New With Many Questions

I want to make my first hammock, and to do so I have many questions.

My ideas:
    I would like a 2 layer hammock, one side olive green, one side something that would blend in with trees with out leaves...(if this is a reasonable idea)

I don't have a walmart that has ripstop ever. so where is the best place for cheapness/quality/service? (online)

I might just have to make 2 tarps, i want one for winter and then summer. but i guess i need to just start with one. I might have to do some hard looking but a winter camo is what i would really like.

Is a single line suspension to complicated for a beginner? and with it do i always have to have the tarp on?

Tree straps... I get it, but don't. Whats the best way to attach the hammock to the tree strap. Whoopie sling and... caribiner, soft shackle?

Suspension, I would like to use 7/64'' Amsteel. Seems popular, and easy to work with. ( making whoopie slings, soft shackles, ect. ) But what color? I really like to look of the silver, but also like the red, blue and orange. Different color for different things?

Probably really confusing to read, but my ideas and thoughts are just as confused as you may be. I am just really looking for thoughts, hints, any kind of help so I can buy something and not think twice about it. I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    Kelty Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    I want to make my first hammock, and to do so I have many questions.

My ideas:
    I would like a 2 layer hammock, one side olive green, one side something that would blend in with trees with out leaves...(if this is a reasonable idea)

Is the only reason for wanting a 2 layer hammock the alternating colour? For a first DIY hammock I would probably recommend a simple gathered end single layer but as long as you have a pattern to follow I say go ahead and use any aesthetic you like.

I don't have a walmart that has ripstop ever. so where is the best place for cheapness/quality/service? (online)

I've never been so lucky either. I ordered a whack of stuff from DIY Gear Supply and was very pleased.

I might just have to make 2 tarps, i want one for winter and then summer. but i guess i need to just start with one. I might have to do some hard looking but a winter camo is what i would really like.

Good idea. Most folks that collect any amount of gear do this as for winter use its nice to have a larger tarp that has "doors" you can close off to shield from the wind. I have never seen winter-camo silnylon but I wish you the best. It would sure look cool.

Is a single line suspension to complicated for a beginner? and with it do i always have to have the tarp on?

I don't recommend a single line setup for a new hammocker. It's not the normal method and while some folks have come up with methods they are happy with, the vast majority of us have independent suspension for tarp and hammock.

Tree straps... I get it, but don't. Whats the best way to attach the hammock to the tree strap. Whoopie sling and... caribiner, soft shackle?

I'm not entirely sure what part you aren't visualizing. The 'default' way would be a marlin spike hitch & toggle in the tree strap onto which you hook your whoopie sling. There are also dutch buckles and probably other methods without getting into different suspensions altogether. Best advice I can give is to watch Shug's Videos. Simply the best resource you will find for these kinds of questions and a dozen more you haven't thought of yet.

Suspension, I would like to use 7/64'' Amsteel. Seems popular, and easy to work with. ( making whoopie slings, soft shackles, ect. ) But what color? I really like to look of the silver, but also like the red, blue and orange. Different color for different things?

So use 7/64th Amsteel. I do. Pick the colour you feel like using. My dad likes silver, I like orange. The actual colour is of zero consequence, the product is just called "Amsteel Blue" regardless of colour.

Probably really confusing to read, but my ideas and thoughts are just as confused as you may be. I am just really looking for thoughts, hints, any kind of help so I can buy something and not think twice about it. I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

Trust me I get it. The whole thing was WAY overwhelming to me at first. Watch Shug, pick a method to hang and learn it, and if you get frustrated, remember we hammock to relax
    Comments in bold to each of your thoughts/queries.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Considering you are in Marion I would check out Jo Anns or Hancock fabrics, Jo Anns usually has some Rip Stop types back in the Utility Fabrics. Also several online vendors you can choose as well.

Also just be careful if you want to hang in city or county parks as it is illegal per the DNR unless you bring a hammock stand and no attaching to trees. Though some don't care it does open you up for the overly tight Park Rangers and DNR as they do as the books say.

I'm over in Dubuque now but lived in Marion and CR for way too long.

Hammock
    Thunderbird BB XLC- Bridge-NX -250
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Diy/AHE/Spear
    Suspension
    Readystrap/buckles
    Images
    As far as being new and looking for a set up that is easy,you can go to dutchware .com and he sells complete setups with the whoopies tree straps and all, he has complete set up packages at a reasonable price and is a member here,You can look up Dutch and send him a message and i am sure he would get you set up with everything you need to get started.
    You may just be surprised at the helpfulness and level of customer service!

My goal is to get a decent set up with in 100$ is that too crazy?
    My problem will be getting rips top that won't blow my wallet to bad

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    My goal is to get a decent set up with in 100$ is that too crazy?
    My problem will be getting rips top that won't blow my wallet to bad
    For a $100 I would start with:

DIY Table Cloth Hammock gathered and knoted
    Choice of suspension whoopies, cinch buckle etc
    Adjustable ridgeline to play with and find the sweet spot.
    Poncho Liner UQ DIY
    Poly Tarp from Harbor Freight
    Grab some cheap mini biners and lash it or zing it for you tarp ridgeline and guy lines
    Coughlands aluminum stake from either Dicks Sport Goods or wally mart.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL tadpole
    Insulation
    Leigh lo & WL TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna glide Woopie
    DIY gear supply for nylon for sure!
    "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
    -Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL tadpole
    Insulation
    Leigh lo & WL TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna glide Woopie
    As far as tree strap go IMHO I would say the easiest way would be marlin spike hitch with woopie slings or ucr. Super easy to adjust and easy to tie.
    "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
    -Steve Prefontaine