Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I guessing this isn't a TQ/UQ problem.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    I have a zimmerbuilt hammock pack with a rear down storage pocket that I LOVE now but i kept my down in a single dry bag that I squished and attached to my pack with 1/8 bungees. Worked for years that way. Bust wishes on your trip.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    If you REALLY need light weight strap a pad to the outside of your pack. Of course, that could snag in the underbrush you're cutting through.

Outside of that, down quilts are about the lightest and most compact you'll find. What would you normally carry on a trip like this, and how does it compare to your quilts?

I've got to admit, this is an unusual question. Usually down quilts are the solution to lighter, more compressible insulation!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Mike View Post
    I tend to be the same, but this trip will be a killer, even if I had no pack on my back.
    We're looking to cover about 50 miles, on a trail that pretty much doesn't exist, through very ruggid, rocky country. Basically 50 miles of bush whacking.

I'm going to be using/testing a new sleeping bag liner my wife's online store should be carrying soon provided I can source the fleece and a decent price. The liner is fleece, wrapped in a light weight thermal reflective fabric (R8 they say) with two internal pockets for either shake and bake heaters, or other heaters. Even this is bigger then I would like. Compressed, it comes down to about the size of a nfl football.

Weight wise, hammock, tarp (using a cheap poly tarp this trip) rigging and sleeping back/liner/stuff sacks are under 5lb).

For your quilts, how small can you get them down to?
    I much rather carry my try and trusted 30l pack over a 50l.
    Yes that sounds like a rough trip alright. But you say your pack weighs 5 lbs? My packs that weigh that much will hold some huge volume.

But while it often comes down to budget, and since your question is about fitting UQs/TQs into your pack, consider this: an UQ/TQ combo should not be much larger than a long sized sleeping bag/hood, especially if it is not a narrow bag. A TQ/UQ combo is essentially a sleeping bag which has been cut in half, so that the bottom half can be wrapped around the hammock rather than you laying directly on top of the bottom half. Another version is a PeaPod, which is just an extra wide/long sleeping bag which is designed for the entire thing to be wrapped around the hammock.

Now it's true that your UQ might be a little wider or longer to accommodate the hammock size, but then again there is the short style like the 12.5 oz WB Yeti, and a TQ should not take up any more room than the top half of a sleeping bag, maybe even less. So in that case, you might well need even less weight/room than using your sleeping bag.

Point is: there is no real reason that a TQ/UQ should take up any more room in your pack than your sleeping bag you used on the ground, and which can be used in a hammock. Now if you want to use your sleeping bag in the hammock for top warmth, and also want to use an UQ for bottom warmth, well now you are definitely into some extra gear/volume/weight. Although, even in that case, you might be able to replace a thick, heavy ground pad with the UQ, so that might be a toss up or even weight/volume saver. But, a pad can be mighty nice to have if you are ever forced to ground for any reason.

But, some few people are into pads anyway, especially with certain hammocks. In that case, even if you used your ground sleeping bag and pad, you would be exactly the same as on the ground, with the hammock and tarp replacing your tent more or less. And if you used the pad but replaced the sleeping bag with a TQ, you would be ahead of the game with less weight/bulk. This is all assuming equivalent temp ratings and type of insulation in all cases.

Did you mention what type of bag and temp rating you are using? I see you are adding a fleece liner that is the size of a football? That will be a lot of volume and weight for the amount of added warmth compared to just having a quilt set or sleeping bag that is warm enough for expected temps to start with. However, on a super tight budget you have to do what you have to do. Consider layering whatever warm clothing you will already have with you, assuming you can keep it dry. Just make sure that, whatever approach you take, that you are able to keep your head warm like mummy sleeping bag's hood would do. And make sure you are able to have a draft free sleep!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-13-2013 at 09:45.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    I think with the setup I'll be going with, I will be fine for space. Because of budget and time constraints, I will be going with the sleeping bag/liner approach. Doing some reading and vid/pic reviews of what others use, I noticed the setuplooked huge and bulky.
    As for the trip... I'm lucky to be travelling with another avid outdoors person and a good friend. The area we will be in is hard to access, no cell coverage and without proper planning, a few days rescue if things go bad. In short, we're on our own, even with the beacon. Provided the batteries get here in time, this will be my first video documented trip as well as first hammock camping trip.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey NM,

I've been using variations on the following 3-bag technique for 30+ years of canoeing and hiking and have almost never had a problem with wet sleeping bags. I've been able to get my 4 season down quilts compressed to the size of about 2 loaves of wonderbread.

1. Stuff all my bedding into a large lightweight uncoated nylon sack, squeeze the bundle and tighten the drawstring
    2. Tightly wrap the bundle with a length of rope (I use my 30m bearbag rope), really cinching it down as you go. Use the leverage to get the quilts as small as possible.
    3. Drop the trussed quilts into a tough plastic garbage bag and simply twisted the top
    4. Drop that bundle into another lightweight nylon bag (preferable a waterproof silnylon bag) to protect the plastic bag from punctures. You should be able to easily roll the top and seal as all the compression has been done already.

Works for me.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Nothing new to add...
    I'm another trash compactor bag person... I put my UQ / TQ in there without using stuff sacks.
    This is an area where down material helps greatly.
    Do you really need the sleeping bag liner? You might consider testing that on a less intense trip.
    P.s. enjoy the trip

My sleeping bag, which I use as a top quilt and my underquilt both fit in the sleeping bag compartment of my backpack. Hammock and rainfly go in my pack at the top so I can set up my fly quickly if it rains. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    What a Great place to be going on a hike. I like to prospect and I had the same problem with bulk and when stealth panning there is a lot of bush whacking going on so I needed things tight and inside as much as possible and not to bulky so I could carry some necessary equipment. This is the very reason we came out with the ISULHAMMOCK, size and function, nothing to forget very small and very warm but most of all "complete" and easy to use. when bush whacking or a long day on the trail or hiking in the rain when I get to camp I want set up short and sweet. I carry my tarp in a pocket on the outside of my pack and my Isulhammock in a TCB to keep it dry. once I find where I'm going to camp it takes me 1 min. yes 1 min. to pitch tarp and hang my hammock. there's no wrong way but I need speed of set up and this is what works for me. happy hiking and be real safe out there,I don't want to have to come rescue you....well ok you can fake it if you have to to just get me there,LOL

I forgot to tell my pack weight: I'm using a old medalist Universal from the 80"s and a 3 day out weight of 28lbs and I'm a big eater
    Last edited by crackrbilly; 09-13-2013 at 10:32.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Thanks for all the info.
    The OP was to see how you guys did it with the quilts as all the pics and vids I have seen make them look way to bulky for a long tough trip.

Because of time and budget, this trip will be without hammock quilts and will be with my hiking sleeping bag with liner. I will definitely be looking to improve the arrangement with the information I gain on this trip. Messing around with the hammock setup, I can say this will be the only trip with a poly tarp and probably the ENO hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast