WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)

pad placement WBBB 1.1

Put pad in between layers. Get in. Shift to diagonal. Left shoulder hanging in the breeze--no pad. Huge amount of pad on the right.

Reshape pad. Now asymmetrical. Put pad between layers. Get in. Shift to diagonal. Left shoulder hanging in the breeze. Huge amount of pad on the right.

Move pad between layers so it is close to the access side. Hold it while getting in. Straight: pad on left. Shift to diagonal. Not enough pad on left.

!!$%@#&&^%@#$!!!

Tips?
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    get rid of pad and get and underquilt. much more comfortable.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 8 by 10
    Insulation
    20 Degree Pheonix
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Are the pads moving as you get in, or is it just that you aren't getting them placed properly to begin with?

I have a nice UQ but have been using pads this season in an attempt to learn how cold I can be comfortable with various combos. I like having something in case I need to go to ground, and also like having luxurious sit pad. I'm toying with idea of doing a long hike someday where I might not be able to hang every night.

I have a WB double layer traveller. It took some practice but I've gotten to where I have no real trouble with the pads. Sometimes I get the initial placement wrong and do have to readjust. But if I get my intial "butt plant" correct the pads don't move after that even if I toss from side to side.

I did get in the hammock without pads and put a small piece of duct tape on the side where my shoulder is and then another on the edge between my feet. This has helped me aim my pads properly.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    Put pad in between layers. Get in. Shift to diagonal. Left shoulder hanging in the breeze--no pad. Huge amount of pad on the right.

Reshape pad. Now asymmetrical. Put pad between layers. Get in. Shift to diagonal. Left shoulder hanging in the breeze. Huge amount of pad on the right.

Move pad between layers so it is close to the access side. Hold it while getting in. Straight: pad on left. Shift to diagonal. Not enough pad on left.

!!$%@#&&^%@#$!!!

Tips?
    Gat an ENO-HotSpot http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...ping-pad-wings or made an SPE (Segmented Pad Extender). Easier to manage pad. But I always laid directly on it rather than between layers.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I've had the same problem with my WBBB 1.1 DL. The best I've done with pads is a home made SPE (it was just loops of cord to hold wings on), not between the layers. I usually use an underquilt but the versatility of pads is a real draw. I'd still like to get pads figured out. There are trips where I'd like a good go-to-ground option... it just opens up a lot more campsites.

Ssdivot, what kind of pad(s) are you using? Are you using some kind of extender?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension

pad moving. . .

Quote Originally Posted by ssdivot View Post
    Are the pads moving as you get in, or is it just that you aren't getting them placed properly to begin with?

I have a nice UQ but have been using pads this season in an attempt to learn how cold I can be comfortable with various combos. I like having something in case I need to go to ground, and also like having luxurious sit pad. I'm toying with idea of doing a long hike someday where I might not be able to hang every night.

I have a WB double layer traveller. It took some practice but I've gotten to where I have no real trouble with the pads. Sometimes I get the initial placement wrong and do have to readjust. But if I get my intial "butt plant" correct the pads don't move after that even if I toss from side to side.

I did get in the hammock without pads and put a small piece of duct tape on the side where my shoulder is and then another on the edge between my feet. This has helped me aim my pads properly.

Yes, the pad definitely moves. It is 1/16" cross-linked polyethylene (with the slippery side UP) and I have it about 34" wide--PLENTY wide. Even when I hold the edge of the pad near the access to between the hammocks, when I go diagonal and check I've got a good 6 to 8" extra on the right and my left shoulder is in the breeze (against fabric with no pad).

Holding it helps, though. It appears that when I allow the hammock fabric to unfurl once I'm in it it is "unfolding" beyond the edge of the pad. And as you note, once I'm butt-planted, the pad doesn't move.

Just one of those annoying things about fabric, it seems...
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have no problem with a pad in my DL 1.7 BB. This is the pad I am using: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/torso-pad/
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 8 by 10
    Insulation
    20 Degree Pheonix
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hi,

I don't use a SPE. They do look useful but I'm trying to avoid the extra weight if possible. I was using a 26 inch walmart pad that has a waffle pattern. It isn't made anymore. I have it 48 inches long which covers from my shoulders to just past my knees. It is a little slippery but still able to keep it in place if careful during the docking procedure. I started getting a little chilly at about 45 degrees so on my last trip, I wanted to add a 20 inch shoulder to butt pad. I velcroed them together initially but in the field I tried to take them apart and the velcro ripped off the larger pad so I just poked some holes in both pads and used mason line to attach them. The attachment didn't need to hold against great force, just keep them in position relative to each other until I got on. It worked fine.

I just received two of the JRB 26 by 48 inch 1/4 inch thick torso pads that Riddled linked to above. I really like these pads! My idea was to contact cement them together along the long edges, leaving a pocket in the middle into which I could slide a 20 inch pad if necessary. These pads are a little grippier and I'm going to hold off on attaching them together permanently as they seem denser than what I've been using an I have the feeling I may be able to just use these two down to lower temperatures than I thought. They stay put in the hammock better and also stay stacked together without any help.

It may just be the material your pad is made of that is causing you more than normal hardship in getting them to stay put. I'm not familiar with that material. I also never tried using such a thin pad so that may have difficulties that I'm not aware of. I have read of people putting lines of silicone on the bottom of pads to keep them from sliding around in tents or on hammock bodies. When I get into my hammock after getting the pad properly positioned, I put my hands on each side of me in the middle of the hammock body pushing down on the pads and hammock until I have sat down. Another thing, and I'm sorry cause this is so hard without seeing what is actually happening, and also hard for me to describe so it might not make sense....after putting the pad in, often the layers of my hammock are not aligned..I mean the upper and lower layers are kind of out of sync and the seams between the two layers might not be where it should be. If I get in the hammock with it like that things are all screwed up and twisted. So after putting the pads in I shake the hammock around a bit to get the layers lined up. I'm sorry if that doesn't make any sense, I'm not that good with words. Just I make sure that the hammock is spread out with the seams between the layers on the edges before I get in.

I hope this helps and that you're able to get your problems figured out. I thought I was going to have more trouble at first and it did seem like it might be easier to not put the pads between the layers so I could see better what was going on, but after a little practice it is becoming pretty easy for me to get positioned with them between the layers and now is just a matter of figuring out how much thickness I need for various temperatures.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I use a cheapy pad between the layers on mine. The secret seems to be stuffing it in on a far more extreme diagonal than what I think I'll need. So long as I do that, I don't have a cold shoulder. Can't say I've had shifting problems between the layers, either.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension

good tips

ok some good tips here; silicone (what? sounds grippy whatever form that takes) and the aligning the layers thing, yeah that might do it right there

this stuff is pretty thin; I just made my second layer so it will total 1/8th inch (weight for the two of them together less than a pound--I also trimmed the original pad one last time) and I think the thin-ness makes it behave unlike most pads people discuss here.

I'll try out the doubled version tonight. . .

thanks for the thoughts, all
    //

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast