WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As old gringo said it is a gateway hammock. It's widely available and much lighter than what people are used to seeing offered. My first hammock was an ENO and it was the first piece of gear I ever modded. It is still my go to lounging and day hike hammock. If it's comfortable and suits your needs, then that's all that matters IMO.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Gateway Hammock

Yeah, ENO doublenest was the first hammock I came across. It was cheap, so I bought it and that was about a month ago. I have since made my own bug net, dropped the biners and added descender rings. I bought the Profly because I could find it...didn't know there was so many tarps out there at the time I was looking....still pretty much a noob, but have already made my first hammock that is 9 ft long and 60 inches wide. (I'm only 5 ft tall) It all started with the ENO. I can't thank them enough for making their hammocks so easily available.

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    After 3 + years in my ENO Hammock I'm still very happy with it
    I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel so making a hammock or spending way to much
    On a custom job isn't for me
    I have never been one to follow a guru
    I found what works and that's that
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If it works fine for you....stop right there.

By all means do not try anything else. It might suit you better and you'll love your present rig a little less.

Gateway hammocks for most, but people are different. Some larger, some smaller, wider, heavier. If Eno doesn't make a comfortable hammock for you, someone else can and will. Eno and all mass produced offerings will just keep sending you the same model.

There is a difference, and the tech has improved more than you'll ever need to know. Especially if you are happy with what you have.

I wouldn't call it reinventing the wheel. More like deciding rubber runs better than bare wood and staves.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    If it works fine for you....stop right there.

By all means do not try anything else. It might suit you better and you'll love your present rig a little less.

Gateway hammocks for most, but people are different. Some larger, some smaller, wider, heavier. If Eno doesn't make a comfortable hammock for you, someone else can and will. Eno and all mass produced offerings will just keep sending you the same model.

There is a difference, and the tech has improved more than you'll ever need to know. Especially if you are happy with what you have.

I wouldn't call it reinventing the wheel. More like deciding rubber runs better than bare wood and staves.
    I think this is a good representation of my feelings on the matter. I have used the ENO many times on many outings. However, I just recently finished and tried a 10.5 foot DIY, and I was blown away by how much more comfortable it was. I expected it would be better, but not so dramatically.

I think they are a beginner hammock because you love the idea, but think "how can this be better?" As started by most, however, if you are happy with it, there is certainly nothing wrong with using it!
    Last edited by hilo4321; 10-29-2013 at 09:33. Reason: proofing

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / OV Aerie
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Hammocks are kinda like knives. Honestly we could all probably get by with just one but if the funds are there and you have the hankering for a different one, go get it. Maybe you like to use a different setup during different seasons. Maybe you like to introduce people to hammocking and let them use your spares on trips. Or maybe you just get bored with sleeping in the same one on every outing and would like try something different. Regardless of the reason, the result is always the same: hanging.

As for me, I'm using an ENO now because it's my most recent purchase. Will I still be using it on every trip two years from now? Who knows? Is it a "beginner" hammock? I wouldn't say so because it wasn't my first hammock.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Exclamation

Gate way hammock a few years back- $20.00 Yukon outfitters from Woot !
    7 hammocks later and i still climb into it once in awhile, hang in whatever feels good to you no matter what brand or how cheap it was as long as your comfy and OFF THE GROUND !

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    +1 on gateway

For me an ENO was an upgrade from a beginner's test hammock as found on Risk's site. At least that was my initial "taste" and the launching point to more purchases and DIY builds than I care to either quantify or admit.

FWIW, the test hammock I made years ago is still one of my most comfortable hangs.

Hey UncleMJM Risk is a good friend of mine. I wonder is he knows his site was your launching point into hammocking... I'll let him know. He liked my photos of the TX hang on FB.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Huggers &amp; Whoopies
    I'm this way with most things, including my hammock. When I got into hammocks years ago, it was because a buddy of mine had an ENO and that's what I knew. I had touched it, laid in it and thought it was great, so I didn't waiver from that. I went out and bought one and I've had a few since then. Never had a complaint, so I never thought about buying anything else. The only thing that would make me buy another brand right now, would be to get a double layer or coated hammock for wind resistance.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I Love My ENO Doublenest and have been using it about 3 years

admittedly I have not owned a different one , but if it ain't broke don't fix it

I have always been comfortable in it

I added the Knotty Mod ,A Fronkey Bug Net, I made a Puffer Jacket TQ and Underquilt and I have slept like a Baby in it every time out

I used it on the AT
    and Illinois Trails
    Temp Range 90's down to 36 Degrees so far and have No Complaints

Beginner Hammock or Not I don't feel a need to change except for making a
    Tablecloth Hammock for Summer Lounging

just my 2 Pennies worth
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast