Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps

HH Explorer Deluxe UQ Help

For my hennessey hammock explorer deluxe, what under quilt options fit best? Should I go with the hennessey system of the sil nylon under cover and under pad? To get colder hang coverage, is this the way to go, or would another UQ option be better/more practical? Use the hennessey system and *** the radiant bubble layer? Thanks.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I like that it is neat and tidy, but then I like fiddling with getting everything lined up nicely. I think there are less costly ways to go, probably easier too.

I use my overcover a lot, it gives just the right amount of extra warmth in the winter. I move my Supershelter around between my hennessy hammocks, so I do not have it set up on one specific hammock. I have been through some major rainstorms in the complete Supershelter, I stayed dry and not too steamy. I am happy with mine, but their is a learning curve with learning to use it.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I didn't hang in a hennesey too long so I can't say what the best UQ is but I will say that the hennessey system is impossible to pack back up in the original stuff sack

I even tried using a small diameter pole as a starting rode to help role it. No dice, I think they did it in a vacuumed chamber or something.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm going to disagree. The HHSS underpad and UC are not that tough to get back into the original bishop bag it ships in. There's a "trick" to it, but once you learn it, you'll find it's relatively simple to do.

1. Remove the underpad from the hammock.
    2. Turn the bishop bag inside out, leaving one end fully open, and the other closed.
    3. Fold the underpad in half length-wise, and then again width-wise.
    4. Roll the underpad up, with the strings being gathered into the roll.
    5. Take the bishop bag, and place one end of the rolled pad against the closed end of the bishop bag.
    6. Roll the bishop bag down over the rolled up pad, turning it rightside-out as you go.
    7. Disconnect the UC from the hammock (if you want to store it in the bishop bag, rather than just store it on the hammock).
    8. Ball up the UC, and stuff it into the open end of the bishop bag, on the end of the underpad.
    9. Cinch closed the open end.

Voila! Works for me every time.

The HHSS is a system that's worked very well for me so far. My youngest son and I have both used this system down to about 18F, with some pretty strong gusty winds. Neither of us have actually used the overcover yet, although we both have it. We've NOT used a topquilt with it yet, but used it with sleeping bags in the hammock, and with the space blanket on top of the pad as recommended by Hennessy.

I do have an OWL UQ that I've bought, but not yet had a chance to test it out in really cold weather. I plan on testing it out this fall with a TQ that I'm about to place on order today.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66582

Check this thread for some good information on differing UQ options and feedback from lots of users. Be sure to follow the links posted as they will take you to yet more information. This topic has been beaten into the ground so you will get lots and lots of information.

Me? I went with the JRB The Nest because I wanted something to fit my classic (bottom) entry and something I could use on my DNO Dbl. I also tend to misplace too many parts and pieces so The Nest is best for me but it might not be best for you.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    It required a couple of tries before I figured out how to get it back in its little stuff sack. If I have a flat place I can fold and roll it to fit back in the original bag. What I frequently do it fold everything up hammock, undercover, overcover. Then fold everything in half width wise, then roll it together with the ends hanging out, then it all goes into the hammock stuff sack. Not tidy but it works for me, I have to be very careful with my shoulders so they do not dislocate, or I could do a better job of compressing. I frequently let the hammock and Supershelter System sit for a couple of minutes and then re-roll the unit, that compresses it a little more.

I really like the Overcover for me, it adds just the right amount of warmth, plus I can use a smaller rainfly. Where we Hang is right on the ocean and is very moist if not pouring rain, the over cover keeps the mist off of my hammock.

So much of this is just personal taste. If you like it do it, if not try something else. Lots of ideas and new gear all the time. As your experience grows your wants and needs also change.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'm going to disagree. The HHSS underpad and UC are not that tough to get back into the original bishop bag it ships in. There's a "trick" to it, but once you learn it, you'll find it's relatively simple to do.

1. Remove the underpad from the hammock.
    2. Turn the bishop bag inside out, leaving one end fully open, and the other closed.
    3. Fold the underpad in half length-wise, and then again width-wise.
    4. Roll the underpad up, with the strings being gathered into the roll.
    5. Take the bishop bag, and place one end of the rolled pad against the closed end of the bishop bag.
    6. Roll the bishop bag down over the rolled up pad, turning it rightside-out as you go.
    7. Disconnect the UC from the hammock (if you want to store it in the bishop bag, rather than just store it on the hammock).
    8. Ball up the UC, and stuff it into the open end of the bishop bag, on the end of the underpad.
    9. Cinch closed the open end.

Voila! Works for me every time.

The HHSS is a system that's worked very well for me so far. My youngest son and I have both used this system down to about 18F, with some pretty strong gusty winds. Neither of us have actually used the overcover yet, although we both have it. We've NOT used a topquilt with it yet, but used it with sleeping bags in the hammock, and with the space blanket on top of the pad as recommended by Hennessy.

I do have an OWL UQ that I've bought, but not yet had a chance to test it out in really cold weather. I plan on testing it out this fall with a TQ that I'm about to place on order today.
    Thanks for the tips, Owl! I may try that someday just for fun. And if you get the UC + pad back into the original sack, you will save some significant volume. I doubt any similarly warm full length down UQ plus UQP could pack down very much smaller! But I have not put it to the test.

I have also got the entire system back into the original sack, but without the benefit of your technique. So I have been able to do it, but personally have never bothered, especially on my backpacking trips. I have either removed the pad, and put into a larger compression dry sack often along with other must keep dry items, while wrapping the hammock and UC into snake skins, or just shoved the entire system into a large compression sack. This has worked fine for me, but getting it back in the sack it shipped in would probably get me some additional compression, in case I ever go to a really small pack.

I guess I have not really worried about volume ( unlike weight) as much as a lot of folks do, because I have never yet got down to the really small packs. When I started hammock hanging, I was still using my huge McHale pack. This led to me having to swap out some of my gear with other people in order to get the extra volume ( mainly food) they had no room for into my pack. Though we attempted to keep the weight swapped roughly equal, but I had plenty of room after adding all my gear including my brand new HH UL Explorer + HHSS, with back up ground pads and synthetic 20F bag. That was also my pack the following year when I had dropped even more weight and volume, but still had that HHSS + synthetic mummy bag. After that, I started using some packs that saved me a couple of pounds, but I still have so far had enough room, even using a PeaPod: a Golight 4000 ci 2 lb pack, and a MMP, whose volume is determine by how many and what sized stuff sacks you strap on it. So far volume has not been a huge issue for me, although I have mostly been using a Golight down TQ, or even just the PeaPod plus clothing, for top warmth rather than my big old synthetic bag.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Awesome reports, thanks to everyone. I am not necessarily rich in time or creating skills. I will save my dollars and consider getting the Hennessey system. I spent a very comfortable 55° night in my hammock with a makeshift under quilt of a folded in half camo poncho liner. I slept great, but wonder if it may be more challenging 10° cooler.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WL OldMan Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas whoopies
    I'd use the Phoenix with a foot pad if you're really worried about the end-entry on the HH, but I've used a full-length Incubator 20 with no problems other than being careful getting in....

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Best UQ for a Hennessey is the Potomac from AHE:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html
    Sarge posted this in another thread. Dropping it here for further research and consideration.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast