Images

Super shelter on a deep jungle?

Hello. I'm a new guy from Ga and just switched to a hammock. Loving it so far! One question though... Has anyone run a super shelter on their deep jungle Xl? I am changing from an explorer Xl to a deep jungle xl and hope I can still use my super shelter (either with or without the radiant bubble pad).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Hello. I'm a new guy from Ga and just switched to a hammock. Loving it so far! One question though... Has anyone run a super shelter on their deep jungle Xl? I am changing from an explorer Xl to a deep jungle xl and hope I can still use my super shelter (either with or without the radiant bubble pad).
    I don't remember any problems using my HHSS#2 on a DJXL. The hammock dimensions listed by HH are identical for all Explorers and DJ Xls. But, a caution: I have found you can not always go by these dimensions to figure out the size of an HH hammock, because the listed length is actually the ridge line length, not the length of the hammock fabric. For Example, the Safari is MUCH bigger than the Explorer, but the Explorer is listed as 108" long and the Safari specs only claim 4" longer at 112". So what you find in real life is that because the Safari is actually a lot longer than the Explorer, the Safari hammock body hangs way down below the ridge line compared to any other HHs.

So, the DJXL and Explorer are called the same length and width by HH. But if memory serves, I found the DJXL was slightly lower below it's RL than my Explorer ULs. But I don't think it seemed to cause any problems, though it seemed maybe slightly more snug. I think HH cautioned against using the combo, but that mainly concerned the optional top cover(TC) especially with the side zip. Still, by being careful I was able to use the TC with no issues. But if I was using this combo all the time, I would rig up some sort of means of lifting the TC out of the way and easilt reconnecting it as I got in and out of the side entry hammock.

If I had any concerns about the UC and pad being too tight, I would just leave the zipper side of the UC and pad loops free, not running the hammock line through them. Or maybe, like with the TC, rig up a different connection method. But it works fine when I just leave it free and pull it into place on my shoulder.

You can also use the bubble pad with the HHSS no problem. The only question is whether or not the bubble pad is able to replace the recommended space blanket which serves as a vapor barrier and a reflector. I don't know if the bubble pad does all of that as well as the super flexible, cheap and light space blanket, but it would add it's own amount of insulation. A good question to ask HH by phone.

I would also call HH and get their official view on this and how using these two together might effect warranties.

Hope that helps.

Images
    Thanks for the reply. I talked to HH today. Interesting call. It was as if they never thought of putting the two together. It may have just been the person I talked to. They said, "the DJ is really a three season hammock and the super shelter is designed to make a 4 season out of the single layer hammocks." "I guess you could use them together. They should fit no problem."

I asked about putting the bubble pad in the hammock (between the layers) then putting the supershelter on to add extra insulation. Again, they seemed to have never been asked that before. I found that curious. Surely I'm not the only one to want to try this. They did say that I might have to watch out for moisture build up. But, if moisture isn't a problem with the space blanket on top of the susper shelter pad, then I wouldn't think the bubblepad would be any different.

Admittedly though, I am a total newby at all of this so I could be totally wrong! We will find out as soon as my Deep Jungle arrives!

A lot of ideas seem to be meshed in the above replies. Where to even start?

Don't look at the differences between the Hennessy models only by the length of the ridgeline. The bodies are deeper and wider as one goes through the sizes. However, the Deep Jungle XL IS cut to be the same size as the Explorer models.

The radiant pad used with the Deep Jungles are stiff and may interfere somewhat with the insulation effectiveness of the Undercover. Consider that the side pull-outs are integral to making that system work optimally. That stretchy open-cell foam is designed to snug up against the underside of the hammock and follow the user's movements. It is strung on elastic cords both lengthwise and sideways for this reason. A space blanket is very flexible, so will work with the open-cell foam, but the stiff bubble pad may not. The whole picture is not considered in the previous responses. I'm not saying the two systems can not be made to work, just this won't be optimal. I might consider adding super thin closed-cell foam, such as a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad to the bubble pad for more warmth or instead of the radiant pad with the Undercover set up added. I haven't tried these together, but have used each system. I also help Tom at Trail Days and have not heard him recommend combining the systems yet. Do be careful not to make the insulation too thick between the Deep Jungle bottom layers. It is designed for the two pieces of fabric to hold the user's weight. If the insulation is too thick between them, all the weight is on the bottom layer. The fabric is only 30 denier, reinforced with a Spectra grid.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Images
    That makes sense. I'll experiment with each when I get it here. What i think i am hearing is that i will likely want to use either the bubble pad or the super shelter depending on the conditions, but probably not both at the same time.

But, that the super shelter should work fine on the deep jungle Xl (in its stock configuration) (which was actually my original question).

Looks like ill be doing some camping (for research only, of course)

Thank u for the help everyone.

• + New Posts