Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I need a pillow to put under my knees or between my knees depending on if I am on my side or my back. I can't do the side position well in the Clark I cramp in my hip from the bend it puts in me like that, but I do quite well in the 1/2-side, 1/2-back position between those two. Hard to explain properly but pretty comfy. I can usually sleep pretty well on my back too if I use my spare clothes in a stuff sack as a pillow under my knees.

I also do better with the Exped mats under me. I can't sleep well in the bare fabric so underquilts will not work for me. I plan to give the Warbonnett a try next season. It's tough because I love the features on the Clark but it is not recognized as the most comfortable hammock out there.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    Golfer,
    I am 5' 7" and (cough, cough) 186 lbs.
    Being that short, I didn't think I would have a problem with the Clark.
    I love the extra pockets on the side, and it is a sweet design.
    I'm just wondering if I am doing my setup wrong, and also, what extra touches on the hook ups you guys would suggest for quick setup and break down I could add to the basic Clark lines?
    Lyndon

For suspension, the simplest, and best mod I have made was to add an SMC Descending Ring on the rope. To keep it simple I just put it in place and wrap the rope through it 3 times. I then use my tree straps as I normally would and I run the rope through the straps and back through the ring and then tighten it by pulling the line through that ring back towards the tree. When I reach the desired position I pull it a few inches further and tie a half-hitch around the two lines on the tree side of the SMC ring. This locks the lines in place. I didn't cut anything to make it work. The rings can be moved with ease. And it added about 1oz to the hammock weight.

You can see it in this picture:

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl & Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD & Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    Similar problem here, leg cramps (knee surgery (bicycle miss-hap)).
    Never tried a Clark. I am 5-10, 185 and the Claytor Expedition works for me.
    The bug net is sewn fast down one side but zips full hammock length from either end on the other side. A string attached to the foot-end zipper allows quick exit.
    Bed or hammock, I can almost eliminate leg cramp by placing a rolled towel under my knee.
    Travels with Samantha

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    depending on where you are located but see if you can get to a group gathering and try out the HH or the BB . Looks like you'll be a perfect fit for either one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have just recently gotten my hands on a couple of Clarks and I understand what you mean about the 'wrapping'. It (NorthAmerican) feels like a smaller hammock than it is. It took me a couple of nights to get comfortable. The NX200 is a bit better in that regard. Of course, it may just be a result of me being so used to the roominess of the Blackbird. It may be that I've just become spoiled. I don't seem to mind.
    Trust nobody!

Cannibal,
    After reading your posts, I don't know if there is a hammock made that you won't eventually crawl into and start the sleep snore serenade!

Is there a specific Clark thread in the forums where people have been doing tweaks to the ropes, etc. for faster put up and break downs? A link would be good.

I like the look of the buckles and 'biners that the innovative guys on this site have been using.
    And I saw that group buy. If anybody has material left over, I wouldn't mind picking up some of that to dabble with a diy tarp attempt.
    Lyndon

Photomankc said:
    I can't do the side position well in the Clark I cramp in my hip from the bend it puts in me like that
    Very Much true for me as well. I will work on your ideas you suggested in your second post this coming weekend.
    Wish there was a group, but I only know one fellow that has an HH, and he says he can't loan out equipment because he is a tester
    for a net' zine. I figure he just has a rule, and that is fine.
    Last edited by Lyndon; 03-30-2009 at 23:10.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The Clark is not a side sleeper for sure. I have the UL and a slight roll to one side or the other is about it. I normally sleep on my side at home but have no trouble sleeping on my back in the UL. Know what you mean by that leg cramp thing and feeling trapped in any hammock.

Did not sell the explorer for the lower offer but it is sold. The ULBA may still be available and would be a good fit for your stated size.

I'm just wondering if I am doing my setup wrong, and also, what extra touches on the hook ups you guys would suggest for quick setup and break down I could add to the basic Clark lines?
    Adding a ridgeline will help to get the same set up everytime. The Clark is easy to get a slightly different lay each time. I have found that you generally need more sag than you think. I have a pic in my gallery or you can check RAW's thread were he gave lots of detail and pics http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...lark+Ridgeline
    Last edited by hangnout; 03-30-2009 at 23:20.

Hangnout said:
    I have found that you generally need more sag than you think.
    I will keep on playing with that, but have tried quite a few different tensions in the past two summers.

On a off topic, what do you guys use for a grit matt on the ground?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    On a off topic, what do you guys use for a grit matt on the ground?
    I usually carry a couple large garbage bags and use one under the hammock. I can put my boots inside the bag and still get in and out without dragging too much grit back in. Also work great for temp endcaps in a storm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    Cannibal,
    After reading your posts, I don't know if there is a hammock made that you won't eventually crawl into and start the sleep snore serenade!
    Making friends on this site is a very good thing. They let you play with their toys!
    And no, there won't be a hammock made that I haven't at least napped in. I'm on a mission.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast