HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies

'new' Zip undercover?

I was just looking at the HH website and noticed there is now an undercover for specific zip models.

It also mentioned that it doesn't require disconnecting the side pull-outs to convert over to the recliner mode...

Does anyone have any pictures of the 'new' undercover? What are the differences with the older version?

Is there a way to convert the old style to the new style??

Thanks!

Hi, Sunkmail-

I asked Tom about the Undercover for side-zips. There is no entry/exit slit on the bottom, since it isn't needed for the side-entry model hammocks. I don't know about other mods specific to side-entry. An improvement as far as many might be concerned is the method of attaching the Undercover to the hammock. The original Undercovers were threaded over the suspension lines from each end, necessitating untying and retying the hammock each time the insulation system was added or removed. The improved design wraps the ends over the hammock's ends, fastening with a loop and toggle and eliminating the need to untie and retie the hammock. A pair of mitten hooks and plastic zip ties are supplied to provide tension and further support the Overcover on the suspension ropes. (This part Tom and I haven't discussed. I asked about the differences during Trail Days. I have been helping him as a volunteer there for many years and we are insanely busy most of the time.)

I haven't done so, but would guess that the older style Overcover ends could be opened up, edges reinforced and refinished, and a toggle plus loops added. Mitten hooks and plastic zip/cable ties are available for purchase.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Rosaleen; 09-02-2013 at 10:18. Reason: part of reponse didn't show
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Thanks Rosaleen,

The undercover I have does wrap around the suspension, and I think I misread the part about the side pull-outs... My mind changed suspension to pull-puts for some reason. :P

I'm still not sure what the difference between the zip and non-zip versions are though. If the change did occur after I received mine, perhaps they no longer have the opening on the bottom?
    (I replaced with bungee, where the opening for bottom entry would be, with some thin line. - In case I ever wanted to switch it back - and sewed the opening shut. It made everything more comfortable, as I didn't have any pressure under my legs.)

Hammock
    HH Backpacker ultralight zip
    Tarp
    OWL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    From what I could tell in quick emails back and forth with Tom the primary difference is that there is no slit in the bottom Sunkmail. I did the same thing as you did with my undercover, removed the bungee and sewed it shut. Noticed an immediate difference to comfort on windy days.

• + New Posts