Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images

Sock vs "Storm-Mode" tarp

The days are getting more chilly here in Quebec, and I'm starting to plan ahead for many months of winter/cold-temperature camping. I tested my kelty Noah 12 in "Storm-Mode" and it works great. However, I was wondering what would be the best solution for heat retention?

I am thinking of making a DIY hammock sock modeled after my current bugnet. I was wondering what would be the pros and cons of making a sock (used with a tarp in normal mode) instead of having a tarp in storm mode (with UQ insulation obviously).

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by UpMySleeves; 09-05-2013 at 18:32. Reason: spelling error

Images
    With your weather, you might want to consider some heat. I know it's not the cheapest route, but it's worth every penny...

http://titaniumgoat.com/
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/member.php?u=3145
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    Great, thanks! I can't watch the video here at work (but yes I can browse HammockForums haha!) I'll have a look later on

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Sock vs "Storm-Mode" tarp

I'd go with a winter tarp with doors first. Then sock. More condensation issues with a sock that you don't need/want if you can avoid it. That being said, I use both in winter with good success.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Winter socks work well when set up properly. Condensation can be an issue, but it's not that bad. I've made ripstop socks and now a gore-tex sock -waiting for cold, wet weather to appear - I have great hopes for the gore-tex - waterproof and breathable.

With the ripstop sock I could gain 10-20* worth of heat as opposed to outside temps. With the gore, I hope for 20-30 degrees. This thing really traps heat. Its also fitted to the hammock so there's no wasted space being warmed. Of course it's heavy - 2-3 times more than a conventional sock.

Socks are easy to make - ripstop, canvas - anything that blocks wind and can retain heat is worth trying out. Draping a blanket over your hammock can make a big difference.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    I have found that if there is even a slight breeze A winter sock works great if not then not so good. I recommend a bigger tarp

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    If its going to stay below -5C, a canvas sock can work very well with no tarp. If there is any chance the precipitation could be liquid, then a tarp is in order. Socks will retain heat and block wind far better than a tarp, but you have to learn to manage condensation which isn't hard to do.

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    If its going to stay below -5C, a canvas sock can work very well with no tarp. If there is any chance the precipitation could be liquid, then a tarp is in order. Socks will retain heat and block wind far better than a tarp, but you have to learn to manage condensation which isn't hard to do.
    Thanks! I saw a canvas tarp on the mollymacpack.com site. It might be a valid option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    With your weather, you might want to consider some heat. I know it's not the cheapest route, but it's worth every penny...
    Thanks for the input and the vid. Is it just me or the framerate isn't great? Anyhow, it got to see the setup pretty well. I don't have that money to spend, but would the cheapest 215$ cylindar stove (the one in your thumbnail) work with that much cubic inches of room, or do you have to go with the big square one?

Images
    Click on his youtube name, that's not his only video on it.
    The 12" cylinder certainly is sufficient. With it fully roaring, it allows me to strip off most of my layers, and sit and relax and eat dinner in a nice nice warm spot as my hammock and quilts are warming up, and my gloves, hat, etc. are drying over the stove on his clever clothesline. Then in the morning, reach your arm out to fire it back up, throw on a pot of water, and relax until the tarp warms up. Just so nice having a warm tarp to get out of the hammock and into your clothes. Now since the lightweight material does hold the heat well so you'll have to keep stoking it. Spend enough time in the cold, and once you hot tent, you'll have a tough time going back, at least for me.
    I'd go with their new 16", not much more money, but allows you to add longer pieces, and will give a bit more heat. And at least a 7' pipe, I've got the pin hole burn marks to prove you need it

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Sock vs "Storm-Mode" tarp

I found my rip stop sock lets some breeze through where as my tarp doesn't. I block wind with the tarp and use the sock for added warmth. I feel blocking wind and insulation are your primary concern. The sock just adds some dead space to heat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast