Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    Theschnizzle....I too am old to tent camping, and new ot ahmmocking, but I set mine up on my girlfriends patio and took a nap in it in 104* temps and slept pretty fine for an hour or so. I love hammocking. Yes, you're trading stuff for different stuff, but it's stuff that will make you feel more comfortable that really counts.

You can go lighter than a tent (even the tarptents) by getting something like a Grand Trunk Nano 7 (7oz.) and either make or find a less than one pound bug net for the summer months. The thing is you asked about both keeping warm and needing more stuff.

Soooo....I'm definitely +1 for all who said, keep the sleeping bag, ditch the pad and get or make (see the DIY sub-forum right here) an under quilt. You can make one that's wide enough to go up over your sides which will add warmth to your shoulder area, and combined with the sleeping bag, you should be right toasty. In fact you won't need a 0* UQ or sleeping bag. Check Shug's video trip report on the Frozen Butt Hang in MInnesota in -9F temps. He ahd a 20* UQ, a 30* sleeping bag, a thin CCF pad (I think) and of course he was wearing appropriate clothing. But the key is he was fine sleeping.

I'm also +1 on the ease of hammocking vice tents. With a hammock, I never have to worry about level, rock, root or stick free area to setup in. I just have to find two trees about 12' apart, and I'm set!
    No pad used....just a 20º bag as a pod and my Frankenquilt UQ (rated around 28º) and a light TQ.
    Shug the Warm
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    Kelty Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    There's the man himself. His videos will explain more in half an hour than you will be able to look up in a full day of researching. A full day of research will probably land you in his videos anyway.

The suggestion to go to an UQ is good, but if you want to continue "dipping your toes in" to the hammock world without more expense, try using your pad for now.

If you want to go ahead and get a quilt now anyway, my dad just got himself a
    Kick-*** Quilts "New River" (full length) that was very reasonably priced. I would suggest a 3/4 length myself to cut down on some bulk and weight.

One last thing you may have to look into, I'm not 100% sure all UQs fit well the the Hennessey hammocks, since some manufacturers build Hennessey specific models. Someone else should chime in here unless I get a chance to confirm this with my dad...I'm not sure he's tried his New River on his Hennessey yet since he's typically in his WBBB.

Pennsylvania Furnace, PA (near State College)
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    They got to look at the bush...
    Sorry to digress, but this is what I kept thinking about Friday night on my first night in the woods with my hammock. I slept hanging between two trees over a boulder field that opened to a great view. To the east of me, I was looking down a couple hundred feet over beautiful, rolling hills dotted with cabin lights with a star-filled sky above. To the west of me was dense, pitch-black forest, especially since there was no moon out. I kept looking back and forth from east to west and whenever I looked toward the forest, I thought to myself, "Man... I'm glad I'm not sleeping in there!"

But I guess the point is that I COULD have slept in there, if I wanted to, but with a tent, there was no choice.

Hi shug. Ihave watched a couple of your vids this am. The sleepbag one it looked as though the blue pad was pretty crumply looking. Bunchy. Why do you recommend the sleep bav unzipped as opposed to using it zipped up? I will be watching more of yr vids.

And yes I dont really want to spend to much more on this whole hammock thing, I have already laid out between 200/275. But I am hoping that my first field test to be a pleasent one. I, of course, expect some hiccups.and frustration.

One of tbose lue pads wouldnot fit on my motorcgcle. I ride a hayabusa so a very minumim of tie down points. I prefer to not have crap bungeed and strappex on, chance of loss is high.

All my camp kit should ideally fit in my lockable side/ top cases. One exception are my BA tent poles that I can bungee behind me on the seat. Heavier items must be as centralized as possible for bike handling and control.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    Hi shug. Ihave watched a couple of your vids this am. The sleepbag one it looked as though the blue pad was pretty crumply looking. Bunchy. Why do you recommend the sleep bav unzipped as opposed to using it zipped up? I will be watching more of yr vids.

And yes I dont really want to spend to much more on this whole hammock thing, I have already laid out between 200/275. But I am hoping that my first field test to be a pleasent one. I, of course, expect some hiccups.and frustration.

One of tbose lue pads wouldnot fit on my motorcgcle. I ride a hayabusa so a very minumim of tie down points. I prefer to not have crap bungeed and strappex on, chance of loss is high.

All my camp kit should ideally fit in my lockable side/ top cases. One exception are my BA tent poles that I can bungee behind me on the seat. Heavier items must be as centralized as possible for bike handling and control.

Thanks again!
    I personally like un-zipped. Most of the time when I used pads I went with an SPE (search ENO HotSpot) with a Themarest Prolite pad slightly under-inflated.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Shug be da man

I have a neoair that I bought recently, I like its incredible pack ability and lightness. Bonus is its grippyness, no more sliding around or off at night.

I also have the prolite pad. All my pads are sized short or small, again for ultimate bulk and weight savings. I am going to the eno site and check oht that pad in the pic....get back at ya.....

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Newb question...sorry...it's been asked before...

If you r sleeping bag has a double zipper you could experiment with the pea-pod method I hear that work really well for some people

I have no idea what the pea pod method means!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    Kelty Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    I have no idea what the pea pod method means!
    The Peapod refers to fully enclosing the hommock in a single quilt or sleeping bag. It's a great idea for open-top hammocks in very cold weather as far as I can tell, but it's not the status quo.

I've not seen this work on a hammock with an integral mosquito net like your Hennessy so I wouldn't worry about it for now.

I can't wait to read your trip report on your first trial hang

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast