it's akin to having a 'beginner' sleep mat! Basic yes. I know lot of experts that use basic gear. Less to go wrong

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I got a steal on an ENO for twenty bucks, thinking this would be the lighter hammock with no net for when the mosquitoes die off. I should have known better. Can't go from a roomy Blackbird to a shorter, narrower hammock when you're claustrophobic and like the diagonal sprawl. I got a WB Traveler and the ENO goes in the car camping box.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast