Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    OK, I did the 'biners and rings setup for several months, but then read some threads on here that showed folks were seeing some serious breakdown in their stock ropes due to being compressed by the rings.
    This is very true. I had my Hyperlite set up with the rings and biners and the rings will eventually wear into your rope. It's a nice and easy method but it comes at a cost.
    Now if you flipped it and attached the rings to the rope close to the hammock and then used long webbing and ran it through the rings for adjustment then you'd be good to go with no worries.

But if you're gonna run the rope through the rings for adjusting then you better keep a very close eye on it because eventually it's going to damage the rope. And I can produce pictures to prove it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    FYI I had Dutch switch out the stock Hennessey suspension for his cinch buckle suspension and it works just as well. Better actually because it doesn't take any effort to loosen it like it does with the rings.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    FYI I had Dutch switch out the stock Hennessey suspension for his cinch buckle suspension and it works just as well. Better actually because it doesn't take any effort to loosen it like it does with the rings.
    I am giving this serious consideration now. I like the rings on the rope and so far there has been no indication of wear on the stock ropes but you can bet the minute I see any, I am going to get Dutch to swap out my suspension for cinch buckles.

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    it doesn't take any effort to loosen it like it does with the rings.

That along with weight is what promoted me to make the switch. The rings can be a PITA to get loose and to adjust compared to the whoopie/Dutchbuckle which is just plain easy.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Fantastic conversation, thank you all. Keep it coming. What I'm considering right now is doing this to each of my daughters Hennessey scout Hammocks. Each of them weighs 60 pounds or less. I have low levels of concern of Rope wear, much higher levels of concerned that they won't impart enough weight load to make sure that the rings bite adequately on the rope.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Fantastic conversation, thank you all. Keep it coming. What I'm considering right now is doing this to each of my daughters Hennessey scout Hammocks. Each of them weighs 60 pounds or less. I have low levels of concern of Rope wear, much higher levels of concerned that they won't impart enough weight load to make sure that the rings bite adequately on the rope.
    Yes, I would agree. Make sure everything is snug when they climb in and it should be fine.

I used rings with my Hennessy for over a year before I started to see the wear ( I'm about 155 lb), but the Garda hitch will definitely mash the solid core Hennessy lines and they will wear through.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have 2 nephews who have both used my HH on the rings many, many times (they both camp with me a lot) and neither have had issues with weight load. The lightest one is about 55 pounds with the heavier one at about 85 pounds.

But, I do double check to make sure they have tied a solid half hitch to keep the rope from slipping through the rings. I have had the 55 pounders rings slip when he forgot to tie the half hitch.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I have just used tree straps and my whoopie slings. Stick loop of whoopie through both loops of tree strap. Stick trekking pole through whoopee loop and pull against tree strap. I don't have to carry extra rings, carabiners, hooks, etc.

I have recently run into an issue where once camp is set up, people want to take another small day hike around, and my poles are stuck to the tree. So I cut a couple of aluminum tubes to use in place of the trekking poles. They are really light and strong (I used aircraft aluminum tubing) and fit in the tent stake bag.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs

Thumbs up

To eliminate the worry of having the rings slip, I tie a slippery half hitch between the rings & hammock. I wasn't aware of the rope being compromised by the rings. I'll be keeping an eye on that & consider other options as well. Kinda like the way Dutch's strap set-up works as well as whoopies. The Chief was a very wise man, indeed!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    They will be jazzed to have a user friendly simple system and the half hit h or two will be a breeze. Thanks all!!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast