SBPro/Speer DIY
    Tarp
    8x10 shiny green
    Insulation
    ThermoRest
    Images

First Ever Hang Test!

...and boyo is it obvious in the video!

That's my daughter Elyse looking on; in her 10 months of life, I'm sure she's never seen something so strange. I still say the SBPro looks like a ufo...

I hung from two privacy fence posts in the backyard, just because the rain has stopped, it was a balmy 65F out, and I hadn't tested it yet. All went well; only complaint is the standard netting cord that came with it is a bit short for anything other than an ideal hang. This was far from ideal - once loaded in, my arse was on the ground!

Coincidentally, it's a strange feeling - putting your trust in some nylon and webbing for the first time ever. I sure was comfy though, even in a hang that wasn't really hangin'.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    congrats on a first hang. great that you included the family, just watch out my kids all want their own now the first time I hung mine, it wasn't much farther off the ground than yours. Like you say it's weird trusting nylon and webbing the first time. You might want to reenforce that post on your fence if you plan to continue using it. It was wiggling pretty good every time you moved. Again congrats, and welcome to the hangin' life
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    ok, I've gotta admit, I don't feel so bad now. the first time I hung mine out in the back yard, my little rat terrier jumped inside with me and my big dog just stuck his head in and looked around to see what I was up to!!* And yes, I was just about sitting on the ground too.Great video, hope you keep a copy to show your daughter "her" first experience with a hammock!!!

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Good to hear that your first hang was a good one. It is a funny feeling watching the webbing go taut the first time and running all the possibilites through your head
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    SBPro/Speer DIY
    Tarp
    8x10 shiny green
    Insulation
    ThermoRest
    Images
    LoL @ this every time I watch it now... it makes me feel like I'm turning into my dad.

You can bet I'll be showing this to Elyse when she's older; the 5 year old daughter already declared she 'wanted a hammock like that one'. Oh boy...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    When I first got the HH Safari I strung it up in the basement from two floor supports. I went to sit down and just simply couldn't force myself to do it. I was absolutely sure the hammock was going to rip or the floor supports were going to pull out (with a three story house resting on them no less.) I had to get my teenage daughter climb in first. (Of course I needed to "watch the supports" and all.) It still took me a long time to just climb in and settle down. Now my first sit of each hang is a tester. After that It's in and squirm to get the covers set and then I settle right down.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Ok - I admit it - I sent my Wife into my hammock first. When she didn't fall, I tested my luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    When I first got the HH Safari I strung it up in the basement from two floor supports. I went to sit down and just simply couldn't force myself to do it. I was absolutely sure the hammock was going to rip or the floor supports were going to pull out (with a three story house resting on them no less.) I had to get my teenage daughter climb in first. (Of course I needed to "watch the supports" and all.) It still took me a long time to just climb in and settle down. Now my first sit of each hang is a tester. After that It's in and squirm to get the covers set and then I settle right down.

• + New Posts