WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!

Temperature rating combinations on TQ/UQ

I am the market for a TQ, which will be my first. What I am wondering is if you guys like to match ratings on your TQ and UQ. For instance if I have a 0 degree UQ, and a 20 degree TQ what can I expect to get down to? My concern is that I will likely be down in the 20 degree range, and may possibly get down in the single digits, but I would also like to use the TQ in the 40-50 degree range. Anything above 60 I really won't need a quilt at all.

I know that it would be best to have different quilts for different temps. but at the prices I can't justify buying more than 1 or 2 a year. So in short should I get a 0 degree TQ, and then a 40 degree TQ. Or should I get a 20 degree TQ and try to use it for 3 season use. Suggestions? I currently have a 0 degree UQ if that makes a bit of difference.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    How about a 20* TQ for 3S starter, then a 40*TQ or 50*TQ added for some summer fun and lighten the load. Once you have the two you can interlock the footbox creating your winter TQ with a nested system. If you know you'll be doing a fair amount of cold weather camping and weight is an issue at some point you will want to invest in dedicated 0* TQ.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Actually, I like this question, and look forward to seeing more responses to it.

I started out with a UQ that was vendor rated to 15F...and added two ozs of down to it.

I later did the same with a TQ from the same vendor.

Now, personally I'm thinking that I can use that UQ pretty much up to the point where I don't want a UQ under me at all. For ME, under insulation tends to be an all or nothing thing most of the time. I either want it, and want it warm, or I don't want it at all.

My TQ is likely to be used for fall/spring/winter camping, in pretty much any temps below 40F at night. I'm seriously considering another purchase at some point for a summer rated TQ for temps above that, but would likely keep using the same UQ year round.

I think this is inline with your question, and I'm curious if this is likely to work for me or not?

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    How about a 20* TQ for 3S starter, then a 40*TQ or 50*TQ added for some summer fun and lighten the load. Once you have the two you can interlock the footbox creating your winter TQ with a nested system. If you know you'll be doing a fair amount of cold weather camping and weight is an issue at some point you will want to invest in dedicated 0* TQ.
    What is recommended when layering quilts for colder than rated temps? Higher loft i.e. the 20* on the outside (top layer) vice-versa or does it matter?
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've got a 0* incubator and a 20* top quilt. It works well through the coldest Texas has to offer.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    What is recommended when layering quilts for colder than rated temps? Higher loft i.e. the 20* on the outside (top layer) vice-versa or does it matter?
    Personally, I would (and am planning to, with my DIY insulation) place the higher loft on the outside. That way, if there is any compression occurring on your insulation, it's on the least-critical portion of it. Anyway, that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it!

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Senior Member Awkward Sportsman's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!

Temperature rating combinations on TQ/UQ

I like the idea of layering. I hadn't though of that as an option. I would assum you would want one bag slightly latger than the other.

I too think that my UQ will be an all or nothing thing, but I am not sure. I have only ever slept with a sleeping bag, which I always got into, so this has offered some bottom insulation. I've never slept in just the hammock alone excelt for a few night where the lows were in the 70s

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Generally speaking, you want you're UQ rated lower than your top quilt, if you're going to stagger. Aka, you MAY be ok with a 0*F UQ and 20*TQ down to 0*F,if you wear appropriate clothing, use a sock or over cover, have doors on your tarps, or whatever it takes for you to get there.

If you can only budget for 1 set of high priced down stuff (I def understand, and it's partly why I DIY), I'd get what you need for the lowest temp you expect to camp in. There are much easier solutions to higher temp gear - like UQ's and TQ's from poncho liners - that wont brake the bank.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Higher loft on outside layer is the way I prefer to do it, I use 55X78 TQ's and find the extra width helps them tuck in better when stacked. Placing the lighter TQ inside allows for the combined foot box to loft better. Works well and keeps a light weight quilt in you kit for summer use....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Personally, I would (and am planning to, with my DIY insulation) place the higher loft on the outside. That way, if there is any compression occurring on your insulation, it's on the least-critical portion of it. Anyway, that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it!

Hope it helps!
    Higher loft on outside layer is the way I prefer to do it, I use 55X78 TQ's and find the extra width helps them tuck in better when stacked. Placing the lighter TQ inside allows for the combined foot box to loft better. Works well and keeps a light weight quilt in you kit for summer use....
    Makes sense to me!
    John aka Suede

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast