Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    sewing slippery fabrics takes a lot of practice. like everyone else said, well cleaned oiled machine, correctly threaded bobbin, light tension on the fabric while you sew and a sharp new needle. as far as keeping the top and bottom fabric lined up, I got a walking foot for my machine and it is awesome.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    It is a cheap Brother machine that my wife has had for about 20 years. She used it throughout High school and college making Costumes for Theater, so it has seen a fair amount of use. It seems to grab and move every other material just fine, but with sil the dogs move and the fabric just sits there.
    Something is not right- either you have a piece of 'gummy' silnylon or a machine problem.

I don't know if a replacement machine is 'on your horizon' or not. My wife encouraged me to 'get my own' machine and I recently bought a Pfaff 150 Select (under $400, but still $$) which has 'top feed'.

Shortly thereafter, I had to do a repair on my wife's ("our" ) sewing machine, so I'm now back to using the Pfaff 1222E. "Gotta make sure the repair and adjustment are OK"

But, any quality machine in good adjustment should do the job for gear making. I got an Elna Super for $40 that sews silnylon perfectly.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Well, thanks to all of you I have made a diy stuff sack out of 1.1 sil ! I know a stuff sack is no big deal but that means with your tips I was able to get a decent stitch. I switched the needle out for a 90/14 and cleaned all the parts with a alcohol pad as suggested. I did 2 inches of stitching and then would change the upper tension and do it again to figure out the correct tension. I see many projects in my future with the sil. I used my very old and very used eno tarp the other night and ended up a bit wet so I see a new tarp coming soon. Thanks again to all of you for the advice.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by eviscerate3 View Post
    Well, thanks to all of you I have made a diy stuff sack out of 1.1 sil ! I know a stuff sack is no big deal but that means with your tips I was able to get a decent stitch. I switched the needle out for a 90/14 and cleaned all the parts with a alcohol pad as suggested. I did 2 inches of stitching and then would change the upper tension and do it again to figure out the correct tension. I see many projects in my future with the sil. I used my very old and very used eno tarp the other night and ended up a bit wet so I see a new tarp coming soon. Thanks again to all of you for the advice.

Good!!

pat9381 - How do i adjust needle tension? I am only a few months into teaching myself to sew. Unfortunately I do not have anyone local to teach me hands on. Have watched a lot of youtube videos and read a lot on here. What needle would you recommend for sil?

Every machine has it's own tension adjustment. Refer to (or download) the owner's manual will get you on the right track. There are two tensions: the needle tension and the bobbin tension. Normally, the bobbin tension is left alone between machine tune-ups. The needle tension is usually a numbered dial. One tension setting will work for a range of applications. When you change fabric, you change application. Basically, when the tension is perfect, the bobbin thread and the needle thread meet in the middle of the fabric. When you move to a thinner material, the space between the top and the bottom narrows and that is what you are fine tuning.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    Tiny needle, bigger stitch length, and hand-feed (since the autofeeder can't grab the slick fabric). My seamstress HATES working with silnylon, and is much happier now that I do my own work (and she can focus on my wife's clothes). I'm still not good at it, but getting better with practice. Have made a tarp, stuff sacks, a DIY hammock, and snake skins. The early stuff sucked.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123