So like I mentioned in my intro, the budget for hammocking is next-to-nothing, being a husband, dad, and student. So that means it's DIY for me (good thing I enjoy it)
So I learned very quickly that even in warm weather, I needed something under me. So I dug out an old microfiber comforter from the dorm days, and went to work.
My thread injecting is really rough, I am just learning, so go easy on me
I started by cutting it down to about 48" in length, and left the width alone. Since it already has some baffles and channels, I didn't have to add anything there. I stitched up the cut, and threaded some shock cord through the 4 edges.
I learned quickly that my shock cord was no match for the weight of the comforter, as it sagged way too low and I couldn't tighten it up enough to get it close to my body. So I switched out the lengthwise shock cord for paracord.
It's on one long continuous piece of 550, so it will adjust and slide easily. I put some cheap carabiners on the ends, and it hooks on the amsteel loops at the end of the gather.
Here it is bunched up at the foot of the hammock. (excuse the mess)
The carabiner hooked on...
And here it is stretched out...
I tried it out in the backyard overnight. It got down to around 50, and I was nice and toasty. I was plenty warm, so I'm pleased! Using the 550 instead of the shockcord brings it up a little closer to my body without crushing the little loft it has.
Hope this gives someone else an idea for cheap, easy project!