DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

TX-250 with weathershield tweaks

It has rained almost every day this summer in Atlanta. I'm inside today looking over my new TX-250 and I have some questions the group may be able to help me with.

I really wish it wasn't raining because I'd like to set this up ASAP. I stretched it out on the floor and was shocked to see how short it is. My gathered end is 11 feet long and it feels short. Hopefully it isn't an issue since its a different kind of hammock.

1) I've decided to replace the original suspension with the whoopies and tree straps I already have. I'll need to buy descending rings and some amsteel chain links or similar to loop through the hammock. What length of chain link do most people use? I know just about any length will work but the rings could be useful to clip things to if they end up in the right place.

2) I read the users guide for the hammock and it cautions you you not to set it up too tight so that the netting doesn't get pulled. Is it possible to put a ridgeline of some sort on this hammock to help with that? I like the ridgeline in my gathered end hammock for storing my headlamp and glasses at night.

3) Would a ridgeline of some sort help keep the poles from flopping over?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Suspension
    Webbing+Rings
    Hey litetrek, congrats on the purchase! I understand the angst of having new gear and not being able to get out there and set it up. Just recently got an NX-250, don't worry about the overall length, I'm about 6' tall and 300lbs, lots of space in the hammock.

For your questions #2, I can see a ridgeline being added as there are some small loops along the top of both hoods on the hammock, guessing it's the same on the TX as the NX. One thing to keep in mind though is that your hammock has a couple pockets on the inside up in the head end, an a hand loop too that I've used to clip my headlamp to. You'd have to be careful with a ridgeline and ensure it's just right not to cause damage, but certainly doable.

For question #3, I see this mostly as a problem only when you're not using the bug netting, and when the hammock is empty. Once you get your weight in there, the poles perk right up into place.

Hope you get out there and try out the new hammock soon, enjoy!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks mitchamaphone. Good info. I haven't looked at the inside pockets yet. I knew the hammock has them although I read that they are pretty small and possibly useless. I like to hang my headlamp from the ridgeline because you can slide it back and forth to get it in just the right spot to read. The hand loop sounds like a good place to store stuff as you suggested.

I use 10-12" continuous loops in the channels. You can just use a marlin spike hitch and toggles to directly connect to your tree straps or add a whoopies.
    Most of the time I just use whoopies in the channels. I have never used rings on any of my hammocks so I can help on that issue.

You can set a guide line to help with setup but after a few times setting up, you will be able to just glance at the hammock to tell it is set to your sweet spot.
    Last edited by spaceweaseal; 09-02-2013 at 19:21.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Suspension
    Webbing+Rings
    Used to have a Hennessey, loved the ridgline for hanging stuff... if you do end up putting one on, do let us know how it goes and maybe I'll follow suit!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks spaceweasel. Yeah I could just thread the whoopies into the hammock channel. That would be nice and simple and the lightest way to go. I use small biners to attach the whoopies to the tree straps. I have some toggles but I just don't like having to keep up with them. I've seen the toggles tied on the whoopies with little lanyards, but its just too much stuff to fiddle around with for me.

I was leaning toward the rings because I thought they would also work well as drip rings.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Lite,

I'm 6' 3" -- 240 lbs and don't have a problem with space with my TX-250.
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: TX-250 with weathershield tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    It has rained almost every day this summer in Atlanta... I really wish it wasn't raining because I'd like to set this up ASAP.
    1) I've decided to replace the original suspension with the whoopies and tree straps I already have. I'll need to buy descending rings and some amsteel chain links or similar to loop through the hammock. What length of chain link do most people use? I know just about any length will work but the rings could be useful to clip things to if they end up in the right place.
    2) I read the users guide for the hammock and it cautions you you not to set it up too tight so that the netting doesn't get pulled. Is it possible to put a ridgeline of some sort on this hammock to help with that? I like the ridgeline in my gathered end hammock for storing my headlamp and glasses at night.
    Thanks!
    Congrats on the TX. I live in the Pacific Northwet and know too much rain is depressing so I hope a nice Indian Summer is just around the corner for you. I'm a hammock noob and don't know squat but I'll offer my 2’ from my vast 4 nights of experience with my NX-250.
    1) a 12" continuous loop of 7/64 Amsteel with a descending ring inside the loop (semi-)permanently positions the drip rings at about 5" from the ends of the Clark. Since I still have the original (ropes and) drip rings I also have the option removing the continuous loops and looping the Clark rings onto the whoopies and position them where I want.
    2) yes when I am not in the hammock the poles sag a bit but it's no big deal, and actually a good indicator that when I get into the hammock I am not going to damage the bug net/weather shield.
    3) I'm not sure how well this applies to the TX but there are plastic rings sewn outside at the peaks of the NX-250 head and foot hoops for pitching as a bivvy tent that could be used for a ridge line. Since they are outside the bug net/weather shield I can't envision it would be very useful for rigging a pocket. And with 6 pockets on the bottom of the NX and 2 inside that I can reach when lying in the hammock a ridge line pocket is a non-issue.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 09-03-2013 at 11:35.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•. Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•. Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•. Έ

I have been following your posts and it appears that prior to your purchase, you analyzed the Clark web site quite extensively for your hammock weight concerns. How can you be shocked at the length when it is disclosed on the web site?

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    It has rained almost every day this summer in Atlanta. I'm inside today looking over my new TX-250 and I have some questions the group may be able to help me with.

I really wish it wasn't raining because I'd like to set this up ASAP. I stretched it out on the floor and was shocked to see how short it is. My gathered end is 11 feet long and it feels short. Hopefully it isn't an issue since its a different kind of hammock.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Just received my TX-250 a couple of days ago. Replaced the stock ropes with buckles attached to continuous loops and straps.
    Inside pockets are large enough for your glasses, headlamp and phone (not for me) if you want.
    Also the grab strap is a great place to hang a peak bag which will hold all of the above and more, such as a beanie, gloves, etc.
    Have also added 5” of zing-it to the inside zippers to help open/close.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast