Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I calmed myself down by watching all three of shrugs...noobs and whatnot" videos......I am definatley both...a noob AND a whatnot!

It's certainly helpful to be pointed in the direction of WHERE to buy a msteel and zing. Thank you. And what the product actually is.....

Pm gratefully replied......

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just curious - what type of hammock do you have? If we had more specifics on your current setup, we could offer better suggestions rather than talking about hammocks vs. tents in the abstract.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm guessing if you're motorcycle camping there was a bit of a learning curve there too. You didn't just wander into the dealership and whip out your credit card. Hammock camping is just the next stage in evolution. If you're not willing/able to tinker and you require the pre-packaged solution then it might not be for you.

I have two friends that I've tried to get into hammocking. They both cling to the ground except in the hottest weather while I sway comfortable and warm in most any climate now. I'd admit, in a really bad windstorm I kind of miss my stable and low to the ground tent. That is, until I crawl out sore and stiff in the morning to a lake in front of my door. In the evenings with a gentle rain it's amazing how much "company" shows up under my tarp rather than sulking inside their tents.

I can't say hammock/tarp setups are better for everyone, but they are for me. There is kind of a learning curve though.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    And just when you think you've figured it all out, somebody comes up with new stuff to figure out! Good luck. Are you hanging your foot end higher than your head? Pictures would help us help you.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    ... In the evenings with a gentle rain it's amazing how much "company" shows up under my tarp rather than sulking inside their tents...
    And how much company can stay dry under mine

In double porch mode, even more.

For heavy rains with wind, closed down, low to ground. In blowing tropical storms. Drop the tarp to ground, close the doors, good to go. Let's see a tent do that
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    Arghhh.......I am getting frustrated with this hammock thing! What a steep learning curve. My tent is so easy in comparison. Last time I rigged up the system, I had a nice tight ridge line with the para cord and now,arghhh... I am a small person,why do I feel " scrunched up" in the hammock? And it's the one for "bigger" guys.

Yes, I am laying on an angle. And now I need a pad extender to actually sleep in now,since its gotten cool out. Another 50 bucks. I have to pay for shipping and then currency conversion.

Yes, I am ranting now.....just let me go on for a little bit more....

I don't really have to much problem setting up the hammock itself using rappelling rings and carabiners but man, they are heavy! But...dead simple. But I need a quick and simple way to knot/ tie whatever, my para cord ridge line.

I do realize that the more I practice the quicker and simpler it will be,but it's so frustrating now, I just want to throw my hands up and walk away. To my tent.....

I really didn't realize what I was getting myself into regarding weight and bulk and stuff to pack on my motorcycle regarding hammocking. I wanted to try it because I find more often than not, I am not sleeping as well in my tent.

I even bought a BA astro pad with the pillow top and the matching pillow. I even sacrificed size weight and bulk for that pad and...meh.....

Quick, talk me out of jumping.......!!!!

I hear ya. I'm right there with you. I've been watching videos and reading about various hammocks, ect, ect. I think before I start buying equipment, I'm going to try and get to a "hang" to see what others are doing/using or see if someone living nearby would be willing to show me their setup.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Invest in the book The Ultimate Hang.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 8 by 10
    Insulation
    20 Degree Pheonix
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hang in there!

I've been messing around with hammocks for years and still am always trying something new. Still learning or looking for better ways at all times. So I've been slowly absorbing for years and lately have taken a friend of mine who is new to backpacking and hammocks out and holy cow. It really showed me just how overwhelming this all is for someone who is new to it and trying to assimilate it all at once. I was so tired out from explaining and correcting and setting up both setups in high wind that I jokingly said to him, how about we just get one of those popup tents and call it good. But I was joking LOL. I sleep so much better in the hammock. Might not be perfect all the time but not having to crawl in and out of a little tent is worth it to me. I did suggest to my friend that he ought to TRY sleeping on the ground, maybe he is just one of those people for whom it is comfortable, but he's not interested in that it doesn't seem.

Anyway hang in there, relax and just take it slow. A lot of the difficulties work themselves out with practice and become natural. I'm still working on a pad setup (I have a UQ but am trying to get used to using pads because I like the idea of being able to sleep on the ground if necessary), and trying to figure a way to keep two pads together without using a SPE because of the extra weight. I currently have ordered two 1/4 inch pads that are 26 inches wide and I'm going to try gluing them together at the long edges and then see if I can slide a 20 inch wide 3/8 inch pad between them for colder weather conditions.

Good luck and keep asking questions, there are so many real experts here who will help you. Don't hesitate to post pictures of the specific problems you have having, they help a lot!

I have a hennessey hammock deluxe asym with side zip. Could it be the explorer? Expedition? I forget and I misplaced the bag. Came with the upgraded 70D fly and upgraded tree staps. Hex fly....does that help?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast