Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    This is the EXACT question I was about to ask! Keep the answers coming. I'm looking at a TQ in the next couple of weeks and since I jsut took delivery of a 20* Greylock 3, I too was wondering if I should go with a higher temp rated TQ, or one of the same rating. For me here in TX, (and I was very happy to hear from a fellow Texan) in summer, I'd only need a sheet for mostly modesty. OUr average lows south of the Panhandle are in the 80s. But, once the temps start to drop about December/January into the 30s (and lower at times) I probably won't be hanging. I really don't intend to use them in less than 20* weather.

So! keep those replies coming! Mix or match?
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    If you go with a higher rating you can always vent it in warmer weather.20/20 works from 10 degrees so far,and then up to the point of not needing it
    I have been glad it was there on several mornings now.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you had to,,you can even combine, a UQ with a TQ for layering either on the bottom or the top..all you have to do, is alittle jury rigging when using the 2 as a UQ, and for TQ, layer with the one with the most loft on the outside.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    This is the EXACT question I was about to ask! Keep the answers coming. I'm looking at a TQ in the next couple of weeks and since I jsut took delivery of a 20* Greylock 3, I too was wondering if I should go with a higher temp rated TQ, or one of the same rating. For me here in TX, (and I was very happy to hear from a fellow Texan) in summer, I'd only need a sheet for mostly modesty. OUr average lows south of the Panhandle are in the 80s. But, once the temps start to drop about December/January into the 30s (and lower at times) I probably won't be hanging. I really don't intend to use them in less than 20* weather.

So! keep those replies coming! Mix or match?
    Here's my plan. I'm in Central KY, and don't plan to go out in temps much below freezing. I mostly visit Red River Gorge. Fortunately, it's still possible to camp year round here with that requirement - just not consistently.

I already have a 20*F 600 fill down bag. I've also made a sewn PLUQ (2 layers of PL material) and a PLTQ (1 layer of PL material).

I am in the process of making a 850 fill down UQ with a target of 20*F comfort rating. This is a dedicated, shaped UQ.

I will then make a rectangular, differential cut, 850 fill down TQ with a target comfort rating of 40*F. The TQ will be designed to double as an UQ.

My experience has been, if you have enough under insulation, you don't need as much top insulation. I'm hoping my 20*F/40*F combo will get me close to 30*F comfortably. But I wont know until I try, and I have a 20*F bag I can fall back on right now, or augment with the PLTQ. I'll probably take this combination up to 60*F-65*F.

For higher temps, the TQ will take on UQ duty, and I will use my PLTQ for top insulation. I've already used my PLUQ and PLTQ down to 60 and been comfortable (starts getting cool around 60), so with better under insulation this should be great.

For colder temps, I can also augment with the PLTQ/UQ, or even use both down quilts at UQ's.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I've got a 0* incubator and a 20* top quilt. It works well through the coldest Texas has to offer.
    I have the same combo and have only had one opportunity to test it in below freezing temps and also found it a worthy combination.

I would argue the UQ should be the lower rated since you can wear layers to decrease your top heat loss, but compression will make any worn insulation mostly worthless for bottom insulation, where a UQ will always maintain its loft.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba & HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like I need a 0* UQ. Now ... which one??
    Last edited by Mofrid; 10-05-2013 at 22:21.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofrid View Post
    Sounds like I need a 0* UQ. Now ... which one??
    the eternal question, so many good options out there!

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads

Temperature rating combinations on TQ/UQ

When I bought my first TQ/UQ set I spoke with Adam at Hammock Gear. He was a great resource and his line of questioning set my mind. Here is where he took me.

He asked what is the lowest you will go out in? Specifically asking, "if you have a tripped planned and then the forecast says it will have a low of xx* will you say, "too cold, trip postponed."" At the time my answer was 30*. What he recommended was a 30* UQ and a 40* TQ for many of the reasons listed above. I have used this set to as low as 25* and been fine. I live near the Adirondacks in NY and have found this to be a versatile combo.

Now, my interest is expanding to a bit of winter camping. If I follow the same line of questioning, the answer is 0* and I will postpone. My initial plan is a 0* UQ and a 10* TQ set. If performance is the same, I will have a set from -5*ish to 20*ish and then my other set starting at 25* and up. BTW, all temps are Fahrenheit.

For what it is worth, I have found "venting" my UQ not to be practical. I set up, adjust, lay down for the night and live with the result. Usually I slide my UQ to the left or right to cool down when it is too warm.

In fairness though, I will be speaking to Adam prior to any purchase to validate.

I hope my ramble helped...if anything, talk to Adam.

1 2 try something
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12