Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I'm getting pretty tied of planning a hike that we never do. The first year was pulks flipping over on the AT. The second year was deep snow again but stayed at RHK. The last one a sneaky cold finish. I'd like to actually make it to RHK and Overmountain with a finish on the Overmountain Victory Trail in time for breakfast at Bob's Dairyland.
    I'll second the breakfast at Bob's Dairyland.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I'll second the breakfast at Bob's Dairyland.
    You gotta admit, warm biscuits and gravy will beat whatever you want to rehydrate in camp.
    Last edited by wisenber; 12-07-2013 at 10:00.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Someone PM'd about snowshoes, after seeing Walter and Roches Navigators I think they'd substitute for snowshoes they have so much flotation.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Someone PM'd about snowshoes, after seeing Walter and Roches Navigators I think they'd substitute for snowshoes they have so much flotation.
    I've used them in a bit over 3 feet of snow. They do reduce postholing, but they do not completely displace snowshoes.
    Last edited by wisenber; 12-08-2013 at 11:08.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Been eyeing some neos myself. Any recommendation on which type might be preferable?
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    Been eyeing some neos myself. Any recommendation on which type might be preferable?
    I had these…….real nice.
    http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/Produc...RSHOE&pid=N5P3
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I was using these yesterday in about 12 inches of white powder fresh snow stalking and hunting deer with Muzzleloader in steep ravine hill country of elevations up to about 900' in southern Indiana with inclines of 60 degrees or more in places for about 3 miles. What a workout as not getting any younger. I do not envy your point man on your hike and backpack on this trip if you have lots of snow as its a total workout on the cardo vascular system. Had the Neos 5's on over a pair of high top Merril hikers that are lined with gortex and one pair of normal summer smart wool socks and was toast all day. Sat in a couple of places for a couple of hrs also below my tree stands as couldn't get in them do to icing prior to snow storm that hit us. Was hunting big bucks as passed up 11 does during the day. It was my first good workout of the Neos bushwacking those 3 miles and about 9hrs of hunting and am totally impressed and very very happy with them as I gave them a beating thru green briars and such. Feet were alittle sweaty and would see the need to dry out shoe liners and change socks especially before hitting the hammock or even sitting at nite around a fire during the cool down period as I was also wearing insulated Ranger Camo bibs and coat with a couple of layers under them of mid weight insulation of which first layer was med. silks top and bottom. Nothing else as didn't want to get too sweaty moving very slow stalking. Grip on the stalking with the ground covered with heavy slick oak leaves with about 12" of powder was impressive also of the sole especially at the inclines I was climbing in the snow. One other thing,,,I was taking the wife to work other nite during the full blown storm in 4 x 4 ford Ranger truck, and was wearing these and could even comfortably drive the truck with the Neos 5's on...just have to get used to wearing them is all and they are definitely not as heavy even with the shoes on as my heavy weight sorels and other 1000 gram insulated hunting boots with gators that I have worn before. There is a bit of weight savings depending on what you have been wearing in the past. Hope this review helps a bit with those thinking of cold weather gear.

http://www.overshoesonline.com/n5p3/...FYlaMgodoGwA2A

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Shug and Acer, many thanks for the suggestions, and Shug, I'll second MM that it would be be great to have you along. I already did pork brains with HB at Hot Springs but I'd pay to see MM fight down a forkful. Nasty in a can for sure!
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Just got in a couple hrs ago, from wearing the Neos 5's with the gator up to the knee extended today as I was in powdered fluffy snow that was way above the boot itself and had to wear the gators extended all the way for the first time. And really liked them even more this way as they really kept the legs warm and toasty. It was overcast, 30 for the high and drizzle at times this evening with light snow earlier in the day. The more I wear the Nav. 5's the more I appreciate having them as well as the various couple of diff. ways you can wear them. I have a couple of hunting friends that are now ordering them to hunt in.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'm in with the Herman Munster Club-that from a post from cataraftgirl describing the Navigators. Poof is in the club too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast