Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just bought my first ENO, but unsure of it

Hi all,

I just bought my first ever hammock because it was a steal on Sierra Trading Post and my friend was urging me to do it after a recent camping trip. I got it for $40 (straps included), which seemed like a steal compared to other retailers.

However, after doing a little bit of research on other hammocks, it seems like it's rather small. Its dimensions are 7'6 x 4'10. I'm 6'1 and can fit into it, but I can't lie in it diagonally, which everyone seems to recommend for a good night's sleep.

If I'm planning on taking it backpacking and using it as my primary sleeping arrangement, should I return it and get a bigger one? It's definitely comfortable to lie in for a little bit of time, but if I try sleeping in it, would it leave me sore? I don't want to take it on a trip or anything because then I won't be able to return it.

Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a proponent of the idea that longer hammocks are more comfortable. I don't sleep in anything less than 10.5 ft. hammocks. I primarily use tablecloth hammocks (14.5 oz) and the BIAS Hiker Lite (9.5 oz.), which is on sale for $29.95 right now.

Plenty of happy ENO users out there, but I personally wouldn't recommend their hammocks to anyone.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    You ended up buying what I believe is the ENO rest nest. I purchased one from STP about a year ago. Definitely not a sleeping hammock. I leave mine in my rock climbing bag and throw it up when we are at a certain place for a while and there are an odd number of climbers. We use it more as a chair then a hammock or my wife will lay in it and read a book while we climb, she is afraid to lose a nail so she doesn't climb. It also works good for my niece and nephew. If you are looking for a cheap hammock I would look into the 1.6 argon from dutch and sew one or if you don't sew pick up the crinkle tafta table cloth from the tableclothsfactory.com and do a gathered end hammock.

http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-1.6.html
    http://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/m...ock-3-minutes/

good luck and welcome to the madness. Now that you are here look around there is a lot of great info.
    Last edited by JToon; 06-04-2014 at 11:48. Reason: added links

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ + Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinches
    Images
    The hammock that started my madness was an ENO and I found it too short for sleeping. I now sleep in an 11 foot hammock and find it ideal. Like JToon, my ENO lives in my climbing bag and gets strung up at the crag when we are in an area long enough to warrant a hang. I would recommend finding a longer hammock or as suggested, make one.
    Last edited by Divigation; 06-04-2014 at 16:28. Reason: typos

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    You got a fantastic deal that is for sure. I have plenty of friends who are well in the 6 foot range and they sleep in them just fine. I would say if you plan on camping though that maybe getting something bigger or make one would be the best move. For the rest of us that are shorter it works great. You also need to figure if you like a diagonal hang. I know most people do, as do I, but some like a more banana approach like my wife which is why she prefers the ENO over my Hennessy

Just try it out for a night and see how it does. If it doesn't work for you then get something else for sure.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    That hammock is too short IMO. I'd look for a hammock in the 10 to 11 foot range. Check out some of the vendors here if you intend on using it in the backcountry.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Wow, thank you for all the quick replies! I think I am going to return the ENO hammock due to the short length and use the money to buy another one. I'm going to look at all of your suggestions after work today.

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    I don't know if I would return it for a complete loss. Depending on the straps you got with it. If they are the ENO Atlas straps, which are about 30 dollars, this gives you the small hammock for 10 dollars. This is about the cost of the return shipment. If they are the ENO slap straps then this setup is a complete loss. The slap straps are completely useless unless you enjoy having to get out of your hammock every couple hours and readjusting your straps.

I agree with your strap comment. Whoopies change my life.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Comfort vs convince?

Someone posted a video here at HF recently showing the difference that length alone can make in comfort. If I was not mobile I could find it for you. At over 6' if you are not a young teenager with no significant sports type injuries I would recommend you do so more research here at HF before buying a hammock. I spend a minimum of $40 on one visit to the Chiropracor. However, when I was young I could sleep with no problems on a "crazy chair" something like today's Alite butterfly leaning against a log by the fire. Or how about those Marines who squat up against a tree all night in pouring rain with only a poncho for shelter. So question is: do you what a great night's sleep on the trail and then enjoy your hike the next day or save perhaps $30 and need to take a day off work to recover from your vacation when you get back?

PS: If your goal is to save $ search DIY tablecloth hammock at HF.

ENO DN if you don't have DIY self confidence or much time, but a benefit of making your own webbing loop straps, Whoopie sling by hand with materials you purchased from local shops is you know that in a pinch or hurry you can repair or replace them all.

Video: Hammock Length verses Hammock Comfort posted by GregB
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-08-2014 at 06:36. Reason: added PS and corrected spelling

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast