WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Yes, I suppose even with all the plethera of information provided here, I will still have to freeze my *** off on my own accord before I get the picture. I will do it close to home though

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    Yes, I suppose even with all the plethera of information provided here, I will still have to freeze my *** off on my own accord before I get the picture. I will do it close to home though
    Yep, gotta learn for yourself what works for you. Some people need a lot more insulation than others. Then there is Neo.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Bottom insulation, by whatever path you choose is a must at or below 75* for 95% of us.....Especially, for females and those over 55, as they routinely sleep colder.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Just my $.02:

I've got the Clark NX-200.
    It's a great hammock. I really can't say enough positive things about it or the folks that make it. Give them a call on the phone, and you'll see what I mean.

A regular sleeping bag AIN'T gonna cut it.
    A Big Agnes with the integrated pad-sleeve would be acceptable.
    It's what I started hanging with . . . even upgraded to a new down BA setup late last year.
    But then I tried a topquilt. It really is SOooo much better for hammock use than a sleeping bag of any sort.

And the Clark pockets do work as advertised. You start putting stuff in the pockets . . . you'll feel a difference. I even had MrPrez make me some small, down pocket-quilts. And those work really well.

But in my experience, anything below 20º . . . you'll want an underquilt that covers the entire bottom of the hammock.

Having said that, you may be able to come up with your own system of dual-use items.

For example . . . maybe putting all of your clothes in the Clark pockets (stuff you're carrying anyway) and then adding the JRB-modded Driducks poncho underneath would suit you just fine. I wish I had some more cold weather to attempt the poncho + pocket-quilt combo.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    Just my $.02:

I've got the Clark NX-200.
    It's a great hammock. I really can't say enough positive things about it or the folks that make it. Give them a call on the phone, and you'll see what I mean.

A regular sleeping bag AIN'T gonna cut it.
    A Big Agnes with the integrated pad-sleeve would be acceptable.
    It's what I started hanging with . . . even upgraded to a new down BA setup late last year.
    But then I tried a topquilt. It really is SOooo much better for hammock use than a sleeping bag of any sort.

And the Clark pockets do work as advertised. You start putting stuff in the pockets . . . you'll feel a difference. I even had MrPrez make me some small, down pocket-quilts. And those work really well.

But in my experience, anything below 20º . . . you'll want an underquilt that covers the entire bottom of the hammock.

Having said that, you may be able to come up with your own system of dual-use items.

For example . . . maybe putting all of your clothes in the Clark pockets (stuff you're carrying anyway) and then adding the JRB-modded Driducks poncho underneath would suit you just fine. I wish I had some more cold weather to attempt the poncho + pocket-quilt combo.
    I dont know how to take this statement but I will try not to go out of bounds here. Raw has stated some great thing's in his post and has done allot with his hammock so I can't say this with out an explanation.

I have every time went with a sleeping bag and a (cheap self inflatable pad ) and have never had any problems. I don't own or use a underquilt or overquilt not saying there not the cat's meow but I have had no problem with out them. I have seen temps in the low teens on many occasions and had my tarp and hammock iced over twice and all I had was the above. We all sleep differently and our bodies handle thing differently I think a " good" bag and the right kind of clothing you can do well in. I have a 0 degree bag and a 20 degree bag and find that I do better with the 20 degree bag because I don's sweat near as easy with it as I do the 0 degree bag.

So to say a sleeping bag will not cut it is just a matter of opinion and we are all entitled to our own.

Don't beat me up to bad Raw LOL

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post

Don't beat me up to bad Raw LOL

Haha.
    I guess I should have explained that statement a little better.
    I was thinking about sleeping bag use in regard to OP's needs.
    As others have mentioned the bottom insulation in a sleeping bag is essentially just wasted weight and space in your pack.

So, it was mostly sarahgirl's requirement for less weight and bulk that prompted me to say a sleeping bag wasn't gonna cut it.

Cuz she'll end up bringing the sleeping bag PLUS an inflatable pad or foam pad, I'm thinking.

But I think cavediver just sleeps a lot warmer than me. Don't you work around radiation, cavediver? maybe that explains it.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    Haha.
    I guess I should have explained that statement a little better.
    I was thinking about sleeping bag use in regard to OP's needs.
    As others have mentioned the bottom insulation in a sleeping bag is essentially just wasted weight and space in your pack.

So, it was mostly sarahgirl's requirement for less weight and bulk that prompted me to say a sleeping bag wasn't gonna cut it.

Cuz she'll end up bringing the sleeping bag PLUS an inflatable pad or foam pad, I'm thinking.

But I think cavediver just sleeps a lot warmer than me. Don't you work around radiation, cavediver? maybe that explains it.
    No rad's here I get a yearly statement telling my doses. and I don't have any yet. Now being about 40 pounds over weight might have something to do with it but I have always as a kid even been a warm sleeper.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Now being about 40 pounds over weight might have something to do with it but I have always as a kid even been a warm sleeper.
    I've got some "built-in insulation" too.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images
    I have used my Clark NA in temps down to -22 C (-8 F)and I must say that nothing is more toasty than a down UQ and a decent sleeping bag. This past weekend, it went down to -4 C(25 F) and I was using a Thermarest Prolite 4 underpad and a down TQ and was fine. As the temps get up I will switch to just a top quilt and piece of reflectix underneath.

I never seem to have enough spare clothes to stuff in the pockets for insulation so I can't say how well that works. I keep meaning to try the ziplock bags in the pockets as well.

With everything I have tried I would say the down UQ and TQ combination is the best. Yes, they are expensive. But with proper care they will last a long time.
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Wow. I never thought of myself as a 'cold' sleeper. My experience prior to hammocks was always within 5*F of what the rating on bags were sometimes right on. That said I took my down-mat outside this last weekend at 31*. The down had apparently shifted to the front of the bag and so while my upper body was comfortable my butt, legs and feet were uncomfortably cold within 45 minutes. Putting them on top of the down in my bag's footbox did nothing to help.

I was puzzeled until I came inside and deflated the mat and could feel the down at the top of the mat and nothing in the foot end. There is no way I could just get in a bag and tackle that temperature and on that part of my body the pockets would have no impact. If someone can sleep at 30*F in a bag on the fabric then God-bless 'em. I wish I could so I could drop the 2lbs of Exped I carry but there is no way. Not for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast