Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    I have actually seen several of those videos, haha. I do think the single tree setups are neat, I have used 1 similar to the one the guy uses in the last link you posted and it works. The nice thing about carrying around 40feet or so of cord for a ridgeline (If your not worried about weight, which I am not, im more worried about pack size) is that you have extra cordage to use for single tree setups or the like. And I find that and extra length of amsteel is not all that heavy any way ( What is it like 100ft to the pound?). I know some of you like to count things down to the gram but I tend to not worry about it as long as my pack is under 80Lbs or so, but then again Im young and still have a good back and enjoy it still. :P I really like the turnbuckle idea, I found one that holds over 2 thousand pounds and only weighs 12oz and may pick that up and give it a shot.

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    Check out ready straps dot com. Affliated with the forum and have straps that fit most situations

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    How Tight could you get a line with a cinch buckle system on webbing straps like at that website you posted? Another thought I have is what If I use a cinch buckle on an extra long piece of webbing that connects to a whoopie on my amsteel. Connect up the whoopie to the carabiner attached to the cinch buckle and pull it tight as possible, then use a cinch on the webbing and pull the tension on there. Thoughts?

Edit: Kinda like This but have it pulled tight and then connected to a whoopie instead of the hammock.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Here is an explanation with the math. Note that at flat the load goes to infinity:

http://www.ropebook.com/information/vector-forces
    Great explanation. Thanks for sharing that!

Quote Originally Posted by randomsteve95370 View Post
    Ratchet straps work great, but its kinda hard to find a set that spans 50 feet for the trees ...
    Not sure I follow, as ratchet straps would work better than a turnbuckle or come-along for taking up slack over a long distance. You aren't taking up the whole 50 feet, but just some smaller portion to take up the slack.

You seem to be "forcing" (pun intended) a desired answer.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    Ratchet straps would work. When I was thinking about it I was thinking that you would have to use a strap for the entire run, not just for 1 tree strap. Stupid assumption on my part.

I do however like a turnbuckle slightly better I think because it allows for a smaller minimum distance hang, and it just seems easier to setup to me. For some reason I am having a hard time understand exactly how a ratchet strap would work. It seems to me a ratchet strap would suck down really tight on the tree as well as on the line to create the tension, but idk I just woke up and am probably not thinking clearly.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Amsteel rope tension.

Get a ratchet strap of the appropriate rating if you go that route. I've had a ratchet strap tree hugger break when using the harbor freight 1" strap. I use proper tree straps now. The hang angle I was using was probably 20° and I weigh 240lbs. When you add tension and then dynamic load your forces will be much higher than you think. Keep this in mind when selecting your heard wear.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    Yeah i would find a couple thousand pound test ratchet strap if I go that way. So if I use a ratchet strap would I replace the tree strap with it and then connect it to the amsteel? Or connect the ratchet strap to the tree strap then to the amsteel?

Would connecting the strap straight to the tree suck it down to tight on the tree? Seems like I am going to have to go out and buy one and try it out. Sorry for the confusion earlier, for some reason I had already decided ratchet straps wouldnt work so I just couldn't seem to understand how to make it work.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Wrap the ratchet strap around the tree, through a forged descender ring (or higher strength ring) and connect it back to itself. Have the amsteel connected to the ring and the second tree. This gives the ratchet strap a mechanical advantage with the ring acting as a pulley.

I have no idea what the strength requirements of the ratchet strap and ring need to be.

Taut SLS.jpg

Disclaimer...you're going to die!

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Wrap the ratchet strap around the tree, through a forged descender ring (or higher strength ring) and connect it back to itself. Have the amsteel connected to the ring and the second tree. This gives the ratchet strap a mechanical advantage with the ring acting as a pulley.

I have no idea what the strength requirements of the ratchet strap and ring need to be.

Taut SLS.jpg

Disclaimer...you're going to die!

That! Makes sense. Took me way to long to understand (Your pic helped a ton thx) but that makes sense and would work pretty well I think. Now yeah its not super light or anything. The average strap weighs about a pound, but for me slightly more weight is worth being able to setup in just a few mins with a preset hang, tarp and everything. 1 day maybe I will switch to a different rope that is still strong and non stretch that I can just put a truckers hitch in, but for now I like amsteels splicing abilities and such.

I will be sure to post back if I die

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I think we were both looking at wrapping one end of a ratchet strap around a tree and connecting it to itself and then connecting the other end to the amsteel in a straight line with little mechanical advantage. Then it clicked for me...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast