Night Owl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator/BA Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and a loop.

Double or single layer Hammock

I'm hoping someone with some experience can share their knowledge.

I'm 275 lbs, so I'm right on edge of what most vendors recommend for double 1.1 or single 2.3

I'm also not sure if I'm going to want a 10" or 11" hammock. I'm just shy of 6'.

I currently use a Big Agnes bag with a pocket for my exped mat, and I'll probably purchase an UQ someday, so I don't need the double layer for my pad. The mat has been keeping in place fine underneath me in my BA bag pocket.

I have a Kelty Noah 12x12 so it will cover any size (someday I'll upgrade to a lighter tarp).

So my questions are these:

is a 2.3 or double 1.1 material preferable and why?
    10' or 11' length?
    for vendors that let you specify width, how wide and why?

Hammocks on my short list are:
    Roaming Gnome
    Thunderbird
    XLC Blackbird
    Night Owl (and then I'll need to get a bug net and ridgeline)

The main reason I want my hammock to be my next purchase is that the Easy Traveler it much too small for me so I can' get a diagonal lay.

BTW, if you get an 11 ft hammock, it is possible to just retie the end knots 6 inches down on both sides to effectively turn it into a 10' hammock?

Thanks for any input or advice you can give.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I am 230# and prefer the 1.1 double over the 1.5 or 1.7 dl, I feel the 1.1 let's you stretch out a bit more, but that is me. I have had a WBBB 1.1 and 1/7 dl, length was fine, I am 6'. I did just get a WL lightowl, it is a 1.1 dl and 11', but I have not hung in it yet.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    If your worried about being safe you are not that heavy but i get it, take a look at these from treklight.
    I own several of these and i love them, i weigh in at 350lbs and am in the peocess of making a dbl layer because i want complete piece of mind that i am safe but i have never had a problem with one of these.
    Also these hammocks are very well made and very light, check them out
    http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...ammock-5p2.htm

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    FWIW, I've tried several doubles and finally landed on a 2.3 single layer Freebird. At 230 lbs and 6' 3" I opted for the 11 footer, I have had trouble in a 9 or 10 footer (calf ridge pressure). I went without the bug net, per PappaSmurf's recommendations, but if I was to get an attached net hammock it would probably be a single layer Gnome or Dangerbird.There is nothing wrong with a double layer, it's just a means to get maximum weight holding capacity, and a place for a pad for some users. Choose two light weight layers to get to, or above, your weight and go for it.
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Dream Hammocks has a pretty good calculator that will work not only for their hammocks, but anyone elses.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/HammockCalculator.html
    What I see is that at your weight of 275 lbs, the 1.1/1.1 is the only one that will work and even it doesn't give you much leeway. Don't know how tall you are, but guessing you're tall enough to need the 11 ft model.

Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Double or single layer Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by bradray View Post
    I'm hoping someone with some experience can share their knowledge.

I'm 275 lbs, so I'm right on edge of what most vendors recommend for double 1.1 or single 2.3

I'm also not sure if I'm going to want a 10" or 11" hammock. I'm just shy of 6'.

Hammocks on my short list are:
    Roaming Gnome
    Thunderbird
    XLC Blackbird
    Night Owl (and then I'll need to get a bug net and ridgeline)

The main reason I want my hammock to be my next purchase is that the Easy Traveler it much too small for me so I can' get a diagonal lay.

BTW, if you get an 11 ft hammock, it is possible to just retie the end knots 6 inches down on both sides to effectively turn it into a 10' hammock?

Thanks for any input or advice you can give.
    I am around 220 and asked randy from dream hammocks the same thing. I own a wbbb double layer 1.1 and love it but recently tryed a 11ft gnome at a 101 hammock class put on by underground quilts. I am 5 8" and found the 11 ft sleeps flatter then my 10 ft and alot more comfortable. I have decided on a single 1.9 in a gnome material to keep the cost down and weight I don't need the micro climate cover but living in mi need the bug cover.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Check out the Switchback Classic by Tree to Trail Gear. Come in different thicknesses.

http://www.tttrailgear.com/switchbac...layer-hammock/

Hammock
    Night Owl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator/BA Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and a loop.

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's input. I am not really too worried about safety, I can handle a fall or 2 if it ever came to that as I am normally not very far off the ground. For me it is more about comfort and whether or not my weight will make a lighter fabric stretch so much that it is no longer comfortable.

I'll need to go check out some of the links you guys posted. I'm trying to decide between a gnome, thunderbird, xlc blackbird, or night owl. I'll check out the list and see if I need to add any more to the comparison. It will take me a while to save up the money, hopefully I might find an opportunity to try some of them out to help me make my decision.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I might be getting a ENO Doublenester for my birthday in a few weeks, as it is on my Wish List at REI and my wife knows that I've been pining for a better hammock. I'm sure that will get me through my waiting period to save up for something better.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

• + New Posts