Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images

DIY Challenge!! DBL hammock.

After spending 4 nights hammocking with my wife at lake Umbagog, i think i need a different type of hammock for when we both go together.

I have seen the use of a spreader bar and 2 hammocks side by side, which is very close to what i want, but i think it could be much better.

So heres what I think I need.

2 Hammocks 10.5 feet long with permanently attached spreader bars and with permanently attached fabric filling in the void from where the two hammocks touch in the middle, all the way to the spreader bars. (this could be used for gear storage?)

1 Mosquito net that can be zipped off fully but covers both hammocks and zippers along below the spreader bars also. Basically just attached on outside perimeter of dbl hammock.

Each side of hammock will have a ridge line, for keeping netting off face and small organizer.

Now the best part....

I have no DIY skills. or the time to spend a year or 3 acquiring the skills/ tools to make this happen.

So i would like to put it out there to someone with some accomplished skills, Whereby if i supplied the materials then someone could supply the time/ skill.

I'll supply enough material to make 2 units. One for me and one for the maker.

So if anyone is interested lets talk!!
    I wouldn't mind hearing what people think the budget would be, also any possible alternative ideas. Or if you just think this will fail miserably.
    All comments welcome. Even the naysayers!!

Matt.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Although it's not exactly what you want, have you considered just buying a Clark Vertex hammock?

BTW, whenever somebody asks about 'hiring' me to do a 'DIY' project for them, I suggest we start the discussion with the amount they earn per hour in their 'real job'- before taxes. Then, we multiply that number by the time it will take me to build their project to the quality level they expect. Commercial products start to look good in a hurry in that scenario!

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Although it's not exactly what you want, have you considered just buying a Clark Vertex hammock?

BTW, whenever somebody asks about 'hiring' me to do a 'DIY' project for them, I suggest we start the discussion with the amount they earn per hour in their 'real job'- before taxes. Then, we multiply that number by the time it will take me to build their project to the quality level they expect. Commercial products start to look good in a hurry in that scenario!

Just looked at the Vertex after seeing your post. It looks interesting, but at $600 my interest wains. But the concept is close to what i am looking for.
    Also its more fabric/ overkill than i want/ need.

As for hiring someone for a DIY project, i was thinking more along the lines of someone that would be interested in making one for themselves and that my offer to supply all the materials needed would balance out the cost of the persons time.
    I agree that hiring someone to make you something can end up close to costing almost the same as what a "commercial" product would cost off the shelf. Sometimes even more. Especially if looking for something custom or one of a kind. Using untested templates etc.

After doing a guestimate at the materials required to make each unit, i came out to about $240 for each hammock. so 2 would be almost $500, i base this on the higher cost of products too, but you are right about how the retail products look more attractive after the numbers have been crunched.
    But maybe it can be done for less.

Matt.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Here's a video that might help get some ideas flowing. It highlights the spreader bars, but the end of the video shows a "big picture" of the setup. I happen to have socks on both hammocks in this video.

I've had similar thoughts to yours towards truer double hammock, but Occam's Razor keeps whittling it down to what is shown in the video. One of my criteria has always been weight, hence the simplicity.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Someone else has already done this in the past...I will try and locate the thread for you to help in your design.

Edit: Here it is...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8900

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Here's a video that might help get some ideas flowing. It highlights the spreader bars, but the end of the video shows a "big picture" of the setup. I happen to have socks on both hammocks in this video.

I've had similar thoughts to yours towards truer double hammock, but Occam's Razor keeps whittling it down to what is shown in the video. One of my criteria has always been weight, hence the simplicity.

Thanks, nice simple spreader bars. The post below from Xtrekker seems to cover some of the pitfalls with the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Someone else has already done this in the past...I will try and locate the thread for you to help in your design.

Edit: Here it is...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8900
    Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Amazing how things get complicated when you start adding things like Physics to the equation!!
    Definitely getting my brain working though.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    dblhmmck did it.........https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6780
    Carry forth
    Shug[
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    dblhmmck did it.........https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6780
    Carry forth
    Shug[
    Love it!! just need a bugnet. Always a bug net!!

Its a little different design than what i was thinking. This one seems simpler and lighter.
    Looks like they went through the process and ended up using 3 trees for a good reason.

thanks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbnow View Post
    Love it!! just need a bugnet. Always a bug net!!

Its a little different design than what i was thinking. This one seems simpler and lighter.
    Looks like they went through the process and ended up using 3 trees for a good reason.

thanks.
    This is what I did for a bug-net on my Grizz Bridge......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=41034
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    This is what I did for a bug-net on my Grizz Bridge......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=41034
    Shug
    thanks, nice and simple.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast