Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Frustrated with this hammocking buisness!!!!!

Arghhh.......I am getting frustrated with this hammock thing! What a steep learning curve. My tent is so easy in comparison. Last time I rigged up the system, I had a nice tight ridge line with the para cord and now,arghhh... I am a small person,why do I feel " scrunched up" in the hammock? And it's the one for "bigger" guys.

Yes, I am laying on an angle. And now I need a pad extender to actually sleep in now,since its gotten cool out. Another 50 bucks. I have to pay for shipping and then currency conversion.

Yes, I am ranting now.....just let me go on for a little bit more....

I don't really have to much problem setting up the hammock itself using rappelling rings and carabiners but man, they are heavy! But...dead simple. But I need a quick and simple way to knot/ tie whatever, my para cord ridge line.

I do realize that the more I practice the quicker and simpler it will be,but it's so frustrating now, I just want to throw my hands up and walk away. To my tent.....

I really didn't realize what I was getting myself into regarding weight and bulk and stuff to pack on my motorcycle regarding hammocking. I wanted to try it because I find more often than not, I am not sleeping as well in my tent.

I even bought a BA astro pad with the pillow top and the matching pillow. I even sacrificed size weight and bulk for that pad and...meh.....

Quick, talk me out of jumping.......!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    IMHO, the comfort developed will far outweigh the beginning difficulty.
    You stated correctly,"learning curve." Enjoy the trip, it is well worth it!!

Oh, welcome to the Forum too.

You're never going to get a consistent hang using paracord. It stretches alot, especially when wet. Try dynaglide or some zingit for your ridgeline. Swapping your stock steel biners (if you're using an ENO) for some light weight climbing biners will drop quite a bit of weight.

That said your tight squeezed uncomfortable inconsistent hang probably has more to do with you stringing up your suspension at too flat of an angle. You want to be aiming for 30 degrees from the tree. More natural sag will relieve the tension on your ridgeline quite a bit you, may even need to shorten it some. That said the ridgeline wont really do it's job well if it's made from paracord because as said, it stretches.

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    As far as your suspension, look at the Dutchware site. I used the same setup until I met Dutch and Keith at my first hang. First thing they did was put whoopie slings on my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Re: Frustrated with this hammocking buisness!!!!!

It sounds to me that you might not be utilizing the best setup for your needs. For me the weight and bulk difference between hammock camping and tent camping was negligible. But that all depends on your choices in gear. It's up to you to decide what to use. Sometimes simple and easy to use items can be heavier than lighter less bulky items. Case-and-point: UCRs vs defender rings and webbing, or down UQs vs CCF pads. Although UQs can be heavier.
    Hammocks ain't for everyone.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    Arghhh.......I am getting frustrated with this hammock thing! What a steep learning curve. My tent is so easy in comparison. Last time I rigged up the system, I had a nice tight ridge line with the para cord and now,arghhh... I am a small person,why do I feel " scrunched up" in the hammock? And it's the one for "bigger" guys.

Yes, I am laying on an angle. And now I need a pad extender to actually sleep in now,since its gotten cool out. Another 50 bucks. I have to pay for shipping and then currency conversion.

Yes, I am ranting now.....just let me go on for a little bit more....

I don't really have to much problem setting up the hammock itself using rappelling rings and carabiners but man, they are heavy! But...dead simple. But I need a quick and simple way to knot/ tie whatever, my para cord ridge line.

I do realize that the more I practice the quicker and simpler it will be,but it's so frustrating now, I just want to throw my hands up and walk away. To my tent.....

I really didn't realize what I was getting myself into regarding weight and bulk and stuff to pack on my motorcycle regarding hammocking. I wanted to try it because I find more often than not, I am not sleeping as well in my tent.

I even bought a BA astro pad with the pillow top and the matching pillow. I even sacrificed size weight and bulk for that pad and...meh.....

Quick, talk me out of jumping.......!!!!

Is there any way that you might be able to take a couple of pictures and post them of your setup. it might help us to help you out.
    If you haven't already check out these videos from Shug who is a forum member here.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Wow, first things first... breathe in breathe out, breathe in breathe out, repeat.
    I had and still have a few frustrations with hanging and getting it perfect. I would toss the paracord, it stretches too much and changes in length. Then I would go and watch as many of Shug's video's on Youtube on how to set up a hammock.
    I use simple 1.5 inch wide tree straps and a marlin spike hitch attached to amsteel whoopie slings for my hammock. And tech line for my ridge line (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/) It's cheap and strong with little to no stretch. The best advise I can give is hang it up and make small adjustments till you get it right. Also another good source for a beginner is 'The Ultimate hang" by Derek Hanson. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hang-...s=ultimatehang It is an easy read and great illustration.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    What they said^^^^^! I switched over to whoopie slings. You can buy them from dutch or make your own. It is easier than it looks. Paracord stretches and it wicks water. So if your running it under your tarp prepare to be wet from dripping water in the rain. Now that being said If you were to run it on top and put in some drip lines or loops problem solved. I personally like a truckers hitch for my tarp line. I am experimenting with it on top and using triple wrapped prusik knots to bind it in place. Think about ways to make things lighter. For instance I have no hardware at all on my ENO DB now. Just a couple of whoopies and a whoopie for a ridge line all made out of amsteel blue.

UCRS, whoppie slings, zing it......just sends me tohave to look up what all those terms mean and how to or should I try to apply them somehow. Which just sends to into another round of frustration.

Amsteel, farmers knots, truckers hitch.....youza, I am feeling overwhelmed.

The fellow I bought the hammock from hung the hex fly using a seperate para cord that he included. Should I not be hanging the fly separately?

I don't even know where to look/ go for whatever am steel is and ordering anything from eBay or from the states costs an arm and a leg not including Paypal fees.

YES!!!!!! IAM whining and snivelling!!!!!! I admit it!!!!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Re: Frustrated with this hammocking buisness!!!!!

We all had to sit down and do research to learn this method of camping just like everyone else. My setup wasn't perfect the first time I used it. I had to sit down and research all the different materials out there to use and various methods to using them. Luckly there is a site that explains all these abbreviations and all the different ways to setup your hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast