Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Carabiner to strap ends and rings on 'biner direct to the hennessey suspension rope? I bet my gals would love the simplicity.
    Yep..HH straps around tree...carabiner to strap..rings in the carabiner..HH ropes thru the rings...be sure to do the half hitch ... Dun

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    I used the biner/rings and it is a very fast setup. That said, I just switched to a Dutchware/whoopee setup (he sells the complete set for HH's) and it is faster, easier and a heck of a lot lighter.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I just switched to whoopies on my HH, but my wife's is still set up this way. Quick and easy, if a bit heavy.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I have done the rings on a biner trick. It works but the drip ring function ends up outside the tarp on occasion. For your girls I would look at straps with Dutch hooks or carabiners at the tree and buckles at the hammock.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Got into hanging in July with a HH Explorer Asym Deluxe & just switched to the rings & biner a cpl of days ago. Much more user friendly that having to tie the Fig. 8 knots. I'm temporarily using some steel rings from Lowe's until I can get to an outfitter for rappelling rings. The only downside to them (steel) is.......#1: The smaller diameter of the stock used to mftr the rings creates a tighter bind on the HH stock suspension. This means just a little bit more pulling effort during set-up & I find that I have to pull the rope (between hammock & rings) toward the rings to relieve the pressure on them to break down camp. The larger stock diameter of rappelling rings should eliminate this for the most part, though. #2: The weight difference, although minimal for car camping or the backyard, helps when carried in a backpack. Since this is the shelter of choice for my 2014 SOBO AT Thru attempt, even tho I'm not a gram weenie, weight reduction counts!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Thanks Tri Pod Bob. Love the Chief Seattle quote. I live in his neighborhood.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ

Re: Quick Set-Up and Tensioning?

I use the Biner and rings with my Safari, I will weigh them when i get home...And i love this method,I can have my Safari setup in under 90 seconds..How's that WBBB treating you?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ

Re: Quick Set-Up and Tensioning?

6.9 ounces

Images
    Mumbles, I use the same set up only I nixed the biner. I made a continuous loop from amsteel to replace the ropes, larks headed the two rings onto that. Tree strap to tree (with dutch hook) strap to rings, half hitch to secure.

I thread injected a DIY hammock and did the woopie sling there. I like them but just like this set up better for my HH. Peas and carrots. Everybody is different.

I may still change over to woopies down the road but I'm cool as is for now.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK, I did the 'biners and rings setup for several months, but then read some threads on here that showed folks were seeing some serious breakdown in their stock ropes due to being compressed by the rings. Makes sense if you think about it, since the rings are rounded stock, most of the tension that "holds" the rope from slipping is going to be across the small part of the ring that makes contact with the rope.

Given that, I swapped out to whoopies, but didn't like the constant worry about the "loop over the knot, not the toggle" where you end up on the ground.

My current setup is to use whoopies, with two lightwieght, climbing-rated 'biners.

Strap around the tree...standard MSH knot for the toggle, but run the 'biner through the knot instead of a toggle. Pull the knot tight, slide the 'biner round so you can just clip the loop of the whoopie sling through it, and adjust the whoopie as normal.

Lighter weight due to the whoopies replacing the stock cordage, and the only added weight is two climbing rated 'biners...very light, and very useful to have in any situation in the woods.

And pretty much the same speed as any of the other options for adjusting and taking up/down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast