Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Karl,

Are you using the buckle as part of your hammock suspension? Are the buckles strong enough? Or are you using a marlinspike hitch on the doubled belt ends without putting any load on the buckle? Inquiring minds want to know.

LostInSpace,

That's a beautiful job on the leather belt, but what I'm interested in is a tree hugger that's safe. Your sewn-in rings look nice and strong. Are you hanging from them rather than the plastic buckle? Could you use two rings instead of a buckle? For the trail I'd leave the nice leather belt at home and use a strap that could double as a tree hugger.

David
    Hellllooo WV! The dee rings are good for a couple thousand pounds and have a swl of about 750lbs if I remember right. Sooo many dee rings, sooo little time

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Yoda, thanks. That's almost exactly what I'm looking for. I say "almost" because this requires two pieces of hardware (aka bling). Can we do lighter and less ostentatious?

My one attempt at a double-purpose lightweight belt uses a plastic buckle, so I limit its use to hanging my pack from a tree. It is also less than satisfactory as a belt because it places a second side-release buckle (although a narrower one) in the vicinity of my pack's hip belt buckle, so I can (and have ) mistakenly unfastened the wrong buckle and dropped trou when trying to take off my pack.

Your welcome

I'm sure there's a way to lighten it up some, maybe cut the webbing to the exact size needed, so all you have to do is hook both ends to the Dutch Clip, thus leaving off the Tri-Glide.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Yoda, thanks. That's almost exactly what I'm looking for. I say "almost" because this requires two pieces of hardware (aka bling). Can we do lighter and less ostentatious?

My one attempt at a double-purpose lightweight belt uses a plastic buckle, so I limit its use to hanging my pack from a tree. It is also less than satisfactory as a belt because it places a second side-release buckle (although a narrower one) in the vicinity of my pack's hip belt buckle, so I can (and have ) mistakenly unfastened the wrong buckle and dropped trou when trying to take off my pack.
    The easiest way to hang your pack is with these. > Http://www.readystrap.com/rst_016.htm

Gear hangers at the bottom of the page.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

To much bling? There is no such thing. Now if only my tree straps/belt looked like this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    To much bling? There is no such thing. Now if only my tree straps/belt looked like this
    You could start a fire with straps like that..

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I hung my hammock one night using a Bison belt to get more length out of my straps. It was a really big tree and my 7" straps wouldn't quite make it. Worked just fine.

I think it's a good idea to have a cinch buckle belt for backup. I had to borrow that belt I used in the emergency and it was a wide one. But one made from 1" webbing would work for me.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I use a riggers belt like this http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CQB...1,800,1384.htm

But I could see making a mod or two to tune it up for camping, hammocking.

Maybe an extra D ring

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    You could start a fire with straps like that..
    It's all about dual purpose gear baby

Belt
    Tree Strap
    Emergency Reflector
    Fire Starter
    Ant burner

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    I use a riggers belt like this http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CQB...1,800,1384.htm

But I could see making a mod or two to tune it up for camping, hammocking.

Maybe an extra D ring
    Those are SWEET! I really like the green one. But I notice they use a cinch buckle and those loosen up if there isn't a constant pressure on them. I have a pair of pance with a built in belt that uses a metal cinch buckle and I never were them because they are always falling down around my knees.
    I do live the idea of the fold out V buckle though. They are quite strong and with a biner hooked to it you could climb and repel with it if you had too, I guess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast