Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I'm not much bigger than IAHanger, at 5'10" 150 lbs. I've been experimenting with this a lot lately, and I've found I like the ridgeline to be pretty taut.

I string it up so that the suspension straps and the hammock ridgeline are pretty level (nearly no sag) and then once I've sat in it, the sag is almost just like that photo.

The suspension lines get higher above the tarp lines progressively, as the trees get farther apart. The tarp lines stay at the same level (about shoulder height).

I don't make any claim that this is the right thing to do. It's just what I do.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    I don't make any claim that this is the right thing to do. It's just what I do.
    Of course... it's interesting to try to figure out why some people get better results one way, and others get better results another way.

FishinFinn had his RL about level with his suspension at Mt Rogers, and the tree huggers were pretty low, meaning he got little sag. It was so different, it caught my eye. I never asked him about it, though.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Of course... it's interesting to try to figure out why some people get better results one way, and others get better results another way.

FishinFinn had his RL about level with his suspension at Mt Rogers, and the tree huggers were pretty low, meaning he got little sag. It was so different, it caught my eye. I never asked him about it, though.
    When I tried it with the straps up high with lots of sag, I found that the bug net tended to sag in my face, ridgeline would be really loose, but I could get a totally flat lay. I don't actually want to lay totally flat. I like my feet to be elevated while my back is level. Kind of the partial banana position, I guess. That might be one of the reasons that I can get away with the tighter straps.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I like the RL just a bit tighter than what you describe with your huggers up high. The flat lay, and the elimination of the cut-across-the-calf, are the benefits.

The elevated feet attitude that you prefer is another thing I favor, too. It keeps me from sliding downhill, because I'm already there!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag
    The cinch buckles & biners attachment system, sounds like a good deal, any one have any pics of their system heck throw in prows & cons too.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag
    Sorry, found Just Jeffs post on ring buckles, I have to go to that thread !

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I think that the ring buckle + strap mod is probably the single most useful mod you're going to make to a HH. Just make real sure that you have it just right before you cut any line on your suspension.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag
    Im not sure about cutting the suspension on the HH. Is that necessary to cut for the ring buckle set up ?

Quote Originally Posted by IAhanger View Post
    Im not sure about cutting the suspension on the HH. Is that necessary to cut for the ring buckle set up ?
    No, you don't have to cut it at all. Simply place the rings on one end of your tree huggers and then run the stock cord to the rings and tie off with a garda hitch. I am pretty sure JustJeff's page has a description of this process.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IAhanger View Post
    It is not required... but it does get a little messy with the long straps and the long suspension ropes. I suppose you could run the ropes back to the rings but that shortens your span potential by quite a bit. I finally got fed up with all the spaghetti and chopped the ropes off short. But whatever floats your boat.

My setup has the original ropes making the prussic around the rings a short ways from the hammock. Then the rest of the rope is cut and dressed off cleanly. I like the rings by the hammock so they are under the tarp and I can make all the adjustments from ground level uder cover if need be.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast