Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images

#$%^@$%# Weather

God I love Missouri. Trip planned for weeks been looking like a little rain the first night Sat and then a nice day Sun and Mon. Then in 3 days it goes from a rainy and little cold to a d!@# blizzard..... on the LAST WEEKEND OF MARCH. I swear, I almost am ready to believe in a higher power since it's pushing it to think that chance just manages to set a major storm over every trip I plan.

I was actually thinking it would be a neat test of my sleep system until it started looking like high's in the 40's and 15mph winds were going to be my reward for slogging through the snow and ice on Saturday.

Oh well. I hate trying to plan weekend trips. It's a total waste to drive 5 hours to SE Missouri to set under a tarp in the rain and it only takes a few hours of movement in a storm's time-frame to make it a mostly nice weekend to a mostly nasty one. I'll just have to wait a little longer for my woods-fix.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I am headed to the Ozark Trail tomorrow, getting in late afternoon. The forecast looks pretty bad for Saturday night:

Rain likely before 9pm, then snow likely. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

I may end up sleeping in my car at the trailhead if its bad enough. The good news is it's supposed to clear up on Sunday and be really nice for a coupla days.

Where were you headed? I'm starting here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.011051&z=16

--Kurt

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I was headed a little SW of there to Rocky Falls on the Current River Section. I wish I could take a couple days off and go Sunday night and Monday night and come home Tuesday but since I was going to do this with a friend and he wasn't wanting to take 2 days of vacation we are just going to have to pick another weekend.

Are you heading towards the Lake or towards Taum Suak from DD? I have spent several days along the Bell Mountain, Taum Sauk, and Peter Cave Hollow areas in there. It's a really pretty place in the fall! If you can get there quick you might even catch Mina Sauk Falls flowing after a good soaking rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Blizzard yesterday; couldn't see the street from my kitchen window which is about 15'. Today, bright sunshine! The 14" of snow is down to about 4" of slush.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    One of my 'coolest' nights out camping was a snowshoe trip.

We almost didn't go because of the bad weather. The second night sleet started about 5 PM and the thunderstorms started at 8 PM.
    If you have never seen lightning reflecting off 2' of snowcover...very, very cool and creepy.
    Snow started at midnight and had 8" by morning...beautiful to emerge to everything covered in powder.
    Weather adds to a trip...just think of the cool stories you'll have later!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    One of my 'coolest' nights out camping was a snowshoe trip.

We almost didn't go because of the bad weather. The second night sleet started about 5 PM and the thunderstorms started at 8 PM.
    If you have never seen lightning reflecting off 2' of snowcover...very, very cool and creepy.
    Snow started at midnight and had 8" by morning...beautiful to emerge to everything covered in powder.
    Sorry man, I'm not that hard . I find rain distasteful but tolerable if there is going to be more nice than bad over the weekend. 28 degrees and 25mph gusts is just not something I'll do for a weekend trip. If I were going on a multiday trip that I was already committed too I'd suck it up, but this sucker is looking pretty wild and it's dumping a foot of snow between me and the destination.

My friend is more of a fair-weather camper than I am too!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I am headed to the Ozark Trail tomorrow, getting in late afternoon. The forecast looks pretty bad for Saturday night:

Rain likely before 9pm, then snow likely. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

I may end up sleeping in my car at the trailhead if its bad enough. The good news is it's supposed to clear up on Sunday and be really nice for a coupla days.

Where were you headed? I'm starting here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.011051&z=16

--Kurt
    Looks like the Middle Fork section. I love that section. Did it over New Years. Lots of pretty streams and even a few waterfalls. Have fun!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I was headed a little SW of there to Rocky Falls on the Current River Section. I wish I could take a couple days off and go Sunday night and Monday night and come home Tuesday but since I was going to do this with a friend and he wasn't wanting to take 2 days of vacation we are just going to have to pick another weekend.

Are you heading towards the Lake or towards Taum Suak from DD? I have spent several days along the Bell Mountain, Taum Sauk, and Peter Cave Hollow areas in there. It's a really pretty place in the fall! If you can get there quick you might even catch Mina Sauk Falls flowing after a good soaking rain.
    I went to Mina Sauk in November but the falls were dry. Did it again in February after the rains and it was flowing nicely. We hung our hammock on top of Taum Sauk on a crystal clear night and watched the stars.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    All the above. Doing several yo-yo's: up to the lake, then down to Bell, back up to car, down the Middle Fork and back. We'll see how far I get in 7 days on the trail.

My first trip to the OT, so I'm exploring & getting a feel for the trail. Figured this is a good central location to branch out from as there are 3 choices of directions to go.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I can do cold, witness the -26F night with Shug, I guess we got some good stories out of that one. Snow is no problemo. I can do rain.

What I have trouble with is cold rain. I've walked the edge of hypothermia a few times up near the Canadian border. When you are soaked and its really cold you can't stop to eat or take breaks: immediate chill and stiffening up. By the end of the day exhaustion sets in and you can't generate enough heat.

In this case I'll be setting out late in the day in temps near freezing, wind gusts to 30mph, and rain changing to snow. Not fun conditions to motivate to get out of the car, much less set up the hammock in. Plus I'm trying to use a wood stove on this trip...might have to lug the Jetboil for a day or two until things dry out.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast