DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / straps

Cool My first hang: Stephen F Austin State Park - Texas

Hey folks, a friend got me interested in hammocking a few months back and while I wait for the $$$ equipment to roll in the door, I thought I'd get a little practice in with what was easily available. So I grabbed a Yukon Outfitters Mosquito Hammock on WOOT.COM one day for $25 and a Tad Pole tarp from Wilderness Logics . I had lots of paracord laying around the house, but I ordered a set of self tensioning lines from Jacks 'R' Better for the Tad Pole.

Some friends were RV'ing at a state park just a half hour away from home, so the wife and I scooted over there on Saturday afternoon and I had the perfect excuse to try my first hang. I put up the hammock as per YouTube videos I'd meticulously studied, and then hung the tarp. All in all I was happy with the outcome. The hammock hung down to about 2 feet above the ground when I sat in it, and that was fine by me.

So bedtime rolls around and while everybody else retires to the air conditioned RV, I maneuvered myself into the hammock. For those of you unaware, Texas gets hot in the summer. Yes, I'm sure that's a shock. We also get plagued with mosquitos, although our lack of rain recently has cut way down on that sort of thing. So as I make myself at home in my new hammock, I'm pretty quickly aware that this would be MUCH more fun in cooler months. But I finally get situated and doze off. Success!!!

Then about 4am rolls around and Mother Nature calls, and as I return to sit in the hammock I get off-balance a bit and lay down rather hard in its gossamer confines. And that's when the fun starts. BAM goes one support line and my butt hits the ground. I start to giggle at the absurdity of it, and the fact that I can't exactly go run into the RV at 4am to tell my friends 'hey you won't believe what just happened'. So by the light of my little Photon keychain flashlight I try to assess the damage. It later turns out that the Yukon simply runs a rope through the end seam and ties a knot in the end, and my weighty arrival forced the knot all the way through the seam... probably easily repairable. Unfortunately the attached mosquito netting was torn down from its paracord hangers, which ripped out 3 of the 6 stays leaving some gaping holes in the netting. Once again, probably fixable with some needle/thread and I still have 3 stays to hang it from.

So I try lying inside my failed hammock, atop my Therm A Rest pad for about a half hour before the sound of little woodland creatures freaks me out enough to move to a couple of lawn chairs leftover from last night's BBQ. An hour or two later when others stirred, I was the butt of endless jokes, which was fine by me as long as it came with breakfast.

All in all, even with THE EVENT, I had a really good time. I learned a lot and will improve with practice. Hang on folks, hang on!

Last edited by wdavis111; 09-09-2013 at 07:42.
    Walter Davis
    Katy, TX

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Welcome to the hammock family and good on you to keep a great attitude about your first experience!! I found when first starting out it was the adventure of learning a new way to stay outside. You will get it down in no time. Thanks for the report and Hang On!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Good job

Good job.

I still learn something new every trip.

Mostly about the ground I'm covering......but every once in a while a little thing that makes my life a little more comfortable in the woods.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    lolol Walter! Great report. The setup looks pretty good until you hit the ground. And how many bottles of wine were involved with this hang....inquiring minds want to know. Hope we can get out and do a hang when the weather cools off a bit.

Linda
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who crave closure

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Ouch! I feel your pain. Actually, have felt it too. One more reason to never hang higher than you're willing to fall.

You do get extra points for thick skin and sense of humor.

Hang in there! (in all ways)
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thanks for sharing, glad to see that the fall hasn't turned you away from hanging =]

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Yeah, I second the motion. How is one suppose to appreciate "the hang" without experience "the fall" @ least once?
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    DIY 30D 11.5ft Gathered End
    Tarp
    Banana trees
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    WhoopieHookStraps
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    One more reason to never hang higher than you're willing to fall.
    Ain't that the truth!

Way to be a good sport about your first fall.... Suspension is essentially the most important aspect of hammocking and, this time, resulted in a grave learning experience for your bum!
    Woke up this morning, and I had those Walking Blues....

I wanna live beneath the dirt, where I'd be free from push and shove like all those swarming up above

~Trey Anastasio

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / straps

Cool Quick fix!!

It turns out that if I'd done a bit more Hammock Forums reading prior to my hang, I'd have found a quick fix for the Yukon suspension problem with just some Amsteel that I have here at home. Another win for HF!!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...33&postcount=5
    Walter Davis
    Katy, TX

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Welcome to the hammock family and good on you to keep a great attitude about your first experience!! I found when first starting out it was the adventure of learning a new way to stay outside. You will get it down in no time. Thanks for the report and Hang On!!
    +1 ^ way to laugh at the situation. We'll just chalk this one up to "experience". When you give it another go, let us know how things shake out!

• + New Posts