Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag

New to HH, Questions

I have used hammocks for camping for many years now. Have used home made hammocks since I was in the military, and the not so comfortable net hammock. Decided to move up to HH. Just a couple of questions. 1. I hang my current hammock about neck level, I'm 5' 8", works well but I look at the photos of HH on line & they appear to be tied very low. Is this the best way ?
    2. Is the net on the HH tough ?. Ive allways used a small mosi. net over my head. So far from what Ive been reading on the forums Im moving up from a metro to a caddy. Any tips from expert HH users would be great !

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    careful not to stress the ridge by bouncing and such. I popped mine and the plastic hooks on the ridgeline had enough force to rip the netting. Other than that its tough. It was my improper use. Good product. I hang my HH BPUL bout the same distance as yours, but I have converted mine to a ring buckle set up using 1" webbing.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag
    Dont have the HH yet. UPS has it on a truck somewhere between here & there. Before its gets here wanted to get up to speed as much as possible.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IAhanger View Post
    1. I hang my current hammock about neck level, I'm 5' 8", works well but I look at the photos of HH on line & they appear to be tied very low. Is this the best way ?
    Do you mean you attach it at the trees at neck level, or is the hammock at neck level when you get in? And if the latter, how do you manage to get in it, and how much does it drop when you get in?

I don't know if it's the best way, but I tie off the hammock pretty high at the tree, and the bottom of the hammock is maybe a foot and a half or so above the ground. If the suspension lines are at 30 degrees or so when you start, the hammock does not drop much at all when you get in. If they are at a shallow angle, the hammock will drop a lot more, and you're likely to put more stress on the suspension lines.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Rain Fly 3x4m
    Images
    I like to be able sit with my feet on the ground in my Claytor JH. However I did have a dream one night that a coyote was breathing in my face. I quickly climbed out and raised it up a few feet... then slowly drifted off with a smile on my face and my hand on my 40 cal.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Before I read a lot of HH posts here on HF, I hung my hammock too tight.

Heres how I like to hang my hammock:
    1) find trees that are four paces apart. 13' is ideal.
    2) put the tree huggers on the tree just above head height.
    3) hang the hammock real loose, so that the ridgeline and bugnet lay loose, piled up in the hammock.
    4) tighten the ends a little bit, one at a time, until the ridgeline rises out of the hammock, bringing the bugnet with it.
    5) stop tightening when the ridgeline just becomes tight itself.

Your hammock should be at a comfortable height for sitting when it is flipped over. It will be a bit low for using the bottom entry, but on exit you will appreciate being able to sit with your feet on the ground while you tie your shoes. Believe it or not, with your hammock hung loose like this, there will be far less stretch, so you will not end up significantly lower in the morning.

Of course, the way I hang my Hennessy works better because it is a top loader with the 2Q/ZQ #2 Bugnet Zipper Mod, and it has rings on the suspension and 'biners on the huggers.

This is probably too many suggestions...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Before I read a lot of HH posts here on HF, I hung my hammock too tight.

Heres how I like to hang my hammock:
    1) find trees that are four paces apart. 13' is ideal.
    2) put the tree huggers on the tree just above head height.
    3) hang the hammock real loose, so that the ridgeline and bugnet lay loose, piled up in the hammock.
    4) tighten the ends a little bit, one at a time, until the ridgeline rises out of the hammock, bringing the bugnet with it.
    5) stop tightening when the ridgeline just becomes tight itself.

I don't break it down like that... but that is essentially how I hang mine. I use my trekking poles extended at arms length to guess the span of trees. If I can barely touch tip to tip it is just about right. I also have the ring buckle suspension on mine and recommend it as a mod almost as important as the zipper mods. I have no need for the zipper mods as a top loader is not useful to me given my mobility impairments. Beyond that I am very happy with my HH explorer UL.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    This is pretty much what I want my suspension to look like once it's all setup:

Basically, I just take the advice on JustJeff's "Staying Dry" page. That's where that photo is from.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag
    I hang my current hammock tie outs at neck level. This works fine for my home made, puts top entry at just below waist level. Havent checked the angle of suspension yet. Cant wait to get the HH and start checking it out. Kinda glad it did not arrive before this weekend cuz Id be out hangin in the snow, and I dont have insulation yet except for my bag & good ole wal mart blue pad.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    This is pretty much what I want my suspension to look like...
    That looks waayy too tight for me!

What size are you, GuyS?

I think a tight suspension is better for a smaller fellow. I'm 6', 225 lbs. If I hang like that, I'll have a bar taught line of hammock cloth cutting across my left calf!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast