HikingDad Ninja
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY P. TACO
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Top Under Quilt??

I'm a DIYer that is pretty new to the game and I was hoping to get some info on UQs.

I ran across a children's sleeping bag (not youth, it's only about 4' long) at goodwill for super cheap. I thought it would work great as an UQ because the dimensions are perfect for my hammock when it's unzipped. I was camping in the backyard and didn't have a sewing machine at the time so I just laid on top of it for the night. I was so comfortable! I ended up getting some velcro to keep it in place so it wasn't sliding all over the place, but the adhesive came loose after a few nights. I'm thinking of sewing the velcro in place, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else do this?

Will it compromise my overall warmth because it's under my weight? Is there any other way I can keep it from sliding around on me other than sewing the velcro because I'm not sure it will be strong enough. Thanks guys!!

It would work better if you could suspend the bag under the hammock, give you a greater temperature range. Attaching shock cord to the for corners and running them to the ends of the hammock would be simple way to do this.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by VineyGirl View Post
    Is there any other way I can keep it from sliding around on me other than sewing the velcro because I'm not sure it will be strong enough. Thanks guys!!
    If you are lying on the sleeping bag and roll/twist, the bag is going to want to move with you (I find that with the thickness of the bag, it gets a bit 'grippy'...). I don't think you will control the sleeping bag movement with a few pieces of velcro - or worse, you could tear your hammock.

I agree that putting the bag under the hammock would work better. You could try Velcro on the outside if you wanted (sewn- I've never found the adhesive Velcro to be much use over time, even on smooth hard surfaces.) Most of the UQs seem to use drawcord & shockcord to attach - I think it makes it easier to pull the ends tight to the hammock. (I'm using a pad for now...)

Good, creative use of improvised UQ, though....

Images
    You'll find that quilts ability to keep you warm will quickly diminish once compressed. It will keep you warmer if it's snugly suspended from your hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    What is your goal? Are you wanting to camp in MN in the middle of January, or are you camping April to October?

The type of Underquilt you would need will depend on the answer. A light bag similar to the one you're talking about would do well in the warmer months. Sew a channel on both ends and down the sides. Take about 20 feet of shock cord and run it through the side channels and tie the ends together, or run the loose ends through a cord lock, making a loop about 12 feet long. Clip a lightweight carabiner to each end of the loop. Run a single piece of shock cord through the channel on each end and add a cord lock to each end of the cords.

Clip one carabiner to each end of your hammock, then pull on the ends of the cords running through the ends to cinch them up so that when you get in hammock the quilt is tight against the bottom at the ends.

This will hang the quilt beneath the hammock so that the insulation is not compressed, allowing it to do its job of retaining your body heat to keep you warm.

The same thing can be done with military poncho liners, quilts for twin or full sized beds, and heavier sleeping bags.

Here's a simple UQ Project that is only a bit more complex, but will make an even better Underquilt, and might give you a better idea of what is required:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=23881

Hammock
    HikingDad Ninja
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY P. TACO
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks guys really appreciate it. I'll be mostly spring, summer, fall camping. I will probably end up hanging it under like Sargevining explained. Thanks alot.

P.S. My father-in-law's name is Sgt. Viney. weird.