Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images

Testing my Cold(er) weather gear

I am in the process of testing out my cold(er), not Shug cold but cold for me, weather gear. I have a planned outing Oct 4-6th with a group that will be in the NW corner of PA where overnight temps should go below 32F.

I am open to suggestions on how to improve this set up to keep me warm.

Below is a cut/paste from the log I am keeping as I go through the process. It is worth noting this is a motorcycle trip at a PA state park so weight is not a major concern.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/17/2013 - Night 3 - Cold weather (40F) gear test.

Gear:
    Hennessy Hammock & HH Tarp
    JRB UQ - The Nest (rated 20F)
    DIY down TQ w/PL for added warmth - I think I need more down on top & need the TQ wider. The TQ is only 50' wide

Clothing:
    Fleece top
    Fleece Bottom
    Wool Sock
    Fleece watch cap
    Hot Water Bottle in a wool sock

Weather for tonight:
    Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 45. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

It has been a while since I have been able to get out for my weekly overnight gear testing. Life seems to get into the way.

I need to get my cold weather set up tested and in place as I am going to be heading to NW PA for 3 days of camping. The lows up there this time of year run below 32F which is more than I have ever hammock camped in.

Assuming tonight is too cold, I will swap out tarp and blankets tomorrow night to go with wool. I will also set up PL over the ridge line to act has a heat capture point. PA will be 10F colder than where I am now so I need to be toasty in my hammock for me to sleep in PA in it.

Update to follow to this post tomorrow AM

Temps got into the low 40's last night. How low? I am not sure as I can't find the number any place and I did not check the temp until 9AM when it was 49F.

I was able to sleep last night from 11PM to 630AM. I woke up a number of times pretty darn chilly and was really glad I had made up the hot water bottle. I found my shoulders were what kept getting cold so perhaps a CCF pad under them or I just to stop knocking the TQ off my shoulders. CCF will be a last resort as I find it not to be very comfortable in the HH.

The watch cap was most excellent. My face got cold but my head never did. The cap is a keeper.

I do not believe my current configuration will be acceptable down to 30's so tonight will be another outside night.

I am going to change out the HH tarp for my 12 x 12 Kelty and put some doors on it to help hold in heat. I am also going to add in my wool blanket to the set up along with using my PL as a drape over the bug screen. I believe that will up the temp inside the hammock by at least 10F degrees.

Another issue I had was hanging the hammock too low! My butt was almost on the ground and I had one heck of a time getting out of it this AM. So, that is another adjustment I will make today.

Images
    to kee the quilt on your shoulders, most, if not all, will add a small button to the corner, and run a shock cord through the top edge. That allows you to snap the top corners together creating a head hole, and the drawstring keeps it snug against you.
    A hat or two and something for your face, balaclavas work great. Also, get a neck gaiter, priceless in the cold. I bought a wool buff last season and liked it better than the thick fleece gaiters.
    A pair of wool fingerless gloves are usually all I wear until its good past freezing. Those $7 ones you get from army surplus stores are great. Fox River makes better ones.
    Pre-warming the quilts goes along way as you noticed.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Thanks...good suggestions!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    to kee the quilt on your shoulders, most, if not all, will add a small button to the corner, and run a shock cord through the top edge. That allows you to snap the top corners together creating a head hole, and the drawstring keeps it snug against you.
    A hat or two and something for your face, balaclavas work great. Also, get a neck gaiter, priceless in the cold. I bought a wool buff last season and liked it better than the thick fleece gaiters.
    A pair of wool fingerless gloves are usually all I wear until its good past freezing. Those $7 ones you get from army surplus stores are great. Fox River makes better ones.
    Pre-warming the quilts goes along way as you noticed.
    +1 on the shoulder solutions. The main thing about getting out of a sleeping bag and under a TQ- and for that matter on top of an UQ- is to block drafts. Until you can control the drafts, there is no way to be as warm as zipped up inside a bag. Plus, most mummy bags have fantastic hoods and neck draft collars that add tremendously to warmth. So to be competitive you have to make up for that.

Good luck on your experiments!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    +1 on the shoulder solutions. The main thing about getting out of a sleeping bag and under a TQ- and for that matter on top of an UQ- is to block drafts. Until you can control the drafts, there is no way to be as warm as zipped up inside a bag. Plus, most mummy bags have fantastic hoods and neck draft collars that add tremendously to warmth. So to be competitive you have to make up for that.

Good luck on your experiments!
    Thanks! I appear to have been on the quest to collect the most gear. Now I am trying to test it all to see what works for me and what does not.

• + New Posts