U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    This is my average comfortable load.....quilts and all.
    Carry forth and have a fun trip.
    Shug

If you cant learn something from Shug - you aint breathing!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Mike View Post
    Thanks for all the info.
    The OP was to see how you guys did it with the quilts as all the pics and vids I have seen make them look way to bulky for a long tough trip.

Because of time and budget, this trip will be without hammock quilts and will be with my hiking sleeping bag with liner. I will definitely be looking to improve the arrangement with the information I gain on this trip. Messing around with the hammock setup, I can say this will be the only trip with a poly tarp and probably the ENO hammock.
    Fair enough.

Just one question: have you tested your sleeping bag/liner combo in the 30s with your hammock? If not, you may find out that you need additional under insulation. Which would be...suboptimal...~20 miles of bushwhacking from the nearest help.

If you've already tested it, please disregard this. Just trying to help ensure that you have a safe trip.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    As for the trip... I'm lucky to be travelling with another avid outdoors person and a good friend. The area we will be in is hard to access, no cell coverage and without proper planning, a few days rescue if things go bad. In short, we're on our own, even with the beacon. Provided the batteries get here in time, this will be my first video documented trip as well as first hammock camping trip.
    Tough trip, lots of untested gear, no 'extras' (insulation, food,clothes,?), perhaps not in very good shape (since the carried weight seems to be a big factor) - it could be a great adventure!
    Good thing you are taking the video camera and batteries to record the fun!
    Very 21st century!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Fair enough.

Just one question: have you tested your sleeping bag/liner combo in the 30s with your hammock? If not, you may find out that you need additional under insulation. Which would be...suboptimal...~20 miles of bushwhacking from the nearest help.

If you've already tested it, please disregard this. Just trying to help ensure that you have a safe trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Tough trip, lots of untested gear, no 'extras' (insulation, food,clothes,?), perhaps not in very good shape (since the carried weight seems to be a big factor) - it could be a great adventure!
    Good thing you are taking the video camera and batteries to record the fun!
    Very 21st century!
    Figured I would reply to both quotes in one reply.
    I'm testing a lot of new gear this trip as I lost most of my tested and loved gear in the flooding we had this spring. If it hadn't been for the flooding, the hammock would be the only new piece.
    That being said, I've camped with a lot less and do have the poly tarp and tree branches should something go wrong with the hammock.
    September is normally when I get out to do my once a year adventure trip. The last few years has been with the same sleeping bag (saved from the flood as it was upstairs) in a tent with no mat.

A slightly off topic question being as this has shifted from my OP.... How would sleeping in a hammock with a sleeping bag instead of an underquilt compare to sleeping on the ground, no mat (just tent floor)?

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    You will be suprised at how much warmth you lose out the bottom of the hammock. Remember the ground provides some amount of insulation. In a hammock there will be zero insulation...well maybe 10% remaining from your sleeping bag if it is synthetic 0% if it is down. I wouold at the very least take a torso length ccf pad. But that is just me.

My hammock, winter sock, 20*f top quilt(down) ,20*f 3/4 length underquilt(down), and small ccf pad for under my feet take up the bottom third of my pack. total weight is:
    TQ 23.6oz
    UQ 17oz
    Hammock with sock 11oz
    Foot pad and ground sheet 7.5oz
    Total is 59.1oz or 3.69 LBs
    Tarp (WB Superfly) is roughly the size of a 1L Smartwater bottle and weighs 29oz with all stakes. Bringing me up to 88.1oz or 5.5LBs.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    To the ground you only have to worry about conductive heat loss. In a hammock you contend with convection, making your under insulation much more important.

It's been too long since my heat transfer classes, but basically convection is some LARGE factor more efficient at removing heat than conduction. In a hammock you're 20*F bag - compressed under you - wouldn't even keep you warm at 40*F. You'd feel warm on top, and cold underneath.
    Last edited by Boston; 09-13-2013 at 14:01.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Figured I would reply to both quotes in one reply.
    I'm testing a lot of new gear this trip as I lost most of my tested and loved gear in the flooding we had this spring. If it hadn't been for the flooding, the hammock would be the only new piece.
    That being said, I've camped with a lot less and do have the poly tarp and tree branches should something go wrong with the hammock.
    September is normally when I get out to do my once a year adventure trip. The last few years has been with the same sleeping bag (saved from the flood as it was upstairs) in a tent with no mat.

A slightly off topic question being as this has shifted from my OP.... How would sleeping in a hammock with a sleeping bag instead of an underquilt compare to sleeping on the ground, no mat (just tent floor)?
    I offer this to keep you warm in the hammock.....
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    NoMike- You will be very cold if you do not bring at least a closed cell foam pad to put under you. Convective heat loss is greatly exaggerated in a hammock compared to sleeping on the ground. On the ground you mostly have conductive heat loss which is much less.
    Seriously, if you are not bringing a UQ, a ccf pad is the minimum requirement to stay even remotely warm while sleeping.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    I'm old enough to know better then to argue with experience, so I'll be looking at picking up a mat before heading out (budget and time not going to permit underquilt thoughts).
    Found a pair of trees in the yard to test hang in the yard. Not great trees (pine and a maple). View also sucks as its behind the garage, but it will work. Going to be 0'C or -1'C tonight, so we'll see how the setup works (without a mat until I can get to town).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Have a safe and fun trip. I look forward to seeing the video.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast